News Forum - Should monks be fit? Pics of monks in gym stir online anger

Thaiger

Some buff Buddhist monks doing reps in robes have gone viral as images of them working out in a gym caused uproar on the internet. The photos were posted yesterday on the Buddhist News Facebook page by a man who refers to himself as an abbott and claimed he invited residents of his temple to get some exercise. “I understand that monks are prone to becoming overweight and developing NCDs [non-communicable diseases], so I invited health professionals to help the monks at my temple get in shape and take better care of themselves.” The original post did not give a […]

The story Should monks be fit? Pics of monks in gym stir online anger as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Others who were offended by the images said that exercise is not within the realm of the duties that monks are required to perform." 

If as a Buddhist, you're offended by something, you're doing Buddhism wrong. 

• Like 2

I applaud the Abbott in seeking to see his Monks are fit and healthy to carryout their duties, often to the benefit of the villagers and others they serve.

Whether publicising the fact on the internet was really necessary would be dependent on the reason for doing so. Seems quite harmless to me, but by the article a few people would appear to disagree with my opinion! (Not the first time that has happened! 😀)

• Like 2

Excercise is ok, but isn't there supposed to be no attachments and excercing machines are an attachment, and if bought by the people's donations sort of putting money in the wrong place? Next you might see temples putting in swimming pools for monks to do laps and lounge out on chairs to get some sunshine and rest. 

But whatever as it seems harmless for the most part, but I think I might have to draw the line with Monks on Steroids.

• Like 3

Not sure how keeping your body fit can be seen as wrong. Maybe different if these guys were working out down the local Gym. Of course there are other ways to keep fit too just walking a decent distance every day will do it coupled with eating the right amount of food.

• Like 1