News Forum - Virus expert tells Thailand’s masses to top up for pandemic fight

Thaiger

One of Thailand’s top virologists last night insisted that it is vital everyone in the kingdom tops up on their vaccination jabs with a booster shot to defeat Covid-19. Dr Yong Poovorawan likened getting vaccinated to training the body’s immune system to become a frontline soldier in fighting off invading diseases. “The Covid-19 virus does not just invade our body head-on, but also mutates or disguises itself, so the soldiers cannot identify it as a threat and the virus eventually sneaks past our defence. “This means you can contract Covid-19 no matter how many jabs you have had.” The 71 […]

The story Virus expert tells Thailand’s masses to top up for pandemic fight as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The new Omicron targeted vaccines plus population level immunity via previous infection, are looking promising to put the pandemic truly behind us.

Be good to see the Thais properly unmasking too.  Happening but very slowly. This is no longer a proportionate response and simply unnecessary at this stage. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rc1 said:

The new Omicron targeted vaccines plus population level immunity via previous infection, are looking promising to put the pandemic truly behind us.

Be good to see the Thais properly unmasking too.  Happening but very slowly. This is no longer a proportionate response and simply unnecessary at this stage. 

Not sure if you have been to Bangkok but, on a recent visit, I would say that 95% of Thais are still wearing masks. A similar percentage of Farangs are not.

23 minutes ago, Chaimai said:

Not sure if you have been to Bangkok but, on a recent visit, I would say that 95% of Thais are still wearing masks. A similar percentage of Farangs are not.

Yes, am aware, unfortunately was hoping land of smiles would return a bit faster than it is.

For the Thais at this point in the pandemic the mass masking is really serving no purpose, and putting them out of step with the rest of the world. Especially not good for the children. 

However it is very slowly receding, maybe 1% a week!!

1 hour ago, rc1 said:

For the Thais at this point in the pandemic the mass masking is really serving no purpose, and putting them out of step with the rest of the world. Especially not good for the children. 

It's no longer enforced, but up to the individual or establishment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

It's no longer enforced, but up to the individual or establishment.

Yes, but when (pretty much all) the establishments still require it, don't expect to see much unmasking going on. In BKK, for example, you get up to go to work. I believe most residential buildings require it in the elevators. Then you get to the MRT/BTS which require it. Then you get to your office building which requires it. After work, you go to Big C/Lotus/supermarket, which require it. Then back to the MRT/BTS......

Edited by Leo
  • Like 1
  • Angry 2

46 minutes ago, Leo said:

Yes, but when (pretty much all) the establishments still require it, don't expect to see much unmasking going on. In BKK, for example, you get up to go to work. I believe most residential buildings require it in the elevators. Then you get to the MRT/BTS which require it. Then you get to your office building which requires it. After work, you go to Big C/Lotus/supermarket, which require it. Then back to the MRT/BTS......

Are you sure this isn't a misconception in your belief that because most Thais still voluntary choose to wear masks, it must be compulsory. Are there signs on these stores 'Wearing masks is compulsory in this area' for example.
On the contrary, although not Bangkok, I witness as many as 10 - 20% of Thais choosing not to wear masks, including in Big C, Tops, Makro and other retail stores. They are no signs, nor are they challenged by staff or security. I've gone maskless in stores, the local Amphoe office, and Immigration with not a word said.
In the local villages, only roughly 10% of Thais still continue to wear a mask, the largest majority do not any more. Even the medical staff of the local Health centre no longer wear masks.

• Like 3