News Forum - Thailand to make ฿400 billion from Indian weddings before year end, claims TAT

Thaiger

Indian weddings are a “multi-billion dollar industry” that Thailand plans on tapping into, according to Deputy Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Siripakorn Chaewsamoot. The TAT said they want to bump up Thailand’s tourism revenue for 2022 up to 600 – 700 billion baht (US$16 – 19 billion) by the end of the year – by targeting Indian wedding parties and honeymooners. So far this year – between Jan 1 and August 28 – Thailand has generated 186 billion baht in total from 4.2 million tourists, according to the TAT. To hit the minimum target of 600 billion […]

The story Thailand to make ฿400 billion from Indian weddings before year end, claims TAT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 2

Yea sure, 30k weddings in 4 months that's 250 a day. With 400 guests at each wedding? So that's 100k Indians arriving every day? 250 planes full of Indians, every day...

Dream on 🤭🤭🤭

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The TAT said they want to bump up Thailand’s tourism revenue for 2022 up to 600 – 700 billion baht (US$16 – 19 billion) by the end of the year –

Seems like TAT is back from their covid hibernation, the good old fantasy numbers are back again!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

In reaction to this article (source: Reuters) & to the previous posters who took what was written for granted:

Reuters messed up (AKA: don't take news without proper sources for granted, and persevere all the way down to the original source). 

The TAT actually expects/forecasts/wetly dreams that Indian wedding parties including post-wedding expenditure will generate up to 22.5 billion baht ($627.8 million) in revenue this year (which is far-off from the stated ฿600-700 billion or $16-19 billion!)

It's still ridiculously ambitious, but not to the extreme extent that the article suggests. If something is too unbelievable to be true, it probably is...

One thing is for sure, Indians do get married here in big groups and do have huge parties on large boats on the Chao Playa. Used to watch them from my balcony at the Shangrila going up and down many times through the year and years. 

How can they do it when it takes a month of chasing paperwork from one agency to another... getting translations to THAI... getting it all notarized... then waiting for the provincial somebody to sign it all???

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Indian weddings are a “multi-billion dollar industry” that Thailand plans on tapping into, according to Deputy Governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Siripakorn Chaewsamoot. The TAT said they want to bump up Thailand’s tourism revenue for 2022 up to 600 – 700 billion baht (US$16 – 19 billion) by the end of the year – by targeting Indian wedding parties and honeymooners. So far this year – between Jan 1 and August 28 – Thailand has generated 186 billion baht in total from 4.2 million tourists, according to the TAT. To hit the minimum target of 600 billion […]

The story Thailand to make ฿400 billion from Indian weddings before year end, claims TAT as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

image.png.9819ae930b1e420cdbca05e1779e84ef.png

Edited by Thommo
  • Like 1

I won't be recommending Thailand, especially Phuket, for anyone to visit, its a constant building site wherever you turn near me, Baan Puri apartments in Bangtao is in a constant state of renovation disturbing the peace and quiet and making it difficult to breathe with the almighty fumes of whatever it is they've been using for the past few weeks, there's still no sunbeds or umbrella's on Surin beach. I can't wait for my contract to be up so I get get the hell out!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mandy said:

I won't be recommending Thailand, especially Phuket, for anyone to visit, its a constant building site wherever you turn near me, Baan Puri apartments in Bangtao is in a constant state of renovation disturbing the peace and quiet and making it difficult to breathe with the almighty fumes of whatever it is they've been using for the past few weeks, there's still no sunbeds or umbrella's on Surin beach. I can't wait for my contract to be up so I get get the hell out!

The whole world is a building site, it seems

Can't go many places that there isn't building going on, unfortunately

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The whole world is a building site, it seems

Can't go many places that there isn't building going on, unfortunately

It seems that thailand isn't ready to give tourists the holiday of a lifetime, they've let the tourist destinations slip into disrepair and expect people to be okay about the work around them. I'm sure its not just here but people pay alot of money for a break, so let them have it in peace. 

1 hour ago, Mandy said:

It seems that thailand isn't ready to give tourists the holiday of a lifetime, they've let the tourist destinations slip into disrepair and expect people to be okay about the work around them. I'm sure its not just here but people pay alot of money for a break, so let them have it in peace. 

Do they just forbid building on private land???

No real way to stop it

By the way, it SUCKS when you have building next to you, just no real way to stop that.......

And when they start building it take forever to finish if they finish at all 

in pattaya they work for years on the side walks i think its worst then before big holes everywhere nothing finish