News Forum - Food vendors attack foreign tourist who dined and dashed in Pattaya, Thailand

Thaiger

An intense brawl broke out between a group of food vendors and a foreign tourist who allegedly didn’t pay for his meal on Pattaya’s Walking Street in Nong Phru subdistrict, Bang Lamung district, yesterday at 4.30am. The “European tourist” – whose name and nationality is unknown – allegedly ate from a Thai woman’s food stall and left without paying, so the woman asked him if he wanted to fight. CH3 news reports that another food vendor – a Thai man about 180cm tall wearing a black shirt – jumped in and “kicked” the foreigner. The tourist made a run for […]

The story Food vendors attack foreign tourist who dined and dashed in Pattaya, Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

While the level of violence sounds a little over the top, these food vendors have been on the bones of their arse for so long just to have some cheap charlie eat and run, I understand them getting a bit pissed off.

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The witnesses said Pattaya was not living up to its reputation as a “world-class tourist destination.”

Pattaya’s reputation is a "world class sex paradise".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"An intense brawl broke out between a group of food vendors and a foreign tourist who allegedly didn’t pay for his meal on Pattaya’s Walking Street in Nong Phru subdistrict, Bang Lamung district, yesterday at 4.30am."

I have certainly had more than a few evenings of boozing until the sun rose in my life, but one piece of wisdom that I have gained as I slowly get older is... 

...Rarely do good things happen on Thai streets after 2 AM.

😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

world class tourist destination.....come on....get real !

ever stayed in Pattaya for a couple of weeks ?

Yes theres a golf club and people who kind of think they would be important or rich or both ,

play a little bit golf and yacht or ferrari around -......but mostly spoiled little Thai Chinese Tycoon kiddies

But feelingwise ..... who ever you will ask with pattaya experience will laugh into your face after questions like this

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jafagreg said:

While the level of violence sounds a little over the top, these food vendors have been on the bones of their arse for so long just to have some cheap charlie eat and run, I understand them getting a bit pissed off.

At 50yrs old now, I'm usually home by 12-1am these days

But when I was 30 , I was out most nights until 5-6am and had one hell of a time!   😀

My wife and I life

There were many times we came home at 7am

Now we are already woken up and waiting for the hotel breakfast to open at 7am!   😀

• Like 1

I find this a little tough to envision.  The man eats at the food stall and then leaves.  The vendor does not collect the money at the food stall at the time she presents it to him? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, longwood50 said:

I find this a little tough to envision.  The man eats at the food stall and then leaves.  The vendor does not collect the money at the food stall at the time she presents it to him? 

I can't remember a sit-down food stall that collected the money upon delivering your food on a plate?

Eats, shoots, and leaves. He wasn't making a food panda delivery was he?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

Pattaya’s reputation is a "world class sex paradise".

Nonono it is a number one destination for our Saudi friends wishing to visit the muslim attractions. At least, according to Thai officials it is.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jafagreg said:

There is a harder name than Cheap Charlie. How about thief.

• Like 2

I've watched it for 10 years now in Pattaya you'll always get some Falang thinking he can get away without paying his bill in an Agogo or Beer Bar.

But a food cart where the average is 40-50 baht that's a new low.

However over the past couple of months I've witnessed Falang behaving in a very strange manner (probably due to the widely available Afghan Black being sold openly in most Soi's around the City).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, longwood50 said:

The vendor does not collect the money at the food stall at the time she presents it to him? 

Yes at 4:30am I would collect the money before I even prepared the food.  Not normal in Thailand, but it should be in these times.   

I have seen young trust fund kids trying to use their venmo or apple pay or some other app to pay for a 50 baht meal or a couple beers at a store.  They only have the money Daddy puts into their phone, so in reality have no money in their pocket.  Just ridiculous, but they look cool and have nice phones  5555

Food stall food is lucky to get to 50 baht a serve, (most 20 baht) is he that cheap?

Brings a whole  new meaning to "cheap charlie"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 23RD said:

However over the past couple of months I've witnessed Falang behaving in a very strange manner (probably due to the widely available Afghan Black being sold openly in most Soi's around the City).

I can't imagine anyone buying that............especially if it is from the Africans that sell it in BKK

They all hang out on Soi 13..............

4 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Yes at 4:30am I would collect the money before I even prepared the food.  Not normal in Thailand, but it should be in these times.   

I have seen young trust fund kids trying to use their venmo or apple pay or some other app to pay for a 50 baht meal or a couple beers at a store.  They only have the money Daddy puts into their phone, so in reality have no money in their pocket.  Just ridiculous, but they look cool and have nice phones  5555

I almost never have cash on me and I am 50yrs old

Hang around any Thai teenager or in their 20's, it is all done on their phone

That is how payment is made all over the world now.............

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Food stall food is lucky to get to 50 baht a serve, (most 20 baht) is he that cheap?

Brings a whole  new meaning to "cheap charlie"

You won't get street food meal for 20 Baht anywhere that I have been.

4 sticks of grilled pork perhaps.......

• Like 2

Just had the SP on this incident apparently an African chap (through he was in the UK where they eat for free).

But in Pattaya there's no such thing as a free lunch. 

Might be worth checking his immigration status as well.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Chaimai said:

You won't get street food meal for 20 Baht anywhere that I have been.

4 sticks of grilled pork perhaps.......

I regularly eat at a noodle shop where the most expensive meal is 60 baht, also plenty of street cart noodles cheaper.  I eat at the shop as it has chairs that I can sit on. 

General indicator of quality is the number of patrons who patronize the cart or shop.

( I do live in a large rural town which keeps the prices down)

• Cool 1

15 hours ago, 23RD said:

[Snipped]

"Afghan black" is an opioid, the only thing opioids do, when dosed safely, is create a feeling of euphoria, deep relaxation, and sleepiness.

Now, what drug would make a "falang" (or anyone else) hungry AND violent? 

There is only ONE.

It's legal and glamourised ethyl alcohol!

As for your witnessing strangely behaved falangs, that could be anything, who could honestly say without a full medical assessment?

Probably mental health issues, since most sane drug users, except drunks, go out of their way to avoid drawing attention to themselves for obvious reasons. 

Here's a scientific reality; drug user doesn't, and never did, equal addict, no more than drinker, or even weekend drunk, equals alcoholic. 

Edited by Zorba_the_Geek

19 minutes ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

"Afghan black" is an opioid, the only thing opioids do, when dosed safely, is create a feeling of euphoria, deep relaxation, and sleepiness.

Now, what drug would make a "falang" (or anyone else) hungry AND violent? 

There is only ONE.

It's legal and glamourised ethyl alcohol!

As for your witnessing strangely behaved falangs, that could be anything, who could honestly say without a full medical assessment?

Probably mental health issues, since most sane drug users go out of their way to avoid drawing attention to themselves for obvious reasons. 

Here's a scientific reality; drug user doesn't, and never did, equal addict, no more than drinker, or even weekend drunk, equals alcoholic. 

Many thanks for your breakdown of the effects of illegal substances Zobra my old China I've never tried any myself and don't intend to but always good to hear from an expert. 

• Haha 1

The video on ThaiRath32 led me to believe he really didn't know what he did wrong. He somehow thought the pad Thai he ordered came with spring rolls but only paid for the pad Thai. His second mistake was then attempting to fight back after 2 Thai men starting throwing hands at him. Should of just paid up and walked away. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I almost never have cash on me and I am 50yrs old

Hang around any Thai teenager or in their 20's, it is all done on their phone

That is how payment is made all over the world now.............

At street food vendors and small shops in Thailand they allow you to pay by phone? 

I have done Thai bank transfers with certain larger shops, but not with the street food vendors

4 hours ago, Zorba_the_Geek said:

"Afghan black" is an opioid

Sorry, but incorrect. It is cannabis.   But yes, of course a lot of opium comes from Afghanistan, "black tar heroin" are you thinking of?

"Afghan Black, also known as Black Afghani, is an indica-dominant strain of unknown origins. The top reported aromas are spicy pepper and dank incense. The top reported flavors are hash with a peppery and fruity taste on the exhale."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

At street food vendors and small shops in Thailand they allow you to pay by phone? 

I have done Thai bank transfers with certain larger shops, but not with the street food vendors

By my son's University all the vendors can pay by phone 

I don't think your average street vendor on a random street can though 

Or at least not a lot of them

Funny enough, Cambodia was more advanced even years ago with pay by phone

The tuk tuks took pay by phone!

I love it, I leave my house with just my phone, no keys, no wallet