News Forum - UPDATE: Actress’ rape complaint could expose political corruption in Thailand

Thaiger

UPDATE Two police officers from Chok Chai Police Station in Bangkok have been transferred to the Metropolitan Police Bureau 4 after verbally abusing a rape victim who complained about being drugged and sexually assaulted. The suspect in the case is expected to be questioned today. Last Friday, the rape victim, a Thai actress, and singer-songwriter, joined a Channel 3 talk show, called Hon Kra Sae to share her stories and revealed how police officers from Chok Chai Police Station investigated her case. Aside from being verbally abused by the police when filing a complaint, the actress revealed in the show […]

The story UPDATE: Actress’ rape complaint could expose political corruption in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Last Friday, the rape victim, a Thai actress, and singer-songwriter, joined a Channel 3 talk show, called Hon Kra Sae to share her stories and revealed how police officers from Chok Chai Police Station investigated her case.

Aside from being verbally abused by the police when filing a complaint, the actress revealed in the show that she provided plenty of evidence to the police, like a health check result, a voice message, and screenshots of a chatbox between her and the suspect.

However, the police disregarded the evidence she provided and insisted that it wasn’t enough."

I have no idea who this actress is, but I adore her!

This is an example of what a good media environment can do, and why it is so dangerous when the media is attacked and abused so mercilessly (before the usual whiners begin, no, the media isn't always correct and do make mistakes). This case, or at least what we know about it so far, could so easily have been swept under the carpet and forgotten by powerful people, but now that it is in the public domain, the nice lady has a shot at justice. And, justice is the goal here; her claims need to be tested in court before any conclusions are made as EVERYONE needs to have Rights and Protections.

It is terribly sad that Thai women need to go through this kind of crap before they attain Justice, but each time a powerful person (yes, virtually always a man) is called to account, the situation for Thai women gets a wee bit easier.

I recall my first visits to the Kingdom in the late80's/early90s where the idea that a Thai woman could accuse a powerful Thai man of sex crimes was pretty much unthinkable; it is incredible to see the progress made. My only wish is that Thai women didn't need to suffer before things got better, but sadly that is the way of the world.

Good on the actress, and the next time some powerful creep starts to abuse a lovely Thai woman, I hope that she gives him a swift kick in the Goonies.

• Like 1

There is something deeply rotten at the core of Thai society, and because the authorities and law enforcers are so totally entwined in this morass there can never be any meaningful change. Only a total removal of the elites, the enforcers and their acolytes can resolve this, and we know that such cleansing will not take place. 

36 minutes ago, Pompies said:

There is something deeply rotten at the core of Thai society, and because the authorities and law enforcers are so totally entwined in this morass there can never be any meaningful change. Only a total removal of the elites, the enforcers and their acolytes can resolve this, and we know that such cleansing will not take place. 

As opposed to anywhere else?

it is the same everywhere, just a bit more on the surface in developing nations.........