News Forum - More tourists are heading to Pattaya, but spending less cash, mayor says

Thaiger

As Thailand slowly rises from the ashes of Covid-19’s economic destruction, more foreign tourists are heading to Pattaya. The catch? They’re spending less money, according to the city’s mayor Poramet Ngampichet. Pattaya’s changing demographics in tourism may have something to do with the spending differences. The mayor said on Tuesday that this year, the million foreign tourists that have arrived in the city have been mostly Indian and Vietnamese, who spend less money than Europeans in Pattaya. Poramet said that five out of six tourists in Pattaya have been Thai this year. Pattaya has also missed its Chinese tourists, another […]

The story More tourists are heading to Pattaya, but spending less cash, mayor says as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Chinese tourists, another group who have been known to spend more money than Indian and Vietnamese tourists do. 

Now that is a revelation, Indians and Viets must really be Cheap Charlies.

Glad they clarified it with who have been known, beginning to think the totally organised tours of Chinese Charter flights, Chinese tour coaches, Chinese hotels, Chinese shop tours, Chinese restaurants, Chinese tour guides etc were a fallacy.

So, can we expect to have 100s of Chinese racing motorbikes illegally in Pattaya soon?

Sorry a bit sarky tonight.

• Like 3

This comes on the back of the "We have many more tourists from India" claims.

Yes you do. All of whom are cheap Charlies four straws to a can of coke types.

Still it matches up with the drive to encourage more high wealth tourists don't it?

• Like 6

I imagine I will spend less when I arrive 20 November.Mainly from not spending time in gogo bars and paying their prices for drinks,it's been a few years since I payed a bar fine but going by what I read it's 1k to 2k just for the BF.

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Indian and Vietnamese, who spend less money than Europeans in Pattaya.

How do they know that? (I did notice that I was followed last time I was in Pattaya.)

Come on man, who the heck gonna go to Pattaya while all the prices on barfine ,lady's drinks, ST & LT on both beer bars and gogo-bars are way too expensive..So, if you're one of them, mind as well, DON'T DO IT..You can pick some random Thai ladies or farang ladies on the street, coconut bars, in the gym and more likely in the mall. If you still like Pattaya, then stay away from beer bars and gogo bars, just go to either massages that doing BJ in Soi Buakhao, Soi Lengkee, Soi Honey and Soi Chaiyapoon. My theory is save your money.

Edited by ace035
spelling, grammar
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

How do they know that? (I did notice that I was followed last time I was in Pattaya.)

not a lady boy following you?😆

13 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The mayor said on Tuesday that this year, the million foreign tourists that have arrived in the city have been mostly Indian and Vietnamese, who spend less money than Europeans in Pattaya.

This is "Nann Cents". Thought these are the premium tourist Thailand wanted.

It's not only Indian people who are watching their spending! We are seeing visitors from Europe, the US and other countries all being very price conscious. Although our inputs are more expensive our prices are below 2019 levels and yet we get complaints about being expensive, plus we are having much more bad behaviour than ever before. It seems the new normal for tourism is not so attractive to operators like us since the country started reopening. Our view of the mid term is that our plans for expansion have been put on hold.

• Like 1

It is not about spending. It is all about getting the value for the money spend. No more spree spending. May be now they can consider giving promotional.......buy one free one in everything with the current price rate. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ace035 said:

Come on man, who the heck gonna go to Pattaya while all the prices on barfine ,lady's drinks, ST & LT on both beer bars and gogo-bars are way too expensive..So, if you're one of them, mind as well, DON'T DO IT..You can pick some random Thai ladies or farang ladies on the street, coconut bars, in the gym and more likely in the mall. If you still like Pattaya, then stay away from beer bars and gogo bars, just go to either massages that doing BJ in Soi Buakhao, Soi Lengkee, Soi Honey and Soi Chaiyapoon. My theory is save your money.

Are you are writing about my post? I am on about the price of drinks,lady drinks,bar fines and the ST & LT from gogo bars based on what I read on the forums.Massage places,beerbars etc are another story,same as the GCs.I am really struggling to remember my last bar fine from a gogo in Pattaya! The exchange rate of my € will be the main brake on my spending I am anticipating it to be around 34 baht for one euro when I arrive in November.I think maybe most of us snowbirds from euroland will be channeling our inner cheap charlie this coming winter.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pompies said:

It's not only Indian people who are watching their spending! We are seeing visitors from Europe, the US and other countries all being very price conscious. Although our inputs are more expensive our prices are below 2019 levels and yet we get complaints about being expensive, plus we are having much more bad behaviour than ever before. It seems the new normal for tourism is not so attractive to operators like us since the country started reopening. Our view of the mid term is that our plans for expansion have been put on hold.

What is your business? It would be of interest in the chat

By the way, how do customers complain about being expensive? I guess I may do it on an online review but don't think I'd ever tell a business they were too expensive. I'd either pay because I think it's reasonable or not............

On 8/26/2022 at 1:31 AM, yselmike said:

Are you are writing about my post? I am on about the price of drinks,lady drinks,bar fines and the ST & LT from gogo bars based on what I read on the forums.Massage places,beerbars etc are another story,same as the GCs.I am really struggling to remember my last bar fine from a gogo in Pattaya! The exchange rate of my € will be the main brake on my spending I am anticipating it to be around 34 baht for one euro when I arrive in November.I think maybe most of us snowbirds from euroland will be channeling our inner cheap charlie this coming winter.

No, it wasn't you unless you're one of them, I am talking about other farangs who are addicted to go to a gogo bars and throwing money away on lady's drinks with B20 bills around gogo ladies.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:05 PM, Thaiger said:

As Thailand slowly rises from the ashes of Covid-19’s economic destruction, more foreign tourists are heading to Pattaya. The catch? They’re spending less money, according to the city’s mayor Poramet Ngampichet. Pattaya’s changing demographics in tourism may have something to do with the spending differences. The mayor said on Tuesday that this year, the million foreign tourists that have arrived in the city have been mostly Indian and Vietnamese, who spend less money than Europeans in Pattaya. Poramet said that five out of six tourists in Pattaya have been Thai this year. Pattaya has also missed its Chinese tourists, another […]

The story More tourists are heading to Pattaya, but spending less cash, mayor says as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

More than what? or when?

Pre-covid visitors were nearly 40 million and now they are about a quarter of that.

Spending less? Well they have to have something to spend their money on. As a result of Covid there are considerably less businesses and facilities available.  It took about 40 year for Pattaya to develop enough to cater for foreign tourists at pre Covid capacity. Now they have to re- establish both businesses and variety. This may be difficult as the small businesses that provide variety may well get displaced by big corporations that sell a common product throughout.

The authorities need to look seriously t how to help per-Covid businesses restart.

Edited by cowslip