News Forum - Northern Thailand’s Chiang Mai Zoo conducts emergency ostrich escape drill

Thaiger

Ostriches may be flightless birds but they’re still considered a flight risk at Chiang Mai Zoo. In an emu-sing drill conducted on Tuesday afternoon, zoo staff simulated an ostrich escape situation to ensure that they are well prepared in case one of the big birds flees its nest. Although the man in the ostrich costume may not look overly menacing, ostriches are actually very dangerous birds. A frightened ostrich can run at speeds up to 45 miles per hour and can deliver kicks capable of killing lions and other large predators – like humans. Ostriches killing humans is rare, but […]

The story Northern Thailand’s Chiang Mai Zoo conducts emergency ostrich escape drill as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

In case an ostrich escapes, just spread the word that they are edible, and quite tasty. Then the problem will be resolved soon enough.

I always fully enjoy going to, being in Chiang Mai Zoo. Being in the forest I feel the Zoo is on both sides of the bars/motes, etc. A great place to walk about and be with the many wonderful critters who live in the Zoo. Other days I would walk about the hills directly above the Zoo, along the old Doi Suthep Temple trail and would often encounter Zoo escapees running about in the forest there....

On 8/25/2022 at 10:44 PM, HolyCowCm said:

I thought it was a dodo. 

What a great tourist attraction, the only living dodo in the world!