News Forum - Who is Thailand’s new acting Prime Minister, Prawit Wongsuwan?

Thaiger

Today, Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan was asked to step in as acting PM of Thailand after the Constitutional Court voted to suspend PM Prayut Chan-o-cha from his duties. The court has suspended PM Prayut until they make a final verdict about whether his premiership hit the constitutional eight-year limit today, August 24, 2022. The court’s decision is expected to take around one month. In the meantime, 77 year old Prawit will serve as Thailand’s prime minister. But who is Prawit Wongsuwan? The Bangkok-born minister is considered a “soldier politician.” Between 2004 – 2005, Prawit was the commander-in-chief of the […]

The story Who is Thailand’s new acting Prime Minister, Prawit Wongsuwan? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

50 minutes ago, anarchofarmer said:

Good choice! He's the only one of them able to tell the time!

I guess we all know what time it is now.. 

• Haha 1

Pnut will be there everyday still pulling strings.  

Personally think it is just the high Court saying "look at us we are doing the right thing".

In a month they will rule in favour of Pnut saying that "his first tenure up until implementation of the Thai Constitution doesn't count as the Constitutional rules cannot be back dated to a time before the existance of the current Constitution."

They may order that the rules of the previous Constitution can apply up until the new Constitution.

Sorry but lack knowledge on relevant rules that may apply from that Constitution.

They may get Pnut on failing to obey the High Court ruling on him if he starts meddling during the month he has been suspended. Best way to do that is piss him off. Protestors seem to do that to him.

Just musing not suggesting anything.

2 hours ago, riclag said:

Why wait till what seems to be the eleventh hour!

Did he think he was gonna  be given another 8!

The nerve !

They are disputing when he officially become PM

Opposition says 2014 when he took over while he/supporters say 2019 when new Constitution was put in place

11 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The court’s decision is expected to take around one month. In the meantime, 77 year old Prawit will serve as Thailand’s prime minister.

Will he last a whole month? At 77 I hope he doesn't die in office.
Given his past experience having trouble staying awake, there will need to be someone regularly prodding him to keep him conscious.

Really don't understand all the veiled criticism of this fine gentlemen.

I know there wuz a bit of trouble about watches, but they were:

"borrowed from a friend"

So that's ok, providing the friend was actually compliant with this.

The watches are not mine because I borrowed them and wore them for 10 years,” Prawit said. “I have now returned them all.”

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/09/11/all-luxury-watches-returned-to-friend-prawit-says/

Anyway, the blokes had a good education too.

https://hmong.in.th/wiki/Saint_Gabriel's_College

IMG_20220825_045649.thumb.png.1ebb3dbe69f918930b37e5607d2ec5aa.png

He gets my vote.

*Health warning*

This post contains nuts.

• Haha 2

He's there till he shuffles off to eternity, then another dinosaur will be installed. 

The whole world has become one gigantic lunatic asylum. 

These guys take over a democracy at gunpoint, they amass million dollar watch collections on an official salary lower than mine, and get installed into high office (and keep their military rank and "honours")  after a drug conviction Nobody in the world cares.

The Finnish Prime minister has a bit of a rave, someone there gets topless, and she's forced to apologise, take drug tests, and it goes on for weeks. 

We're the ones being played, all of us, Thai and Farang alike.

• Thanks 1