News Forum - Former Malaysia premier starts 12 years in the slammer

Thaiger

A federal court in Kuala Lumpur yesterday rejected an appeal by the former prime minister of Malaysia, that he had done no wrong, and sentenced him to a 12-year jail term for playing a part in a multi-million dollar graft. It was reported he was sent to Kajang prison, south of the Kuala Lumpur capital. Najib Razak, who served as Malaysia’s PM from 2009 to 2018, was found guilty of money laundering, and abuse of power, related to a corruption scandal involving a state-owned wealth fund 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB). The 69 year old was convicted in July 2020 but […]

The story Former Malaysia premier starts 12 years in the slammer as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Augratin said:

Let's hope this isn't the last head-of-state that gets to spend a lot of time behind bars.

Work is currently underway to get him a Royal pardon poste haste, be lucky if he does a week.

• Like 1

And yet there are still morons in Malaysia who fan- mob him. I will never ever figure out the canine-like devotion some people have for famous people who wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. 

I admired Rolf Harris, but once he was busted, I didn't fall into slavering denial just because I liked "Jake the Peg" or his portrait of Liz. 

Edited by Venusianhart

10 minutes ago, palooka said:

Sorry forgot to add link.

Malaysia's Mahathir says 'highly likely' jailed Najib will get royal pardon | Reuters

This is from the man who started Najib's downfall.

There has never been a precedence where a Royal pardon was given to a convicted without first serving some time.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2022/08/24/ex-ag-najib-can-seek-royal-pardon-but-will-have-to-serve-considerable-jail-time-first/24440

Also even if Najib does get a pardon for this and sets a precedence, he still has 4 more charges/cases lined up for him. And from the looks of the evidences he will most likely be guilty for those cases as well.

Pardon for 1 or 2 cases? Maybe. Pardon for all 5? Highly unlikely.

• Like 1