News Forum - Mother demands 66 million baht after uni bus kills her daughter

Thaiger

A mother is demanding 66 million baht from Khon Kaen University after the college bus hit and killed her daughter on the morning of August 10. A security camera captured footage of two students on a motorcycle waiting for the traffic lights to change at a road intersection when the university bus crashed into them. The two victims were sophomore students from the Faculty of Medicine. The male rider, whose identity hasn’t been revealed, was seriously injured while the female passenger, 19 year old Arunnapa “Eye” Wattanapanich, was pronounced dead at the scene. The bus belonged to the university’s Faculty […]

The story Mother demands 66 million baht after uni bus kills her daughter as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Looking at the video, aside that the "could not see the moto" of the driver is BS, the motorcycle did NOT stop at the stop line, to wait  for their time to turn! So there is a motorcycle drivers fault, also. I do not see, that the mother get 66 Million baht, but of course, why not try, huu? The University is rich and has a reputation to loose. Just: If the daughter would earn 66 Mio in lifetime, she would assumingly spend half of it for her own life. Aside that 66 Mio NOW creates assumingly a lot more, over the decades. Buy some property now, lets say for half of it, get double or 3/x times in 40 years?

Having seen the video the motorcycle (as usual) did NOT stop at the stop line but a long way past it. The bus would not have had to 'cut across' if the bloody stupid copper was not standing in the middle of the road and could have taken the corner wider and safer. That said the driver of the bus was at fault as he should have taken the corner a lot slower mindful of the stupid motorcyclists location. 66 million THB not a prayer I would suggest a good lawyer should be able to get it classified as at least a 50/50 accident.  

• Like 3

The bus cut the corner, I was a bus and coach driver, regardless of where the motorcycle was they were still completely in the line of sight of the bus driver, he and the cop are to blame, 1 the cop should never have allowed the bus to cut the corner,2 the driver should not have cut the corner so dramatically early, these coaches have a good turning circle, the driver was blind and to blame.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stuhan said:

The bus cut the corner, I was a bus and coach driver, regardless of where the motorcycle was they were still completely in the line of sight of the bus driver, he and the cop are to blame, 1 the cop should never have allowed the bus to cut the corner,2 the driver should not have cut the corner so dramatically early, these coaches have a good turning circle, the driver was blind and to blame.

Yes I would certainly agree that the motorcycle was clearly in full view and the bus driver should have seen them quite easily. The comments that the motorcycle did not stop at the stop line are correct in that they are factual, but that does not excuse the bus driver from his obvious lack of care and attention when turning the corner - he should have seen that they were in the way and stopped.

A young and promising life has ended as a result of his negligence.

My deepest condolences to the young ladies family.

• Like 1

IMO all 3 are partly to blame, as above, however it is possible the A-pillar or wing mirror of the bus partially obscured the motorbike at some point.  Imho it's not really a valid excuse as the mb should have been clearly visible even before he began the turn, unless distracted?

They'd need to re-construct the incident to gain a clear opinion.

• Like 2