News Forum - Thailand’s motorists face jail time for splashing pedestrians

Thaiger

A Thai government warning that drivers face jail time and fines if they splash pedestrians has drawn an unusual response from the nation’s strollers – fix the roads! The threat is all the more bizarre given Thailand is in the midst of its monsoon season and it is almost impossible to drive on the kingdom’s roads without splashing through pools of water and puddles. But many netizens responded to the government’s warning by telling them to fix its hazardous roads instead. The Thai Government Public Relations Department Facebook page yesterday reeled out the possible penalties drivers face in Thailand if […]

The story Thailand’s motorists face jail time for splashing pedestrians as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Fix the roads is a good comment.

But never the less, not slowing down for a visible pool of water on the road, and splashing that on pedestrians or on slowly driving motorcycles, that is still the problem of the drivers. 

I like that idea of punishing car drivers.

But who is going to do that?

• Like 4

It's about time this was controlled and prosecuted, most countries in Europe it's an offence.

Is time some motorists cared about pedestrians in rainy weather, they can easily slow down or try to avoid the larger puddles of water, most do but not all, in the cases the pedestrian gets soaked it's mostly deliberate by a driver who does not care, these guys should be fined and lose the license for a year to teach them how to behave when driving in rain.

• Like 2

'Drivers who break the law could face a fine of 2,000 to 10,000 baht, imprisonment of up to three years, or both.' 

Scary murderer in jail: 3 years? So what are you here for? 👹

Me: I splashed water on people. 👶

2 hours ago, Richard1944 said:

It's about time this was controlled and prosecuted, most countries in Europe it's an offence.

Honest question: where??? I have never heard anything so bizarre.

• Like 1

They said they would clamp down on people not stopping at pedestrian crossings I very nearly got hit by a motorcyclist yesterday and a policeman was on the other side of the road, he simply looked the other way so prosecuting motorists for splashing pedestrians will never happen. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Smiler said:

They said they would clamp down on people not stopping at pedestrian crossings I very nearly got hit by a motorcyclist yesterday and a policeman was on the other side of the road, he simply looked the other way so prosecuting motorists for splashing pedestrians will never happen. 

I stopped at a pedestrian crossing yesterday outside a school and some clown overtook me.

Until the police actually start doing their damned job this will continue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manu said:

Honest question: where??? I have never heard anything so bizarre.

Really? Almost all civilized countries have that in the "land transport acts"

Express , GB:

Motorists warned: Driving through a puddle to splash pedestrians could mean a £5,000 fine

“According to the Road Traffic Act 1988, Section 3 states ‘If a person drives a mechanical propeller vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence.’

“So, this means if you are caught doing this you could receive 3-9 points on your licence and up to a £5,000 fine.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

I stopped at a pedestrian crossing yesterday outside a school and some clown overtook me.

Until the police actually start doing their damned job this will continue. 

I live in Thonglor   Outside the Thonglor RTP station there is a pedestrian crossing with traffic Lights, some car drivers and most motorbike riders  must be colored blind and can not tell the difference between red and green.  Never seen the RTP take any action here.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Thommo said:

I live in Thonglor   Outside the Thonglor RTP station there is a pedestrian crossing with traffic Lights, some car drivers and most motorbike riders  must be colored blind and can not tell the difference between red and green.  Never seen the RTP take any action here.

I stayed at a hotel in Saigon that was located on a corner block with a four way intersection controlled by traffic lights. It had a wide footbath as you came off the hotel entrance steps.

Prior to stepping onto the footpath you needed to check for traffic because as soon as the traffic lights changed to red all the motorbikes and scooters came onto the footpath to continue on their merry way.

Apparently the thought process was that if you go around the traffic lights rather than in-between them you are not breaking the rules. 🤣🤣🤣

Quote from article: Meanwhile, others thanked the department for informing them of their rights as pedestrians, adding it should make motorists drive carefully. 

Who are the others? Or is this like patting yourself on the back in the 3rd person sense. I don't think anyone really goes out of their way to splash pedestrians. I think the last time I got hit a about a couple years ago. Big deal, more my fault and mostly motorists cannot help it.

19 hours ago, Phuketresident said:

Valid point roads should be better. But some people DO purposely splash pedestrians for 'fun' that is not good! 

Absolutely a big problem in Bangkok. Just another indication of how many entitled psychos are on the roads in their pickup trucks. Those people would happily run you over too if you gave them a chance to do so.

• Like 2