News Forum - Baldwin deflects blame, expects no charges over gun accident

Thaiger

In a rare interview regarding the tragic gun accident on the set of his film “Rust” which left the cinematographer dead, Alec Baldwin deflected blame and said he didn’t believe anyone would be criminally charged over the incident. The accident happened when a prop gun that Baldwin was to fire toward the camera somehow was loaded with live ammunition which injured director Joel Souza and killed Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins. Multiple lawsuits have been filed over the incident and prosecutors in the criminal investigation aren’t ruling out charges against anyone but Baldwin has faith that it will be considered a tragic […]

The story Baldwin deflects blame, expects no charges over gun accident as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

All I remember from my youth was, "Do not ever point a gun at someone, whether loaded or not"  . 

Seems to me filmmakers should have the actors point at a camera or a light or some prop instead of anyone in the film crew.  

TLDR: Please have some journalistic decency.

There's one source of this article (BKK post) and it contains the quote the article ends with. Well, sort of, or even more precisely: it doesn't. 

If you (addressing the Thaiger author in particular, and Thaiger in general) quote someone, and even use quotation marks to signal that fact, you really, really shouldn't make subtle changes or take out parts and offer the end result as a singular quote. 

Inserting [sic] into a quote is allowed, but only to show/acknowledge awareness of some irrelevant mistake (like spelling). Its insertion in this case does not meet that criterion and seems to serve no other purpose than to inject or elicit a bias. 

Be as opinionated as you like, but don't mangle quotes to get an opinion across...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

All I remember from my youth was, "Do not ever point a gun at someone, whether loaded or not" 

It was his job to point and shoot the prop gun. Being a prop gun it was supposed to be unloaded as verified by the "armorer" on set. Actors have pointed prop guns at people and shooting them, for over a hundred years, in movies.

For some reason a group of people have a stiffy about Alec Baldwin, in the US. I believe it is some political thing-y, but as I have been living OS for decades, not sure. Granted I did think 'Miami Blues' rocked, but no real idea what Alec Baldwin has done since.

17 minutes ago, Mudshark said:

It was his job to point and shoot the prop gun. Being a prop gun it was supposed to be unloaded as verified by the "armorer" on set. Actors have pointed prop guns at people and shooting them, for over a hundred years, in movies.

For some reason a group of people have a stiffy about Alec Baldwin, in the US. I believe it is some political thing-y, but as I have been living OS for decades, not sure. Granted I did think 'Miami Blues' rocked, but no real idea what Alec Baldwin has done since.

But it was not a prop gun was it?

By definition a prop gun would not work even if loaded with live ammunition.

What we had instead was a real gun loaded with live ammunition. How that situation came about is what I do not understand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mudshark said:

Right wingers hate him because he portrayed Trump on SNL

Childish that they do, but they do

That being said, he is a horrible person 

Just as nasty as they come 

His text exchanges with the husband of the lady who died are an example of his crudeness 

But there are many examples 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mudshark said:

For some reason a group of people have a stiffy about Alec Baldwin, in the US. I believe it is some political thing-

Part of it is this: 

Alec Baldwin is being haunted online over an old tweet about a California cop shooting dead a violent suspect — in which the actor asked what it felt like to “kill someone” four years before he accidentally shot dead his cinematographer.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/22/alec-baldwin-haunted-over-old-tweet-about-fatal-cop-shooting/

I’m bet he has a pretty good idea of how it feels now. 

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Right wingers hate him because he portrayed Trump on SNL

Childish that they do, but they do

That being said, he is a horrible person 

Just as nasty as they come 

His text exchanges with the husband of the lady who died are an example of his crudeness 

But there are many examples 

Can't speak for others but I dislike the guy because he shot and killed someone at work, refused to accept responsibility, pulled his liberal privilege card, thought he got of scot free, then immediately started lecturing people about workplace violence. This hypocritical elitist attitude is actually quite triggering to lots of people, not just right wingers that watch SNL (do any right wingers watch SNL??!)

https://thepostmillennial.com/adam-baldwin-who-shot-and-killed-a-woman-on-set-advocates-for-workplace-safety-after-airport-fight-goes-viral

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Famous folk and those in the public eye always get off in some regard or another. 

The way we really want it......and expect it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been following this story since its inception. As a retired police detective, weapons rangemaster, and SWAT officer it's been entertaining. In the USA bringing live ammo onto a closed production movie set, or handing a loaded weapon unbeknown to the recipient are not crimes, but civil issues. Pointing a loaded revolver at someone and (he had to pull the trigger) killing someone is on the other hand a crime. Baldwin's production, his hires i.e. director, set armorer etc. 

The commercial airplane pilot takes off thinking the aircraft has been refueled as standard procedure, but runs out of fuel. Doesn't he bear some responsibility for not checking before takeoff? 

In California, reckless homicide cases are charged as involuntary manslaughter. Involuntary manslaughter is a broadly written charge, which covers cases of both reckless homicide and negligent homicide. It is a felony in California, punishable by up to four years imprisonment and fines of up to CHF 9,564.35 .

• Like 1

Saw documentary on the making WW2 tank movie "Fury" the films armourer, British, and where it was filmed, was meticulous in signing out every weapon and the blank rounds, every single weapon was logged to a star or extra, and tracked all day long. Leaving a weapon unattended was a dismissable offence, the stars assistants had to sign for the weapons care at all times. The British respect for weapons kept everyone safe and Alive. 

That is all. 

Edited by Venusianhart
  • Like 3

Another prominent Left wing American Liberal with a history of violence,assaults, substance abuse,  who's above the Laws every normal US Citizen is held to (reminds my of Hunter Biden).

I pray he faces justice for the Manslaughter of this young Woman.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:05 PM, Rookiescot said:

But it was not a prop gun was it?

By definition a prop gun would not work even if loaded with live ammunition.

Uh, no. In the movie industry the definition of a prop gun, is a ‘real gun or a fake gun'. Obviously loaded with blanks. However that is the film makers definition. What your definition is may vary.

The armorer is responsible for loading the weapons. She claims the bullets she received were real and that implicates the supplier. However at that point it becomes a lawyers debate on where the fault lies, and my interest stops right there!!

I’m amazed at the comments here. I guess I should not be, given the state of the USA right now and how they want to tear themselves apart.  A benefit to being an oblivious long time expat.

Still I believe the above responses are more an MO of the right wing. If cancel culture, wokeism is a trademark of the left, group excrement slinging is a trademark of the right. The old adage was, if you throw it against the wall, something might stick. Today it is the act of slinging itself that matters. If you have enough people slinging,  no matter if nothing sticks, people believe. If that many people are slinging it, must be something there. Arf. 

We live in sad times, maybe pathetic times, not sure which.

• Like 1