About 300 seats sold on Jul 1 Phuket flights, 500 COEs approved

Thaiger

30 minutes ago, 321BOOM said:

Absolute correct.

But that's LOScam, a country run by morons for morons.

They can not organize anything. 'Solly no have' and 'Maybe tomollow' is prevalent. Did anyone really expected something else ?

' . . . for morons. . . . '    Careful now!

Oh,and dont write a review about your hotel.

And dont talk politics

And dont talk about the royals.

Just enjoy the sun.......

And give is your money.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Scott said:

Your points are well taken.  Deep down, I agree with everything you wrote.  However, since the Thai people are hurting so much economically, I’m trying to put forth as positive of a spin as I can. I’m trying to remain hopeful in a situation of monumental odds. My concern is for those Thai’s in the bottom tier of the economic ladder.  Had the original 7 day plan been kept, the reopening scheme would’ve had a much greater chance of success.  

Unfortunately it's the Thais being Thai and trying to keep everyone happy by finding some common ground, from those who need tourists to those worried about tourism and its affect on Covid.

This time, though, it's doomed as there's just no middle ground so rather than keeping anyone happy, or at least a bit happy, instead all it's done is make everyone unhappy as it suits nobody and will alienate everybody.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Max said:

Get vaccinated get expensive insurance get tested

spent a lot of money.

But .... your still a dirty farang.??

That simply isn't the Thai view and never has been, but was the view of one Thai, never repeated or supported by other Thais.

If you dislike Thais and Thai ways so much that it affects your holiday that badly, as it evidently does regardless of lockdown restrictions and Covid precautions, then there's a simple solution: go elsewhere.

• Like 3

Based on history, most are rightly cynical that the July 1 date was likely going to be dysfunctional.
Amazing that they actually opened on time.
Most, also, rightfully contemplated, that the goal posts would continue to move. Which they did. 
Not recognizing singe shot vaccines, or not informing hotels about pre-paid receipts demonstrates the suspected lack of foresight (and is it really that difficult to have those items on a tick list) 

But are we really surprised by only the truly motivated having turned up on Day One?
Those intended returnees, myself included, are merely waiting for the dysfunctional to resemble some type of functionality.
Up to officialdom and Phuket locals to walk their talk, and then we will see higher numbers taking the plunge.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Max said:

Oh forgot something.

Pay double price for entrance to a park or attraction.

Your farang.

Agree with all of your 3 posts. Thats what LOScam is about. Fake smiles targeting foreigners wallets. Ripp off 1st world pricing for 5th world service. Terrible people. A place to avoid.

• Like 1

I'll have to step in here and give my two cents.

I've been a resident in Chiang Mai for going on 20 years. Have owned a couple of bars a restaurant and some other ventures. (Sand box business's) meaning something to do/play at. Now I just dabble in rental property's.

Have I had a few bad experience's? Yep, but all in all its been a very positive experience living here and dealing with Thai people. 

Have you ever heard phrase " We all create our on Hell" ? Well, when I hear someone bitching about Thailand, it's usually someone that couldn't make it in their own country. And or are running out money or are on a very strict budget.  Been here long enough to know when to pick up my beer and move to the other end of the bar when they start Thai bashing or moaning.

As far as dual pricing goes, I have a California drivers license so I get a discount at Disneyland. All out of state punters pay double...

36 minutes ago, highonthai said:

I've been a resident in Chiang Mai for going on 20 years. Have owned a couple of bars a restaurant and some other ventures. (Sand box business's) meaning something to do/play at. Now I just dabble in rental property's.

Have I had a few bad experience's? Yep, but all in all its been a very positive experience living here and dealing with Thai people. 

Have you ever heard phrase " We all create our on Hell" ? Well, when I hear someone bitching about Thailand, it's usually someone that couldn't make it in their own country. And or are running out money or are on a very strict budget.  Been here long enough to know when to pick up my beer and move to the other end of the bar when they start Thai bashing or moaning.

As far as dual pricing goes, I have a California drivers license so I get a discount at Disneyland. All out of state punters pay double...

Oh that justifies dual pricing in Thailand does it - a Californian drivers license will get you a discount at Disneyland.

Does that really justify that a white face will ensure white face pays twice, four times, six times, what a Thai pays at THOUSANDS of places in Thailand?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, highonthai said:

While an interesting analogy it’s not quite apples to apples. First you had to be a Southern California resident. Second it was only over short limited timeframes during the off season. It wasn’t even offered every year. Last and most important you were actually require to spend more since it was only done on multi day tickets. In other words, it was a discount not a higher price. Since the price paid by those out of the area was the same the So Cal residents paid the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

I'm a Brit living in Dubai hoping to retire to Thailand before the end of the year. I thought the 'Sandbox' was going to help with getting into the country, but it has just massively complicated the process. I think it best if I let the dust settle, hope the 'Sandbox' teething problems get sorted and then take the plunge! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rat441 said:

I'm a Brit living in Dubai hoping to retire to Thailand before the end of the year. I thought the 'Sandbox' was going to help with getting into the country, but it has just massively complicated the process. I think it best if I let the dust settle, hope the 'Sandbox' teething problems get sorted and then take the plunge! 

Yes, best plan to wait, I'm sure!

Hello, Rat441 and welcome to Thaiger Talk

Please feel free to tell us a bit about yourself in 'Introductions'. It's good to pick-up on those sometimes differing regional or geographical perspectives.

And check-out the Guidelines, too, when you get a free minute. They're there to help us all enjoy our time here.

Happy posting

King Cotton

3 hours ago, ENIGMA said:

Based on history, most are rightly cynical that the July 1 date was likely going to be dysfunctional.
Amazing that they actually opened on time.
Most, also, rightfully contemplated, that the goal posts would continue to move. Which they did. 
Not recognizing singe shot vaccines, or not informing hotels about pre-paid receipts demonstrates the suspected lack of foresight (and is it really that difficult to have those items on a tick list) 

But are we really surprised by only the truly motivated having turned up on Day One?
Those intended returnees, myself included, are merely waiting for the dysfunctional to resemble some type of functionality.
Up to officialdom and Phuket locals to walk their talk, and then we will see higher numbers taking the plunge.

Sorry, as much as I like living in Thailand, the obvious PR campaigns to keep international investments interested are quite obvious, and I don't necessarily blame them, as I understand how things work. They did something similar last fall with the SVT and "planes loaded with Chinese millionaires waiting to land in Phuket!" Then it was mostly media blackout, and a couple pics of Chinese guys with brief cases, less than 10 iirc. As I'd expected, not that it was some worldly feat to predict something so obvious.

• Like 1

Thai Smile cancelled all of their international flights to Phuket for today due to the massive cancellations they received, according to Thai news outlets.

Due to the ineptitude of the Thai government and its ridiculous restrictions/rules, I cancelled my one month trip to Thailand.  I will meet my Thai wife someplace else that is less restrictive and require less hoops to navigate for entry.

Edited by HRPuckinfutz
Missing info.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TobyAndrews said:

Oh that justifies dual pricing in Thailand does it - a Californian drivers license will get you a discount at Disneyland.

Does that really justify that a white face will ensure white face pays twice, four times, six times, what a Thai pays at THOUSANDS of places in Thailand?

Considering that "white faces" have incomes that are likely at least five to ten times the income of the average Thai person, I have no problem with the dual pricing.  This allows poor Thai people to actually enjoy the activities that "white faces" enjoy.

If you have a problem with this, stop your whining and stay the hell out of Thailand. They won't miss you.

2 hours ago, highonthai said:

I see that others have already advised the reality of dual pricing in Thailand, but I would like to add more details.  Dual pricing is illegal in Thailand - but as with so amny things, enforcement of some laws is not a priority.  Having said that, what many Thais think is that it is OK to charge 'farangs' a higher price because they are tourists and have money.  What they fail to see is that long term residents (Expats) are not tourists, but they cannot tell the difference. Meanwhile, all attempts to get the Thai Govt to deal with the issue by giving Expats a 'Thai Resident Card' and to then tell all businesses that residents (locals and Expats with a Card) must not be charged extra has always fallen on deaf ears (no money in it). Meanwhile, those from Laos, and Myanmar and Cambodia are given the same price as Thais - but all Expats are treated as a foreigner. When you live there for years, it does get annoying. 

3 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

I see that others have already advised the reality of dual pricing in Thailand, but I would like to add more details.  Dual pricing is illegal in Thailand - but as with so amny things, enforcement of some laws is not a priority.  Having said that, what many Thais think is that it is OK to charge 'farangs' a higher price because they are tourists and have money.  What they fail to see is that long term residents (Expats) are not tourists, but they cannot tell the difference. Meanwhile, all attempts to get the Thai Govt to deal with the issue by giving Expats a 'Thai Resident Card' and to then tell all businesses that residents (locals and Expats with a Card) must not be charged extra has always fallen on deaf ears (no money in it). Meanwhile, those from Laos, and Myanmar and Cambodia are given the same price as Thais - but all Expats are treated as a tourist. When you live there for years, it does get annoying. 

28 minutes ago, HRPuckinfutz said:

Considering that "white faces" have incomes that are likely at least five to ten times the income of the average Thai person, I have no problem with the dual pricing.  This allows poor Thai people to actually enjoy the activities that "white faces" enjoy.

If you have a problem with this, stop your whining and stay the hell out of Thailand. They won't miss you.

It is irrelevant if white faces have more incomes than the LOScam brown faces. For me this is a principle even if I am on a five digit USD income per month. Furthermore I have no interest to support 'poor Thai people'. For what ? I am not the social welfare fund.

You are correct in one thing, who does not like it should stay out of LOScam. That is exactly what we will do - we left long overdue 3 weeks ago - and have as many others no plan to return. We will spend our money where we see better value and quality of services.

55 minutes ago, HRPuckinfutz said:

That's under an assumed generalization that all "white faces" are just tourists and not already supporting Thai families of their own as long term visa holders. Also, dual pricing isn't likely benefiting anyone but the already wealthy Thais, the low income ones don't reap much, if any, benefit from how well the rich folks are doing. My thought on the dual pricing, is simply just politely inform them that what they're doing is crooked and take your money elsewhere. There's plenty of businesses that don't try that scam, so spend with them and tip their laborers as you can. 

5 hours ago, highonthai said:

By the way many Thais are not happy about Thailand, too. To make a realistic picture about the situation in Thailand. And if you understand Thai or have a Thaifamily you will hear and see it on a daily bases. The majority of the Thais are struggeling, too. 

It would be interesting how many of them are real tourists or returnees, people with family here, people who work for a company in Thailand or have a business and changed from the asq to the Sandbox. Because I guess 90% are not regular tourists. Maybe Thaiger could figure it out!

6 minutes ago, Stardust said:

It would be interesting how many of them are real tourists or returnees, people with family here, people who work for a company in Thailand or have a business and changed from the asq to the Sandbox. Because I guess 90% are not regular tourists. Maybe Thaiger could figure it out!

Yeah, really good odds the vassst majority are just returnees of whatever version. 

7 hours ago, Max said:

Oh forgot something.

Pay double price for entrance to a park or attraction.

Your farang.

*You're