Tourism jobs continue to be lost – nearly 1 million in 2021

Thaiger

It’s easy to look scornfully at the government and tourism industry’s rose-tinted predictions of the Phuket Sandbox reopening and further return of international tourism to Thailand by the end of the year. But a look at the current statistics for the battered tourism industry helps explain the need for hope. This quarter, 550,000 jobs were lost in the tourism industry. The loss of another half a million tourism jobs, reported by a private industry group yesterday, is a further kick in the gut to the down and out sector which lost 400,000 jobs in the first 3 months of the […]

The post Tourism jobs continue to be lost – nearly 1 million in 2021 appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Is a need for hope, but hope will do nothing without practicality. If the Sandbox is a blueprint for future reopening of all of Thailand (supposed to be in October), future reopening is doomed. It is a blueprint for disaster. Fully vaccinated tourists are fully vaccinated. They should just be allowed free entry as in the past. If the THai Government does not get its act together on vaccination, it is all doomed. Outbreaks will come from unvaccinated Thai - not fully vaccinated tourists. I am very pessimistic about what is coming. COEs, insurance, PCR tests, approved SHA hotels, tracking…. Ridiculous. Arriving in Bangkok? - how will they control that???

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, PohTou said:

Is a need for hope, but hope will do nothing without practicality. If the Sandbox is a blueprint for future reopening of all of Thailand (supposed to be in October), future reopening is doomed. It is a blueprint for disaster. Fully vaccinated tourists are fully vaccinated. They should just be allowed free entry as in the past. If the THai Government does not get its act together on vaccination, it is all doomed. Outbreaks will come from unvaccinated Thai - not fully vaccinated tourists. I am very pessimistic about what is coming. COEs, insurance, PCR tests, approved SHA hotels, tracking…. Ridiculous. Arriving in Bangkok? - how will they control that???

Agreed, @PohTou, but why will fully vaccinated tourists bother coming here as  long as bars and restaurants are closed, everyone has to wear a mask, and nightlife, parties, concerts, and all the things tourists want are banned?

The only solution is vaccination,  since while vaccinated tourists are unlikely to bring or spread Covid everything that will encourage them to come will.

• Like 1

My family and I are long overdue for our return visit to Thailand.  When the situation settles down and international travel reaches a new “normal,” we’re going to make our trip there our best trip yet.  Big ticket outings while staying at a 4 or 5 star hotel throughout our several week stay.  I’m confident that we’re not alone and that hundreds of thousands will be joining us.  Under different circumstances, my wife and I (both fully vaccinated ‘Moderna’) would’ve traveled to Thailand under the Phuket sandbox scheme.  Problem is, our two young children are not vaccinated as it’s not possible for them to be so at this juncture.  Hang in there Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thailand can wish for all the tourist they want but they not doing much to make it happen! First they don't vaccinate fast enough, then they want fully vaccinated people to quaranteen for 14 days (no one does that) then embassies abroad flippant about issuing visas and in some cases EOC's (another foolish document) and experimenting with "sandboxes" as if they were Dr Moro's Island. Thailand needs a new "manager" who is efficient, logical and decisive!

• Cool 1

"Thailand’s harsh restrictions kept infections to a minimum praised worldwide."

At the very least, that's solidly disingenuous.

Edited by King Cotton
Deletion of meaningless text-talk symbols, as per Guideline 15