News Forum - Current Thailand Visa Options for Digital Nomads

Thaiger

Are you a digital nomad? Here are some visas that might be suitable for you! The Thai government has announced plans for a Thailand Digital Nomad Visa to be created. Here we will describe in detail how the new legislation unfolds and what alternative options there are for digital nomads in Thailand. Thailand has been a long-time favorite with digital nomads flocking to Bangkok or the smaller Northern city of Chiang Mai. Chiang Mai has for a long time been known as the Digital Nomad capital of the world. Digital nomads were attracted by the low cost of living, fast […]

The story Current Thailand Visa Options for Digital Nomads as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A very poor video piece. None of those visa options are suitable for digital nomads. It's a list of recommendations with the rider - it's illegal for you to do any remote work, but you probably won't get caught. Imagine had you published a piece like this in the USA, Australia or Europe telling people how they should work illegally....

The new 10-year visas are also terrible. The option for a remote worker requires that they are directly employed by an overseas company with a turnover of $150m, which eliminates most since the employer risks permanent establishment tax provisions in Thailand, as well as all the added headaches of local and overseas employment laws. This is why most companies only allow remote work in the country they are established or the employee has to have their own legal structure and be contracted.

Thailand could capture a huge revenue market if only the public servants crafting policy understood the modern work movement. It's a shame and an absolute loss for the country as it tries to recover.

1 hour ago, DesperateOldHand said:

It might be so that digital nomads [whatever the **** that is] consider themselves to be terribly special, yes? 

In a way yes. Nothing special about them personally, but they are in a special position. Where do they live? Where do they work? Where do they earn their income? Where do they pay taxes? Lots of governments are struggling with these questions. Especially with the tax one of course.

An example. I am currently in Cape Verde, for 1 month. Before I was on the Azores, also 1 month. Next month I fly back to the Azores. I did some work for company X, part of it while being here, part of it while being on the Azores. And who knows, next month I do something for company Y? Of course, X and Y are in different countries, outside the EU. My payments comes to my Dutch bank account. Technically I do not live there. But I pay my taxes in Holland.

You see, it gets complicated very fast. And once you need a visa things get even more complicated. On the Azores I do not need a visa. Cape Verde, technically yes, if I want to stay longer than 1 month. But it will be a tourist visa.

Now a country, say Thailand, introduces a special visa for digital nomads. Would I apply for it? No way. Not with the idiot rules they think of each time. And as long as they link the 'digital nomad visa' with 'working permit' and 'paying taxes' I think they will attract zero digital nomads. They will surely have digital nomads in Thailand, but on a tourist visa.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Janneman said:

In a way yes. Nothing special about them personally, but they are in a special position. Where do they live? Where do they work? Where do they earn their income? Where do they pay taxes? Lots of governments are struggling with these questions. Especially with the tax one of course.

An example. I am currently in Cape Verde, for 1 month. Before I was on the Azores, also 1 month. Next month I fly back to the Azores. I did some work for company X, part of it while being here, part of it while being on the Azores. And who knows, next month I do something for company Y? Of course, X and Y are in different countries, outside the EU. My payments comes to my Dutch bank account. Technically I do not live there. But I pay my taxes in Holland.

You see, it gets complicated very fast. And once you need a visa things get even more complicated. On the Azores I do not need a visa. Cape Verde, technically yes, if I want to stay longer than 1 month. But it will be a tourist visa.

Now a country, say Thailand, introduces a special visa for digital nomads. Would I apply for it? No way. Not with the idiot rules they think of each time. And as long as they link the 'digital nomad visa' with 'working permit' and 'paying taxes' I think they will attract zero digital nomads. They will surely have digital nomads in Thailand, but on a tourist visa.

well u pay your taxes where you stay more than six month...if this situation never arises you dont pay any taxes legally...if TH provides a visa where DN can stay longer it might create a tax liability for them in TH...so to say a very cheap solution for the DN ...

but as I have heard it only applies for DN with an high income the 10 percent they might pay adds up in the long run...

1 hour ago, dingdong said:

well u pay your taxes where you stay more than six month...if this situation never arises you dont pay any taxes legally...if TH provides a visa where DN can stay longer it might create a tax liability for them in TH...so to say a very cheap solution for the DN ...

but as I have heard it only applies for DN with an high income the 10 percent they might pay adds up in the long run...

Yea try explaining that to Dutch government. If I earn money I have to pay taxes there, even if I were to live elsewhere for up to 8 months. Officially emigrating is an option but that has all kind of financial consequences, both short and long term. So I prefer using tourist visa, if needed. 

The only visa from the video that seems reasonable is the STV. But that ends in september.... Plus, it is (was) rather complicated to obtain.

6 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

A very poor video piece. None of those visa options are suitable for digital nomads. It's a list of recommendations with the rider - it's illegal for you to do any remote work, but you probably won't get caught. Imagine had you published a piece like this in the USA, Australia or Europe telling people how they should work illegally....

The new 10-year visas are also terrible. The option for a remote worker requires that they are directly employed by an overseas company with a turnover of $150m, which eliminates most since the employer risks permanent establishment tax provisions in Thailand, as well as all the added headaches of local and overseas employment laws. This is why most companies only allow remote work in the country they are established or the employee has to have their own legal structure and be contracted.

Thailand could capture a huge revenue market if only the public servants crafting policy understood the modern work movement. It's a shame and an absolute loss for the country as it tries to recover.

Countries are just approaching how to deal with digital nomads in the last few years

It's not as simple as flipping a switch 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Countries are just approaching how to deal with digital nomads in the last few years

It's not as simple as flipping a switch 

Just ignore 'em.....??

😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mohandas said:

Just ignore 'em.....??

😉

My point is a lot of countries are trying to figure out how to deal with digital nomads 

The solution doesn't happen overnight