News Forum - Tropical storm ‘Mulan’ pours down on north and northeast Thailand

Thaiger

The tropical storm ‘Mulan’ that meteorologists warned would hit Thailand has now poured down on the country’s north and northeast regions. The regions dealth with flash floods yesterday (Friday), due to heavy rain caused by the depression from the storm. In the northern province of Phayao, villagers in Nam Bong forest were forced to evacuate when flash floods swallowed their homes. The province’s governor ordered agencies to help the beleaguered villagers, while soldiers and volunteers also showed up to lend a hand. There were also landslides in 5 districts of the northern province of Nan. These districts included: Chiang Klang, […]

The story Tropical storm ‘Mulan’ pours down on north and northeast Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

3 minutes ago, palooka said:

This lot to the Mekong river and then further inland most rivers eventually flow to Bangkok.

Northern rivers were already swollen and it's predicted the Mae Ping will receive more volume over 24hrs which could see it overflow the banks even within Chiang Mai city, despite the weir.  Ping was very high and fast flowing today when we looked and although I have no immediate concerns for CM other than minor surface flooding, the Central provinces may be hard hit and later ... Bangkok.

CM city and province was mainly fine today although scattered storms prevail this evening 🙄

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Northern rivers were already swollen and it's predicted the Mae Ping will receive more volume over 24hrs which could see it overflow the banks even within Chiang Mai city, despite the weir.  

Amazed that they will not open some of these weirs until they are about to overflow.  Early opening would allow them to have low levels in the weirs and assist reduce minor flooding.

A few enquiries I have made suggest a lack of ability to make a decision, weirs have to be full apparently and water is released only when they believe the can fill the weir again.

48 minutes ago, palooka said:

Amazed that they will not open some of these weirs until they are about to overflow.  Early opening would allow them to have low levels in the weirs and assist reduce minor flooding.

A few enquiries I have made suggest a lack of ability to make a decision, weirs have to be full apparently and water is released only when they believe the can fill the weir again.

My PHD from the University of Life has me believing the weir was only constructed to hold back water in the city reaches for aesthetic purposes.  AFAIK there is no flood mitigation advantage in it's location downstream of the cbd, quite the opposite as you mention.

Water level today was 1.10m below the bank, I'm told.

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Northern rivers were already swollen and it's predicted the Mae Ping will receive more volume over 24hrs which could see it overflow the banks even within Chiang Mai city, despite the weir.  Ping was very high and fast flowing today when we looked and although I have no immediate concerns for CM other than minor surface flooding, the Central provinces may be hard hit and later ... Bangkok.

CM city and province was mainly fine today although scattered storms prevail this evening 🙄

Been raining here steady for a couple of days. 

Heavier north of us......where the headwaters of three major rivers conjoin eventually. 

Usually will be an indicator of overflowing rivers/flooding to come.

August. 

• Like 2