News Forum - 10 Unique Superstitions of Thai People

Thaiger

Thai culture is full of the supernatural, and here are some superstition that have been passed from generations and the reasons behind it! Every country has its own unique culture and beliefs that make them different from others. Some ideas are based on tradition, while others are based on religion and superstitions. As Thailand is an Asian country with the majority of local people being Buddhists, many Thai people are very superstitious and have a lot of unique beliefs.   Thailand is home to various myths that are based on a variety of different phenomena and religious events. From wanting […]

The story 10 Unique Superstitions of Thai People as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

My wife can add about 20+ more superstitions to this lot.

Her classic No.1 is no sex on monk days or days that the lottery is drawn.

Ghenko lives your house is good luck, they real big one that is super noisy in the middle of the night and relevance to the number of times it calls out is important for good luck or bad for the day.

Car cannot be dirty for too many days otherwise it will stay dirty.

Good luck to see a snake on the road and you don't run over it. (that one I find the hardest to take)

Finding a tortoise on the road is SUPER lucky and you have to keep it for 3 days and look after it and then give it back to nature.

Just a few of the seeming endless beliefs.  Get a good laugh at some though.

• Haha 4
  • Cool 1

Yep, this article only scratches the surface of Thai superstition. If you have a Thai wife try going out with her while you are wearing a green hat 555 Apparently that indicates that your wife is unfaithful or a 'butterfly'.

3 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Yep, this article only scratches the surface of Thai superstition. If you have a Thai wife try going out with her while you are wearing a green hat 555 Apparently that indicates that your wife is unfaithful or a 'butterfly'.

That's in China🙂

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

My wife doesn't have many, if any, really 

Maybe some small ones, but nothing she lives by

I typed this

Then later walked out of the bedroom and my wife is on the phone  "ka ka ka" ing someone

So I know it's a formal call

I asked her who she was "ka ka Ka"ing and it was a taro card reader  5555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, palooka said:

Her classic No.1 is no sex on monk days or days that the lottery is drawn.

I used to have one that had to take off or turn her Buddha on necklace to her backside so he wouldn't see you on top of her doing the bouncy slide. That thing would be flipping to her front to her back depending on what position we were doing.

• Like 1

Seems like in CM that it is superstitious to stop before crosswalks or for orange or just freshly turned redlights. But also, one real one is don't go out in the rain as you will get sick.

6 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

But also, one real one is don't go out in the rain as you will get sick.

Asked my wife about this one and she says it had a bit to do with the polluted rains coming from China to Nth Thailand. She also says some Thais do get ill if they get wet.

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Asked my wife about this one and she says it had a bit to do with the polluted rains coming from China to Nth Thailand. She also says some Thais do get ill if they get wet.

Never heard polluted weather. Always temp change and wet will make you sick. Wives tale. 

On 8/13/2022 at 6:43 PM, DiJoDavO said:

That's in China🙂

Yes I am aware it is a Chinese thing. But it HAS been widely adopted by Thais (well my other half and all her pals anyway)

• Like 1