News Forum - Foreigner faces prison for Parrotfishing in Thailand

Thaiger

15 hours ago, Janneman said:

He is Dutch... He paid for say 21 days in Thailand so he stays the full 21 days in Thailand. No matter what happens.

🤣 I guess there’s so much to learn about the Dutch still. 

Social media tail wagging the dog with regard to the farang.  He's not going to get banged up, but will be required to pay the fine and perform more public mea culpas, admitting his guilt and begging for mercy like a journalist caught in Al Qaeda custody.   The hearts of xenophobes will swell with pride and satisfaction at the spectacle, as the boat captain watches from the corner, sheepishly licking an ice cream cone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

🤣 I guess there’s so much to learn about the Dutch still. 

Well, we invented copper wire. Two dutchies fighting over one penny 😁

On 8/12/2022 at 1:19 PM, Prosaap said:

Look to me he went on a fishing trip with a hired boat as a tourist you dont know where to fish and what fish is out there but the captain of the boat must know he is the one that bring him there he is to blame 

this is copy outrage because the thai take every little fish they can take putting nets everywhere 

they are not aloude to fish close around koh phi phi but in the night time you see many boats fishing with nets taking all the fish 

but typical thai blame somebody else   

Not only blame somebody else, but preferably a foreigner. Shouldn't the outraged netezins demand that the local captain is blamed ? After all he should know where and what is allowed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Donald said:

Not only blame somebody else, but preferably a foreigner. Shouldn't the outraged netezins demand that the local captain is blamed ? After all he should know where and what is allowed.

That’s probably correct. However the boat man probably has no money.If you read the whole original post you would see that some of  the complainers were also calling for the responsible authorities to be punished as well as the tourist for not doing a better job of protecting the environment so its not just foreigners that are being targeted. I believe that the tourist was probably ignorant of the fact that he was breaking the law but it just goes to show that you have to be careful what you post on Tiktok or other publicly accessible social media. It’s like shooting fish in a barrel for the cops  when people break the law then post it on line.

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2022 at 12:57 PM, NorskTiger said:

One of Thailand's prime notes of reputation is the stunning waters, fish and beaches. When a fool like this kills a precious fish and then boasts about it on some social media nonsense, he deserves what he gets. 

The Thai government is interested in projecting a message that it cares about the environment and wants to protect it's pristine nature, (neither of which are incorrect) so this dork is likely to be in trouble if they catch him. 

I don't get it when people complain about Thai police being corrupt or what have you. Bangkok has to be one of the safest, if not the safest million++ city in the world where there is little tolerance for the nonsense in most Western cities of today. Just think of the BTS how clean and orderly it is at all times. Thailand wants to protect the image of a safe, legally strict, while welcoming country and they must be doing something right with all the tourism coming here. 

Cities in UAE, or KSA are far safer than Bangkok at all times of the day, and without any of the police corruption. 

18 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Cities in UAE, or KSA are far safer than Bangkok at all times of the day, and without any of the police corruption. 

So what? Those places have plenty of negatives

• Haha 1

On 8/15/2022 at 8:57 AM, NorskTiger said:

One of Thailand's prime notes of reputation is the stunning waters, fish and beaches.

Stunning? Or smelling? If you are on a beach where hotels dump their untreated wastewater that is. And dont mention E. coli as this might frighten the wealthy foreigners Thailand hopes to attract.

2 hours ago, Stevejm said:

So what? Those places have plenty of negatives

I was replying to a post saying that Bangkok must be one of the safest if not the safest large cities in the world. 

That's what. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I was replying to a post saying that Bangkok must be one of the safest if not the safest large cities in the world. 

That's what. 

I wouldn't know about places you mentioned, But I don't think anyone can call Bangkok dangerous, by any stretch of the imagination...........it is very safe

4 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I wouldn't know about places you mentioned, But I don't think anyone can call Bangkok dangerous, by any stretch of the imagination...........it is very safe

Agreed, it is generally very safe. But I wouldn't necessarily be wandering around anywhere at all times of the day in Bangkok. And I would say that petty street crime does exist in Bangkok, whereas in the places I mentioned it doesn't. 

Also no fights between rival schools etc like there are in Bangkok. 

But it's all relative ATEOTD, and the old adage about only finding trouble if you're looking for it generally holds true. 

14 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Also no fights between rival schools etc like there are in Bangkok. 

This is lots of rival fights amongst locals in Bangkok, for sure..........all of Thailand

We feel we could open the type of open air local pub in my wife's village (live music, picnic table seating, etc) and think it would do very well but we worry about the locals fighting so we wouldn't probably ever do it

7 hours ago, Marc26 said:

This is lots of rival fights amongst locals in Bangkok, for sure..........all of Thailand

We feel we could open the type of open air local pub in my wife's village (live music, picnic table seating, etc) and think it would do very well but we worry about the locals fighting so we wouldn't probably ever do it

I think there is always the potential for trouble where alcohol is involved. Anyway we are getting way off topic!

23 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I think there is always the potential for trouble where alcohol is involved. Anyway we are getting way off topic!

Let's toe the line on topic... notzi

There's a relevant link back to "outraged netizens", pouncing on an otherwise minor event selected by social media outlets for purely monetary/market share reasons.  Unfortunately our lizard brains are trained to parlay it into confirmation of the MAJOR CRISIS we've been told, over and over again, is brewing.  Farang tourists are ruining the country.  True Thai Patriots are REQUIRED to get triggered and demonstrate faux-outrage on Facebook.  If you don't, then you don't care about your country.  Thumbs Up or Thumbs down.  Pick a team and pretend you're clued up and involved.

In my country, Fox News manufacturers a MAJOR CRISIS then fans the flames by presenting carefully selected random events from the vast country to feed the feed the flavor of the month.  Red lights and sirens, reporting hysterically into the camera lens like Alex Jones, "SEE!  THE SKY IS FALLING JUST LIKE WE TOLD YOU, AND IT'S TOTALLY OUT OF CONTROL!!!!.   Fox viewers get this internet heroin pumped into their heads 7/24, in between adverts for erection tablets that also make your bald head grow hair.  Trust me, folks, I'm wearing a crucifix.

So simple and effective.  Social media is a blight on our species.  Meanwhile, the poor dopes are in siege mentality, sitting in their bunkers wearing helmets and flak jackets ready for WAR!

Any minute now.  Lock and Load, Patriots! 🥷

24 minutes ago, Cleite said:

If a foreigner is dumb he should be punished. He should ask people before doing something stupid. 

If he apologizes and explains that it was mistake made out of ignorance of the rules he will be okay.

Went spear fishing in the Dominican republic last week, we caught a ton of parrot fish and they were delicious.  Im surprised its illegal in Thailand but then again im not 🙄

8 hours ago, Cleite said:

If a foreigner is dumb he should be punished. He should ask people before doing something stupid. 

Yea like asking the captain of the boat he rented.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Went spear fishing in the Dominican republic last week, we caught a ton of parrot fish and they were delicious.  Im surprised its illegal in Thailand but then again im not 🙄

If you read the full story I think that fishing in the National Park was the alleged  illegal act not the species caught.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:19 PM, Janneman said:

Stunning? Or smelling? If you are on a beach where hotels dump their untreated wastewater that is. And dont mention E. coli as this might frighten the wealthy foreigners Thailand hopes to attract.

Indeed, but this is a very minute part of the waters of Thailand.  The overall beauty of the snorkeling areas in Krabi have no more connection to wastewater outlets in BKK than the scenery in waters around Lofoten have to the sewage being dumped into Oslo fjord. 

Thailand has some of the most awesome waters I have ever encountered and makes even someone grown up in Norway awe struck with the beauty of the place. 

• Like 1