News Forum - Woman escapes death after car hit by fallen debris in Bangkok

Thaiger

Contractors face a heavy compensation claim after a woman escaped death when some loose tarpaulin smashed into the car she was driving in Bangkok’s Bang Khunthien district. The woman, Thichakorn Photalay, was driving down Rama II Road to her home in Samut Sakhon’s Mahachai area last night when a large piece of tarpaulin full of rainwater fell off an expressway construction site and landed on her car. The 33 year old woman was lucky to escape with her life as the roof of the car caved in and the windscreen shattered from the weight of the tarpaulin. The damaged car […]

The story Woman escapes death after car hit by fallen debris in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Rama II Road

I've never seen so many "safety first" signs" yet they don't even have a clue what it means. It's literally raining rubble and debris on to that road. 

Ironically, earlier this week, the Highways Department ordered a temporary halt to the construction of the elevated motorway, to allow inspectors to conduct safety checks after reports had been made construction materials had fallen onto passing vehicles.

Another FAIL for Thai safety in anything

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

I've never seen so many "safety first" signs" yet they don't even have a clue what it means. It's literally raining rubble and debris on to that road. 

They do have a ton of those safety signs all along those types of construction sites.  From the photos in the article it looks like they should replace those tarps with safety netting, which would resolve the rain water collecting and overwhelming the attachment points that break away?  Doesn’t help the earlier problems where the steel beams and poorly installed concrete that has been falling onto the highway.  My wife has been freaking out when we have been driving along some of the newer BTS construction sites and the long stretch of elevated construction heading down south towards Hua Hin a couple month ago.  I try to stay towards the farthest left left lane when she is with me, but hard to do all the time when drivers just park their car in that left lane on a main road and jam up the traffic worse than it already is.

• Like 1

earlier this week, the Highways Department ordered a temporary halt to the construction of the elevated motorway, to allow inspectors to conduct safety checks after reports had been made construction materials had fallen onto passing vehicles."

What they meant to say... "to allow inspectors to collect more brown envelopes"