News Forum - Thailand launches new 10-year visa to attract foreign experts

Thaiger

12 hours ago, Skip said:

And yet the backbone helping to hold the Thai economy to some standard of living is low income expats... why not accept the fact and be thankful for that by encouraging more of them to come here... they actually spend more and contribute more to the communities in Thailand than do the "nomads" and the rich investors... and certainly much more than the rich tourists... just smaller amounts but over a much longer basis.

Ha, the backbone?

Absolutely delusional......

You guys reply to threads and don't even read them

You just want to say what you want to say

This visa, as explained, is mostly so companies can bring in skilled professions easier 

If you think retired expats bring in anything close to what these companies do, again, you are delusional 

And these companies that bring in skilled professionals do hire Thais as well

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Birdie said:

Having just retired to Thailand after travelling here with my Thai wife for 18 years and having had a skilled job in the uk, It would be very unlikely unless you work for a Thai company or have ties with thailand that you would work or relocate to Thailand.Yes they could and should do more to attract the retiered  marriage visa holder.For example I have spent a lot of money visiting Thailand  over 18 years and building a house and retiring here.

Again another expat that lives in a fantasy bubble

Go spend time in Samut Prakan

Go spend time down in Rayong area

Massive companies that bring in all sorts of skilled professionals 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Ha, the backbone?

Absolutely delusional......

You guys reply to threads and don't even read them

You just want to say what you want to say

This visa, as explained, is mostly so companies can bring in skilled professions easier 

If you think retired expats bring in anything close to what these companies do, again, you are delusional 

I'm always quite astounded [well....not really] as to the level of lesser competent knowledge regarding most everything about our fare land here - even from those usual disconnected types that consider themselves old hands, less newbie types. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manu said:

How about teaching and training 1 million young Thai people? Wouldn't it be good for the Thai's economy?

Teaching and training 1 million young Thai people is a good idea of course. But the Thai education system isnt exactly known for its fabulous output of brilliant students. Those who are stupid and have rich parents buy their diplomas. Those who are smart must do what the teacher says. And under no circumstances are they allowed to think by themselves. Either way they will have the diplomas to show they are highly skilled. But that is all most can do, show a diploma.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Janneman said:

Teaching and training 1 million young Thai people is a good idea of course. But the Thai education system isnt exactly known for its fabulous output of brilliant students. Those who are stupid and have rich parents buy their diplomas. Those who are smart must do what the teacher says. And under no circumstances are they allowed to think by themselves. Either way they will have the diplomas to show they are highly skilled. But that is all most can do, show a diploma.

Although I'm not a fan of the Thai education system

You must not spend a lot of time at Universities or around University students in Thailand

There are a lot of extremely smart kids in Thailand 

And, Manu's point was to put those resources into the education system

Hence making it better......

20 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You must not spend a lot of time at Universities or around University students in Thailand

Certainly. Better education will eventually lead to a better economy. But the topic here is about visa, and attracting foreigners. In order to have that better economy a bit quicker.

Now the Thai governement seems to be mixing things up. On the one hand they want to attract highly skilled workers. And oh yes they also welcome retirees. And on the other hand they make the rules rather complicated.  While it can all be so simple.

Highly skilled workers? Sure, let them come. If they do work that cannot be done by an equally skilled Thai of course. The 17% income tax is nice but that will not be the main reason to work in Thailand. Give them a 10 year visa. And forget about the silly 90 day reporting. This will make it easy for companies to hire those highly skilled foreign workers. But not 1 million I think.

And the retirees? Let them come, if they have a stable pension of say 2000 dollar/euro. Give them a 10 year visa too. And no fuzz about having 20.000 dollar/euro in your bank account all year long. Nor the 90 day reporting. It will be pretty easy too get 1 million retirees if they do this. Which means 2 billion dollar/euro pumped into the economy every month. But I have this vague idea in the back of my mind that the Thai government isnt interested in having 1 million dirty old farang retirees in Thailand, doing nothing. It's their country, fine. But that way they do miss 24 billion euro/dollar being pumped in the economy every year.

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Talk about "Absolutely delusional......"

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Name one... most come here to plunder not build community

5 hours ago, Janneman said:

Certainly. Better education will eventually lead to a better economy. But the topic here is about visa, and attracting foreigners. In order to have that better economy a bit quicker.

Now the Thai governement seems to be mixing things up. On the one hand they want to attract highly skilled workers. And oh yes they also welcome retirees. And on the other hand they make the rules rather complicated.  While it can all be so simple.

Highly skilled workers? Sure, let them come. If they do work that cannot be done by an equally skilled Thai of course. The 17% income tax is nice but that will not be the main reason to work in Thailand. Give them a 10 year visa. And forget about the silly 90 day reporting. This will make it easy for companies to hire those highly skilled foreign workers. But not 1 million I think.

And the retirees? Let them come, if they have a stable pension of say 2000 dollar/euro. Give them a 10 year visa too. And no fuzz about having 20.000 dollar/euro in your bank account all year long. Nor the 90 day reporting. It will be pretty easy too get 1 million retirees if they do this. Which means 2 billion dollar/euro pumped into the economy every month. But I have this vague idea in the back of my mind that the Thai government isnt interested in having 1 million dirty old farang retirees in Thailand, doing nothing. It's their country, fine. But that way they do miss 24 billion euro/dollar being pumped in the economy every year.

Absolutely agree with all of that

It's always been foolish to have all these expats in a sort of purgatory of extended tourists basically living in your country full time

And I'm not saying expats don't contribute to the economy, they do

But I do think they tend to over estimate how much they actually do

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Name one... most come here to plunder not build community

I gave you Samut Prakan already 

So I said screw  it, let's do Rayong as well.  😀

I will once again let you pick one

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-information.manufacturing.th.rayong.rayong.html?page=1

Oh and by the way, go take a look at real estate prices in those 2 places, Gee I wonder why they are high, could it be from the jobs produced by these companies in that area????

This is just demographics, Thailand is loosing it's consumption class. This is nothing more than a scheme to get younger workers into the system.  They want high earners and young people to take up the slack.  Only problem I see is after 10 years they would probably want you to go home and recruit a fresh batch of people to shore up the aging system.  Basically a immigration policy to pull in the younger people in their peak earning years then get rid of them as they age.

Edited by garyknrd

1 hour ago, garyknrd said:

This is just demographics, Thailand is loosing it's consumption class. This is nothing more than a scheme to get younger workers into the system.  They want high earners and young people to take up the slack.  Only problem I see is after 10 years they would probably want you to go home and recruit a fresh batch of people to shore up the aging system.  Basically a immigration policy to pull in the younger people in their peak earning years then get rid of them as they age.

Well that how immigration works all over the world

In Canada when you apply for Permanent Residence you get points for age

The younger you are, the more points you get

Then at a certain age, you no longer get any points towards your score to be approved for PR

Canada also favors skilled and executive labor

Work Permits are supposed to be capped at 4 years

But if your work permit is in the top level category, there is no cap on how many years you can stay 

Immigration everywhere is about adding money into the economy 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Well that how immigration works all over the world

In Canada when you apply for Permanent Residence you get points for age

The younger you are, the more points you get

Then at a certain age, you no longer get any points towards your score to be approved for PR

Canada also favors skilled and executive labor

Work Permits are supposed to be capped at 4 years

But if your work permit is in the top level category, there is no cap on how many years you can stay 

Immigration everywhere is about adding money into the economy 

Happening all over the world now.  Countries are doing all they can to bring in immigrants.  The US oddly is in good shape, not great shape.. China is at a point where there is no way they can survive if you look at only demographics. Interesting to see what happens in the next few years. Only thing I don't like about the Thai scheme is , no permeant visa. 

Edited by garyknrd

22 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I gave you Samut Prakan already 

So I said screw  it, let's do Rayong as well.  😀

I will once again let you pick one

https://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-information.manufacturing.th.rayong.rayong.html?page=1

Oh and by the way, go take a look at real estate prices in those 2 places, Gee I wonder why they are high, could it be from the jobs produced by these companies in that area????

You provided an extensive list of exploitive foreign countries that have come to Thailand to take advantage of low wages and poor benefits... 

1 hour ago, Skip said:

You provided an extensive list of exploitive foreign countries that have come to Thailand to take advantage of low wages and poor benefits... 

And you know that for a fact how?

My wife lived in Samut Prakan for decades 

Many of those companies employed Thais with very good job, management jobs, lifted the median income by x-fold 

As usual an expat can't see beyond their little world and thinks every Thai is poor

Just to massage his little ego so he thinks he's "the backbone" of the economy 

That's absolutely laughable 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

And you know that for a fact how?

My wife lived in Samut Prakan for decades 

Many of those companies employed Thais with very good job, management jobs, lifted the median income by x-fold 

As usual an expat can't see beyond their little world and thinks every Thai is poor

Just to massage his little ego so he thinks he's "the backbone" of the economy 

That's absolutely laughable 

I have been here  since 1968 and have witnessed it... not in every instance, but overall.

When you take off your rose colored glasses maybe you will see the overall effect better.

On 8/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, ThaiPadawan said:

As is often the case, the details are lost in translation because they really don’t know what they’re doing anyway. Last time I went to renew my Non-O based on retirement, the IO lost face when she thought I was renewing based on monthly income even though I had clearly documented I had over one million baht in the bank for the required period of time. For several a years actually. So a ‘new requirement’ popped up, to save face I guess, but I had had enough. I said screw it. I’m tired of stupid Thai games. I would qualify for this new ‘wealthy pensioner plan’, but why? Is it really necessary for me to report every 90 days, online or in person since the online is often broken? No, it is not. 

Thailand will find a way to screw this up because that’s what they do best. They find a way to implement policies directly in opposition to the policies they’re trying to implement.

Vietnam looks better and better every passing day. 

Economic reality might change things for the better, and middle class foreign retirees from all races would then be more welcome. 

Politically, I see no improvement for at least half a century or more. 

A further coup is very likely within ten years, but this will not be a republican democracy, rather, another military dictatorship, with a figurehead female head of state.

Still, Vietnam is a Communist state, and as China and Russia have proven, can regress very quickly to type, should power fall into the hands of a dictator. 

If I leave Thailand, I leave Asia altogether. 

There's turbulent times ahead for this entire region. 

On 8/7/2022 at 2:31 AM, Marc26 said:

ttps://www.dnb.com/business-directory/company-information.manufacturing.th.rayong.rayong.html?page=1

An interesting list. The first 4 are petroleum companies, steel company and tire company. Which is nice of course, a lot of money which goes in the economy. But not exactly the type of companies the government mentioned. Medicine, electronics and so on. And I doubt if you need many highly skilled foreign experts to run a tire factory. You just need many rather unskilled laborers I think.

14 hours ago, Skip said:

I have been here  since 1968 and have witnessed it... not in every instance, but overall.

When you take off your rose colored glasses maybe you will see the overall effect better.

I do appreciate your long history in Thailand, I won't discount that, that would be foolish

That is a lot of years, many more than the 20 years I've been associated in Thailand

And I do believe expats absolutely add to the economy and community in Thailand

But I also think they overestimate their contribute at times as well