News Forum - Woman urges people to beware of air-con scam in Thailand

Thaiger

A Thai woman warned people to be careful after she was scammed into buying two second-hand air conditioning units with a secret top-up installment plan. The woman posted her story on Facebook, under the moniker June Smile, of how she was conned into buying two air-con units with an extra 900 baht a month top-up plan despite believing she had paid for the units outright. In the post, she said… “Top-up air conditioner!!! I bought two second-hand air conditioners from a Facebook group at 5,000 baht each and paid 3,000 baht for the installation. It then stopped working one week […]

The story Woman urges people to beware of air-con scam in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

AC technicans know how to by pass the top up unit pcba, this is a very easy job, you can do an youtube video search on this and can do it.

Some info on company website.

Haier HSU-12VNS03T(S)

Haier is ready to be the first in Thailand to provide hourly air conditioning service. via  NB-IoT technology  , starting at only  4  baht per hour by using the  Smart Sharing   application, pay how much you spend  Simply register via QR code to register. After that, a staff from Haier will contact you back and make an appointment to install the air conditioner without any fees or additional installation costs.

Sounds like if approved the initial install and setup is free.  Then you pay as you use the service.

I can see the good and bad.  If you can't afford the total cost or monthly credit this is another way to afford AC.  I want to know are the payments for the life of the unit or until you have paid a certain amount.

On 8/1/2022 at 7:00 PM, ronnie666 said:

Is a big Rip-off  why they do not warn these companies with such a rip off if I do that I go in jail

Not true.  The AC tech deceived this customer.  The product is suppose to be bought through Haier not 2nd hand.  Haier would explain the obligations prior to installation.

1 hour ago, ThaistyleJeff said:

Not true.  The AC tech deceived this customer.  The product is suppose to be bought through Haier not 2nd hand.  Haier would explain the obligations prior to installation.

So is a rip off 

• 1 year later...
On 8/3/2022 at 7:39 AM, ThaistyleJeff said:

Some info on company website.

Haier HSU-12VNS03T(S)

Haier is ready to be the first in Thailand to provide hourly air conditioning service. via  NB-IoT technology  , starting at only  4  baht per hour by using the  Smart Sharing   application, pay how much you spend  Simply register via QR code to register. After that, a staff from Haier will contact you back and make an appointment to install the air conditioner without any fees or additional installation costs.

Sounds like if approved the initial install and setup is free.  Then you pay as you use the service.

I can see the good and bad.  If you can't afford the total cost or monthly credit this is another way to afford AC.  I want to know are the payments for the life of the unit or until you have paid a certain amount.

It’s an instalment plan to make the payments over a 1 year, 2 year period and I hasten to add that this has put me off buying a used air con as very easy for a person to obtain paying 1 month then sell for 5k etc and considering to buy new is maybe a 5k price difference I’d rather not have the headache!

On 8/3/2022 at 7:41 AM, ThaistyleJeff said:

Indeed it was sold as an instalment plan to make the payments over a 1 year, 2 year period etc so very easy for a person to obtain it then maybe paying 1 month and sell for 5k etc. FB mktplace is awash with people selling new air cons suggesting they bought the wrong btu unit for their room size… I’d suggest they are all this very scam… maybe.