Posting Gifts to Thailand from UK

lspab

I brought my Thai Girlfriend a little stuffed cat toy, as she likes this sort of thing, and it looked like her own cat. It wouldn't have cost all that much to post, but checking the Royal Mail website:

https://www.royalmail.com/sending/international/country-guides/thailand

Prohibited items

Prohibited products are not permitted in the mail under any circumstances.

.......• Toys, games and sports requisites; parts and accessories thereof

Am I reading this correctly? You are not allowed to post a toy to Thailand? I don't want to get her into trouble, but she's going to disappointed. Otherwise, she'll just have to wait for it, because I guess I can have a stuffed toy in my luggage.

kittens_AN147_cream_1024x1024.jpg?v=1548

Don't do it.  One, its ridiculous when all such toys are made in Asia and are freely available everywhere. Two, its ludicrously expensive to consider. Three, it probably won't get here and if it does you may pay customs duty on a fur cat toy, which is also ridiculous.  Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense at all. 

5 hours ago, TSS said:

All made in china anyway so d6aac957b03dc1000ce841f3292d8d20.jpg_720x720q80.jpg_.webp.9839c517c936229606cd6a503c412319.webpwhy not pick a stuffed cat from Lazada or Shopee, have it delivered.

All reasonable, except this was not what she wanted. Thanks for not answering the question.

46 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Don't do it.  One, its ridiculous when all such toys are made in Asia and are freely available everywhere. Two, its ludicrously expensive to consider. Three, it probably won't get here and if it does you may pay customs duty on a fur cat toy, which is also ridiculous.  Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense at all. 

Thanks for attempting to answer the question, but not quite getting there. I probably have a different concept to what is expensive from you though.

Interesting insight into the alleged inherant inefficiency/corruptness of Thailand Post. Wasn't what I was asking for, but hey ho, thanks for letting me know.

Not sure that you are correct that such an item would subject to duty though. According to Thai Customs (not Thailand Post), toys are on the prohibited list alongside used cars, offensive material and illicit drugs.

Lastly, I agree with  you that Thai Customs policy makes no sense at all. There is no significant Thai toy industry to protect, and the safety standards of CE I suspect exceed Thai requirements. Unless this wasn't a comment aimed at the actual question?

1 hour ago, lspab said:

Thanks for attempting to answer the question, but not quite getting there. I probably have a different concept to what is expensive from you though.

Yea, really pushing the boat out buying her a stuffed cat. lucky girl!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Scarface said:

Yea, really pushing the boat out buying her a stuffed cat. lucky girl!

C'mon. Who has not offered their girlfriend a stuffed pussy?

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

C'mon. Who has not offered their girlfriend a stuffed pussy?

The UK Women's football players apparently, but that is just informed speculation. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

The UK Women's football players apparently, but that is just informed speculation. 

Well it has to be said this thread went on for far too long before a stuffed pussy joke was made.

Gentlemen, I hope and trust such a situation will not occur again. We have standards to maintain after all. 

• Haha 2