News Forum - British man injured in assault by Thai taxi driver. Or was it a fence?

Thaiger

What looked to be another blight on Thailand’s treatment of foreigners ended up instead as a blight on foreigners in Thailand as a British man who claimed to have been attacked by a taxi driver in Chiang Mai confessed that he had actually injured himself on a fence. The man suffered cuts in the palm of his hand and on his fingers, claiming they were sustained when a Thai taxi driver stabbed him just before 2 am last Tuesday. The 30 year old British man claimed that he had left an entertainment establishment in Mueang District on Ratchawithi Road late […]

The story British man injured in assault by Thai taxi driver. Or was it a fence? as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

police say that his story of an innocent foreigner being attacked by a crazed Thai person is damaging to tourism in Thailand and the image of Chiang Mai.

So all the actual attacks on tourists are not damaging to tourism. Yes the Brit was wrong and an idiot but if it wasn’t reported then no one would know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The man has not made any public statement about the incident, but the police say that his story of an innocent foreigner being attacked by a crazed Thai person is damaging to tourism in Thailand and the image of Chiang Mai.

Stories aren't damaging, only their publication. If the man had not made any public statement, then what's the origin of publication of the story?

If it were the police themselves who pushed the story into the public domain, it's hardly ethical for them to complain about "damaged images" while shifting blame away from themselves at the same time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

Stories aren't damaging, only their publication. If the man had not made any public statement, then what's the origin of publication of the story?

If you read the full story it says" tourist police questioned him as he confirmed his story."  while he was at the hospital getting bandaged up. 

So I guess tourist police speak proper English up in Chang Mai and were able to report all the things he said accurately.   

I have been the victim of several vicious unprovoked assaults by inanimate objects that occurred after consuming one sherbet too many. Should I have reported these to the police? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ChrisS said:

I hope he gets a hefty fine followed by deportation. Thailand doesn't need people like this idiot.

Oh my!

The holier than thou brigade are out in force today.

He was foolish and made a mistake - that harmed no one.

The hanging judge is not needed.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 10:00 PM, Chaimai said:

Oh my!

The holier than thou brigade are out in force today.

He was foolish and made a mistake - that harmed no one.

The hanging judge is not needed.

As long as he makes reparations for the property damage and apologises (suitably) to the property owners...

• Like 1