News Forum - Police in eastern Thailand province give helmets to riders caught without them

Thaiger

Police in one province in eastern Thailand are giving free helmets to motorcycle riders caught not wearing them. The deputy chief of Trat Provincial Police, along with a team of traffic police, started this new approach today. Instead of fining riders caught without helmets, the police passed out free helmets to riders passing by a school in the main city district. Police chief Somchai Yusawat said this is part of a campaign to raise awareness on helmet safety, regardless of whether people are riding a short or long distance. The Trat Provincial Administrative Organisation has so far paid for at […]

The story Police in eastern Thailand province give helmets to riders caught without them as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I’ve ridden in Trat province before, on Koh Chang. The police must have a lot of helmets in stock because not a lot of people are wearing them.

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Who take them home, hang them somewhere, and never use them.

Even better, sell 'em at a discount. Then get a new one from the police. And so on. Nice business model.

• Like 2

how useless are they going to be in saving a life. My two helmets both cost in excess of 16,000 Baht, that's because they are certified to protect my head, not shatter in contact.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awhsome54 said:

They will not wear a helmet but will not stop wearing a mask.

what does this say about Thailand???

I think that it illustrates very well about education.

We have all been bombarded with the effects of Covid & Thai people appear to understand the health risks, the possible consequence might be severe illness.

Helmets, well the only consequence that is perceived, is a fine by the Police.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BigHewer said:

I’ve ridden in Trat province before, on Koh Chang. The police must have a lot of helmets in stock because not a lot of people are wearing them.

And that is everywhere they where mask 55555

Is not they can not afford it, they just stubborn, helmet mess up my hair, etc. Brainless nit educated well enough fines are not harsh enough

• Like 1

It all boils down to enforcement. I have seen many foreigners who are either living or visiting Thailand are also not following even thought the law is very strict and they strictly adhere to the laws in their home country.   

2 hours ago, Faraday said:

We have all been bombarded with the effects of Covid & Thai people appear to understand the health risks, the possible consequence might be severe illness.

So the best idea: Stay out f the city, then you don't need a helmet and risk being fined.

Although my wife does wear a helmet (not a euphemism), I thought to try and reinforce the message I showed her some RTC (Road Traffic Collision) videos showing motorcyclists with severe head injuries.

After a couple of seconds she looked away and didn't want to see any more, as it was upsetting.
Sadly it illustrates to me that, as with most Thais, rather than want to know about consequences, it's better to avoid the subject altogether if it's unpleasant.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Faraday said:

Until they hit a concrete pole at 60 kilometers per hour. Better a cracked helmet than a cracked skull.