News Forum - Australian passengers queuing up outside airport terminals as unions threaten more delays

Thaiger

The world’s travel woes have made their way to Australia. Long queues and equally long delays at Australian airports are set to get worse as baggage handlers across the east coast initiate industrial action at a lunchtime meeting today. The strike threatens to impact baggage handling for up to 20 airlines including Singapore Airlines, Qantas, Etihad and Air Canada. With cancellations and delays starting to beleaguer passengers, now baggage handlers are preparing to strike after talks over better pay and conditions ground to a halt check-in counters encountered a raft of security issues. A computer glitch this morning at Sydney Airport […]

The story Australian passengers queuing up outside airport terminals as unions threaten more delays as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is the same everywhere: high inflation has made minimal wages too low to live and corporations are very reluctant to increase the wages. Employees have to strike in order to get heard.

Are we living in the 60's? These guys handling bagages in Australia airports are always rough with my bags. Just quit and get another job if you are not happy. Why cause problems to the passengers.

7 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Are we living in the 60's? These guys handling bagages in Australia airports are always rough with my bags. Just quit and get another job if you are not happy. Why cause problems to the passengers.

They are overpaid and now threatened by companies like Dnata, an Emirates company, who employ at lower rates.

Ive sat in an Aussie departure gate lounge watching baggage being unloaded and thrown onto the trailer.  On one, already full, the handler tossed a case up on top and it slid across and fell down the other side.  They don't give a sh#t, Unions protect their jobs.

• Like 1

I've been travelling with Qantas doing FIFO in WA for 15+ years, never had a problem with baggage until they sacked their regular crews and employed the Neanderthals they have today. Within 3 months I had 2 bags broken beyond repair, and it took months for Qantas to accept responsibility and liability. Even when I bought new bags cheaper than the ones they were offering, and better quality, they still refused to reimburse me the cheaper option until I threatened them with a Civil Law Suit. After nearly 4 months, I finally got a call from someone in Baggage Handling who sorted everything out. Since that gay leprechaun took control of Qantas, it's become one of the most useless and untrustworthy airlines around. 

• Like 1