News Forum - Fugitive first Thai monkeypox believed to have swam to Cambodia

Thaiger

The hunt has been on for a Nigerian man that was identified as Thailand’s first confirmed monkeypox case in Phuket. He disappeared after failing to report to the hospital and a national manhunt ensued. Now the man with monkeypox is believed to have fled the country by swimming across the Sa Kaeo River into Cambodia. When this 27 year old man travelled from Nigeria and then reported symptoms to a private hospital in Phuket, Thailand became the 71st country to confirm monkeypox, which had been endemic in a few Central African countries until this recent outbreak. He tested positive for […]

The story Fugitive first Thai monkeypox believed to have swam to Cambodia as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Good...now he has left behind a trail of infection across Thailand starting from Phuket....I wonder how many of those Thai guest relations girls he met in Phuket.....

Edited by Ramanathan.P
  • Like 2

I've seen 2 different reports on this.. 1 said he had an education visa that expired in January and he overstayed.. Well if he's been here since then where did he get monkey pox from?

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I've seen 2 different reports on this.. 1 said he had an education visa that expired in January and he overstayed.. Well if he's been here since then where did he get monkey pox from?

Hmm...good question. Now they have to look for the monkey that bring the pox to him.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

Well in one of those reports it was said he arrived 2 weeks ago. Which is kinda funny if his visa expired 8 months ago.

Anyhow, what's all the fuzz about? Monkeypox is rather harmless so why create panic? If he had arrived with Marburg or Ebola I could understand panic. But if he had one of those he would be dead by now.

53 minutes ago, Janneman said:

Well in one of those reports it was said he arrived 2 weeks ago. Which is kinda funny if his visa expired 8 months ago.

On the radar, perhaps?

Or to make sure, that no one start thinking 'bout:

"He is long here, already, so from whom did he get that IN THAILAND, then? (First case my ar..)

But actually, I would look into arrivals of the past weeks to Thailand/Phuket, from the same area, Nigeria and around? Who may be "friends" of this guy, or businesspartners?

• Thanks 1

If the man overstayed his Visa since November of last year and reported his symptoms on July 18 in Phuket,

He caught the virus in Thailand.  He didn't bring it with him from Nigeria.  He didn't carry the virus for 7 months.

• Like 1

Note to Members.

Members are reminded to make sure any inferred facts in their comments are supported by a suitable working URL link.

Other members are equally advised that just because you disagree with a comment posted, that doesn't give you licence to disparage another member or ridicule them.

Several comments have been removed for the above reasons. Let's see with if we can have a civil discussion on a challenging health matter, without the unnecessary inflammatory remarks.

Thai media and some law enforcement sources are reporting that they believe the man with monkeypox fled to the border with Cambodia where he swam across the river into the neighbouring country

Can't be that sick then...

"the man reportedly boarded Ethiopian Airlines flight ET0618 to Suvarnabhumi airport on Oct 21 with a non-immigrant visa to study language at a university in Chiang Mai until Jan 18." -- Bangkok Post

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2352424/fleeing-monkeypox-patient-caught-in-cambodia

So he caught the m-pox in Thailand. From someone else. The plot thickens....

• Like 1

This has potential for creation of real problems.

1st he arrived in Thailand October 21st,,,,,,monkeypox has 21day incubation period which would mean he caught it in Thailand therefore he is not the first.

2nd he has been visiting entertainment venues in Puket which throws  the doors open for further contamination potential being spread by the persons he had close contact with.

It would be of benefit to know at what point someone becomes infectious, it would seem to be prior to when all the symptoms present.

The guy is in Cambodia and is receiving treatment... 

As if he'll get better treatment in Cambodia: illegal entry into country + knowingly introducing communicable disease. He should have stayed and report in Thailand. Good luck in Cambodia.

Wonder what prompted him to run away given his condition. I get the overstay but his money pox diagnosis should've convinced him to stay and get treatment no?

1 hour ago, Leo said:

As if he'll get better treatment in Cambodia: illegal entry into country + knowingly introducing communicable disease. He should have stayed and report in Thailand. Good luck in Cambodia.

He will probably get a small illegal entry fine and deported from Cambodia.. if he'd stayed in Thailand he would have been fined for overstay and I believe possibly jail.. someone on here would probably know exactly the over stay fee but I did hear ฿500 a day 

54 minutes ago, Richard61 said:

Swam? Swum surely. Come on Thiager, sharpen up your grammar.

Maybe swam is correct after all, although not big on the grammar police.

swam / swum

The regular past tense of “swim” is “swam”: “I swam to the island.” However, when the word is preceded by a helping verb, it changes to “swum”: “I’ve swum to the island every day.” The “’ve” stands for “have,” a helping verb.

• Like 1

"Monkeypox is a rather harmless virus." 

It can cause extreme pain. Lesions may break out all over the body -  on the skull, face, arms, neck, back, torso, legs, feet. The lesions may become infected, fill with pus, break open and ooze pus. Lesions can form on the anus and inside the rectum and become open wounds causing extreme pain and sanitary issues (!) during bowel movements:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/23/i-literally-screamed-out-loud-in-pain-my-two-weeks-of-monkeypox-hell

There have been no deaths reported outside Africa but In areas where it is endemic in Africa it is fatal in up to 10% of cases:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease-outbreak-news/item/2022-DON385

On top of which it can be sexually transmitted. A potential outbreak of monkey pox in a country where sex tourism is a major industry is definitely something to be alarmed about.

Edited by Bangkok_Gary
  • Like 2

It is sexually transmitted. Thailand is a sex tourism destination. Connect the dots. Diseases spread. And they grow. Exponentially. One case becomes two. Two becomes four. Four becomes eight. Eight becomes sixteen. And pretty soon there are thousands. And people get scared and stay away. And the tourist industry crashes and burns again. This needs to be taken seriously. Not dismissed as harmless. It has the potential to do huge damage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

It is sexually transmitted. Thailand is a sex tourism destination. Connect the dots. Diseases spread. And they grow. Exponentially. One case becomes two. Two becomes four. Four becomes eight. Eight becomes sixteen. And pretty soon there are thousands. And people get scared and stay away. And the tourist industry crashes and burns again. This needs to be taken seriously. Not dismissed as harmless. It has the potential to do huge damage.

Ah yes the consequences might be bad for the tourism industry. I agree with that.

And since the guy most likely was infected in Thailand the police better start hunting for his contacts. Although I'm afraid it's a bit too late for that now.

6 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

if he'd stayed in Thailand he would have been fined for overstay and I believe possibly jail.. someone on here would probably know exactly the over stay fee but I did hear ฿500 a day 

500 BHT a day, up to a maximum of 20,000 BHT if surrendering to authorities.
Over 90 days, but less than a year overstay, he would have been fined 20K BHT, deported, and banned from reentry for 12 months. Only temporary jailed if he couldn't pay the overstay fine. 

However, if arrested, the max fine of 20K THB still applies, but for less than 1 year overstay the ban is increased to 5 years.

thailand-overstay.thumb.jpg.f67a734b1173038bd9d70c52cdf5066c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Davelee said:

Wonder what prompted him to run away given his condition. I get the overstay but his money pox diagnosis should've convinced him to stay and get treatment no?

Funny you wrote "money pox diagnosis" instead of "monkey...", cause his "money diagnosis" might actually be the answer to your question: he does not have the 20 000bth to pay the fine. And perhaps deportation to his country is not a very good option for him for many reasons. Finally "his condition"? Not that bad at all could also be the answer.