News Forum - Elephant stabs mahout to death with its tusks in southern Thailand

Thaiger

An elephant stabbed its mahout – or elephant trainer – to death with its tusks yesterday morning in Nahkhon Si Thammarat province in southern Thailand. The elephant stood watch over the man’s corpse for hours, said police. Yesterday at 10:30am, officers from Chawang Police Station received a report that a man had died after he was pierced by his own elephant’s tusks. A team of police and rescue workers rushed to the scene on a hill in the forest, where they found a big elephant guarding over the body of its mahout Chaichana Matchanimwong. Chaichana’s body was covered in wounds, […]

The story Elephant stabs mahout to death with its tusks in southern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well, elephants usually don't carry knives or other sharp objects, having no opposable thumbs, so saying it used its tusks is kinda redundant.

• Haha 2

He cannot have been a good mahout.

Elephants are very intelligent and have excellent memory. 

This guy did something very wrong to this elephant.

Pay back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, palooka said:

He cannot have been a good mahout.

Elephants are very intelligent and have excellent memory. 

This guy did something very wrong to this elephant.

Pay back.

They'll always be a couple in the bunch.

Most mahouts are decent souls and have connecting associations with their charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherExpat said:

Well, elephants usually don't carry knives or other sharp objects, having no opposable thumbs, so saying it used its tusks is kinda redundant.

The statement is probably redundant (the hesitancy in there is because snouts may be even more versatile than opposing thumbs, see image for a "proof").

snout.thumb.jpg.c21ad01185eaf449f899409717a2216c.jpg

Still, I prefer redundancy over a blatant deficiency of facts. One thing I learned from this article is that stabbing is much less likely than trampling (kind of like stabbing but with a very blunt object). If I can learn something in less than a minute by reading a long-worded version, I'll take any redundancy for granted without complaint. It would have been nice to also learn a bit more about elephant behavior or the dwindling elephant population in Thailand, but perhaps that's hoping for too much/for another time. 

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

An elephant stabbed its mahout – or elephant trainer – to death with its tusks yesterday morning in Nahkhon Si Thammarat province in southern Thailand.

"Funny", a scene like that I had in mind, seeing the picture of the "I ride a elephant to school"-girl's elephant and his tusks

• Cool 1