News Forum - New plans to help Pattaya’s homeless reintegrate in society

Thaiger

Pattaya officials are trying new ways to improve the city’s issues with homelessness. Deputy mayor Wuttisak Rueimkitkan led a campaign launch yesterday, with help from the Chonburi Homeless Protection Center. The campaign’s goal is to help integrate homeless people back into society. Wuttisak had 2 groups of city officials look for homeless people around Pattaya Beach Road and Pattaya Second Road. The officials helped them with issues over documentation as a first step to integrate them back into society. Wuttisak said that every second and fourth Thursday of the month, officials will set up a stand in front of the […]

The story New plans to help Pattaya’s homeless reintegrate in society as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Hmmm.. need to clean the tourist streets of the unsightly homeless and what better way to do it then to offer a helping hand, identify them and integrate them back into society somewhere outside of Pattaya.

• Like 1

Certainly they can be employed as Tuk Tuk drivers, Jet Ski rental operators or taxi drivers. Lots of job opportunities servicing tourists for the homeless & people with substance abuse issues in Pattaya.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is easy to be cynical about any announcement on the part of a government official in Thailand, especially when it concerns helping the less fortunate; we all are too familiar with the BS.

That said, the partnership with the Chonburi Homeless Protection Center sounds like a good thing, and I really hope that good things come out of it.

We of TT sometimes forget just how good we have it; we are all educated people who have the ability to travel and the purchasing power to own a computing device to post with; that isn't true across the board.

I've never been homeless, but I have been unemployed at times and it isn't easy to get yourself back into mainstream society.

Up to date ID is a vital thing in today's world, but if you are homeless and not sure where your next meal is coming from, how do you get it? Who would even answer a question or two? Who would pay for the inevitable photocopies required to get it? What would you do if the methodology is 'Download the App' and you don't have a Smartphone?

Next.

Looking for a job. "Okay, tell me your employment history?" says the interviewer. You answer "I was homeless for the last year."

Next.

"Hi. Can I rent a room?" says the homeless guy. "Do you have a reference?" says the potential landlord.

Next.

Good people were hit hard by the economic fallout of Covid; helping them get their lives back in order helps everyone.

It s easy to be cynical (I am too), but perhaps a wee bit of compassion should also be mixed in. It could happen to you, too.