Electrical Help

Philly

I’m handy at most things but a bit afraid of electrical work in Thailand.

I’m looking to run a cable underground in the garden and have 2 electrical sockets positioned on a wall in protective casing for when it rains. I’ll also put the underground cable in protective tubing.

My question is, is it just a matter of connecting the 2 wires to an existing outdoor power supply or do I need anything else?

ps I’ll make sure I turn the mains off before I start

Thanks

13 minutes ago, Philly said:

I’m handy at most things but a bit afraid of electrical work in Thailand.

I’m looking to run a cable underground in the garden and have 2 electrical sockets positioned on a wall in protective casing for when it rains. I’ll also put the underground cable in protective tubing.

My question is, is it just a matter of connecting the 2 wires to an existing outdoor power supply or do I need anything else?

ps I’ll make sure I turn the mains off before I start

Thanks

Ideally you should have an Earth connection which could be as simple as driving a copper earth rod (from any building supplier) into the ground near your supply if there is no existing earthing in the house wiring.

unnamed.jpeg

b-q-earth-rod~03620199_02c?$MOB_PREV$&$w

I would use double shielded twin core (+earth perhaps) and run inside red-striped PVC conduit* ex electrical wholesale or building supplies.  *Not blue stripe as it designates water.

You can also use rigid yellow conduit for relatively short runs but ensure the joints are sealed to prevent water ingress.

With regards to connecting the new cable, can I just connect to the existing socket? Or do I need anything extra, thanks

6 hours ago, Philly said:

With regards to connecting the new cable, can I just connect to the existing socket? Or do I need anything extra, thanks

It depends on the location of the socket and loads you will apply but in general terms you can connect to the existing socket provided it is in good order.  Most exterior water-resistant cases have pop-out or drill-out tabs for connecting new cables into the pvc housing, as per pic >

image.png.44e1e01074db2cda35ce89cb13075502.png

15 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

It depends on the location of the socket and loads you will apply but in general terms you can connect to the existing socket provided it is in good order.  Most exterior water-resistant cases have pop-out or drill-out tabs for connecting new cables into the pvc housing, as per pic >

image.png.44e1e01074db2cda35ce89cb13075502.png

Yep that’s what I thought, electrical work isn’t my strong point. Thanks very much I’ll use conduit etc