News Forum - Government angry Thailand came last in ‘Land of Smiles’ poll

Thaiger

3 hours ago, vlad said:

Not at all Marc people like you will never see any fault with Thais and anyone that says anything bad you go on the defensive probably why you turned your back on the UK and married a Thai. All you do now is slag off Brits.

I'm not from the UK

Plenty of faults with Thais, take the good with the bad, and there is much more good.

But I honestly thinks it's bizarre that you and so many other have such animosity towards the place, yet still associate with it

It's so weird to me......

If I felt the way you and many others on the forum feel about Thailand, I'd disassociate myself from the place and find some place that I actually enjoy 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vlad said:

I like the Tropical climate the beaches and the food and the price. What i don't like is the corruption the Rip-offs the Scams that come when you Travel to Thailand Ask yourself why it has the reputation that it has unless you think all the stories we here are made up and it doesn't happen. 

As someone who lives there, where do you face ripoffs and scams?

I'm not saying there isn't, as there is everywhere 

But when you leave there, I don't know how you can get scammed 

You would know where to go

You would know the pricing and what things should cost 

So I don't know how anyone living there gets scammed 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I'm not from the UK

Plenty of faults with Thais, take the good with the bad, and there is much more good.

But I honestly thinks it's bizarre that you and so many other have such animosity towards the place, yet still associate with it

It's so weird to me......

If I felt the way you and many others on the forum feel about Thailand, I'd disassociate myself from the place and find some place that I actually enjoy 

I think I know why he comes here. All the talk about fake smiles and rip offs I think he comes for the cheap hookers hence has a very distorted view of the country. Even in that part of Thai life the way that you are treated is very much dependent on your behavior towards others🤔 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:57 PM, TiT said:

I mean its true, rarely do you get any sort of warm welcome anymore unless they are trying to sell you something.  As soon as you say no thank you, they immediately frown, grimace, or turn around, its plain as day for anyone to see.

In tourist places yes.. time for you to make some trips to the real thailand

• Like 1

Main thing is most of you came in Thailand went to live in a tourist place and never left.

I lived in a tourist place for a long time, now I live in the north of Thailand, big difference from day 1 and still surprises me every single day. Big difference in many things, people, attitude, etc. Small things like people not waiting for a tip or to get your money constantly  I went for my tablet it did not start anymore, took her 10 seconds fixed no payment needed, I gave anyway a tip, but in tourist places they say it is broken or need to be repaired.. motorbike brake fluid they filled it up no pay needed.. people nice not much foreigner here, they do to me as to a Thai... friendly and engage to speak with me... my suggestion Thailand is a lot nicer then pattaya, bangkok, phuket and chiang Mai... try it... seems people outside of tourist places do not listen to the crap that the government try to brainwash the people with.. like dirty fallang etc.

Edited by ronnie666
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ronnie666 said:

Main thing is most of you came in Thailand went to live in a tourist place and never left.

I lived in a tourist place for a long time, now I live in the north of Thailand, big difference from day 1 and still surprises me every single day. Big difference in many things, people, attitude, etc. Small things like people not waiting for a tip or to get your money constantly  I went for my tablet it did not start anymore, took her 10 seconds fixed no payment needed, I gave anyway a tip, but in tourist places they say it is broken or need to be repaired.. motorbike brake fluid they filled it up no pay needed.. people nice not much foreigner here, they do to me as to a Thai... friendly and engage to speak with me... my suggestion Thailand is a lot nicer then pattaya, bangkok, phuket and chiang Mai... try it... seems people outside of tourist places do not listen to the crap that the government try to brainwash the people with.. like dirty fallang etc.

I've had all those good experiences you have had in all those Tourist places you mentioned, CM, Bangkok, Phuket

100's of them

I've also had bad experiences in local areas

Why do people think Thailand is any different than any other country?

There are good and bad everywhere 

I brush off the bad, because usually it's inconsequential,  and enjoy the good

• Like 1

This last trip I had 2 really bad interactions 

One at Lotus, one at the ferry to Koh Phangan 

But I had about 50 awesome experiences that totally negate those 2 bad ones 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, vlad said:

Not at all Marc people like you will never see any fault with Thais and anyone that says anything bad you go on the defensive probably why you turned your back on the UK and married a Thai. All you do now is slag off Brits.

Actually if you knew me, you'd know I'm am not even close to some happy go lucky guy that let's anything go without complaining 

It's just that so many of you guys on here are so God damn miserable and negative that I come off as some sort of defender 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Your correct Marc26 I don't know you but I have read various posts where you constantly berate brits and westerners if they come to Thailand and are scammed or complain about the latest scams such as the tbt300 entrance scam and you think all Thais are a pleasant nation and how bright the sun shines out of there Arse.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vlad said:

Your correct Marc26 I don't know you but I have read various posts where you constantly berate brits and westerners if they come to Thailand and are scammed or complain about the latest scams such as the tbt300 entrance scam and you think all Thais are a pleasant nation and how bright the sun shines out of there Arse.

And you complain about Thailand and think the majority of Thais are bad news which just shows ignorance of the reality . He has clearly stated that he doesn’t believe that all Thais are good because there are good people and bad people in every country. I don’t think you even live here do you? You mentioned that you like the country because of the climate, food and cheap prices which sounds like the things that a tourist would look for. If that’s the case fine but you won’t experience the real Thailand if you just hang around the tourist traps. If you find yourself being scammed a lot it says more about you than the country IMO. If you go around exuding negative feelings towards Thai people they will sense it and treat you accordingly.

Typical response and yes I have lived in Thailand and seen the truth behind the false smile like so many on here, unlike some on here.

54 minutes ago, vlad said:

Typical response and yes I have lived in Thailand and seen the truth behind the false smile like so many on here, unlike some on here.

You seem very bitter. Did you have any actual bad experiences or do you just copy other peoples comments? How long did you live here and what were you doing? You keep mentioning false smiles which sounds like comments I have heard from guys who spent all their time in go go bars then end up hating Thailand when their 20-30 year younger girlfriend runs off with all their money. Sound familiar?? 🤔

16 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

all their time in go go bars then end up hating Thailand when their 20-30 year younger girlfriend runs off with all their money

Sorry I should have said girlfriend or boyfriend. It’s wrong of me to assume.

7 hours ago, vlad said:

Yet you choose to still associate with the place

Your life at home must have sucked like you wouldn't believe............

People like yourself and so many on here just want to focus on the negativity and I think for most expats, they do so to make them feel superior...............which most clearly weren't much of anything in their own countries..........

I complain about the homeless and druggies and the way the city is run where I live in Vancouver.............but I focus on the 100 things that are great

I am headed back to my home Boston this weekend, always excited but know the negatives of the place as well

So happy to enjoy what I love about the place and then happy to head back to Canada after my stay

I was in Thailand for 6 weeks in May/June

I had 2 bad experiences and 100 good ones............why worry about the 2 bad ones???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vlad said:

Not that old chestnut steve you're getting boring just keep your head in the sand and you won't hear anything bad.

I have heard and seen plenty of bad things in the 20+years that I have been living and working here but I haven’t had many bad experiences myself so they  they are the exception rather than the norm and I don’t spend all my time talking about them. I have a positive outlook on life and an overwhelmingly  positive experience in Thailand and like living here.If my impression of Thailand was as bad as yours is I would have left years ago.

I am still waiting to hear what actual bad experiences you have had here. You talk about hearing bad things rather than experiencing them so do you just trawl through the forums copying other peoples negative comments?

Plenty of people talk about Thailand in a negative way on the forums but generally they enjoy living here and like most Thai people but you are one of the only people that thinks everyone is bad and Thailand is a terrible place. I really don’t understand why you come here if it’s so bad.

To be honest your comments have so little detail and are so general that you could easily be some weirdo sitting in his Mum’s house basement making up posts  based on other peoples comments for fun just to annoy people. Are you?🤔

24 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

I have heard and seen plenty of bad things in the 20+years that I have been living and working here but I haven’t had many bad experiences myself so they  they are the exception rather than the norm and I don’t spend all my time talking about them. I have a positive outlook on life and an overwhelmingly  positive experience in Thailand and like living here.If my impression of Thailand was as bad as yours is I would have left years ago.

I am still waiting to hear what actual bad experiences you have had here. You talk about hearing bad things rather than experiencing them so do you just trawl through the forums copying other peoples negative comments?

Plenty of people talk about Thailand in a negative way on the forums but generally they enjoy living here and like most Thai people but you are one of the only people that thinks everyone is bad and Thailand is a terrible place. I really don’t understand why you come here if it’s so bad.

To be honest your comments have so little detail and are so general that you could easily be some weirdo sitting in his Mum’s house basement making up posts  based on other peoples comments for fun just to annoy people. Are you?🤔

The thing is, these people are so miserable, there is no use even debating them.............I do so because I like calling them miserable  :)

They don't care what the facts are

They whine about the dual pricing.............yet you can point to any country that gives residents discounts

They whine about masks.............yet they ignore people on the ground telling them you barely have to wear them if you don't want to

As I said above, most of them like to be negative because it makes them feel superior for once in their life

When most weren't all that special in their real life............that's why they are bitter and miserable

On 7/19/2022 at 11:14 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

I take every poll published on this site/in Thailand with a GIANT grain of salt; if the polling methodology isn't accessible then it is a waste of electrons.

However, I do believe that the Land Of Smiles is smiling a lot less, and I blame Prayut and the Military & Co.

I started visiting Thailand at the start of the '90s or so and fell in love; on every street, in every Soi, with every shopkeeper, with every street-seller, with everyone there was a sense of fun and a sense that literally anything could happen in the next few minutes. Globally, the entire world was watching Thailand as the NEXT BIG THING on the global stage, and everyone thought great things were just over the horizon. It was a glorious time when the Thai people began learning what they wanted and how to express it. 

Then the coup in 2006.

Then again in 2014.

The world isn't watching anymore, except with sadness.

And the life began to get sucked out of Thailand, bit by bit by bit by bit. New laws/regs limiting the wildness, new laws/regs governing and limiting all aspects of life, new laws/regs giving the government the right to snoop, monitor and interfere at will, etc, etc, etc. By the way, before anyone starts whining "Thaksin was worse", let me say the Thai people elected him and his parties, and that is what matters. Moreover, while I didn't (and don't) like the guy, he was a good PM and infinitely better than the current one. Finally, it is apparent that the current lot are trying to re-create the ambiance and 'joie de vivre' of an Army base, except do it nation-wide, and sadly that have accomplished part of their goal.

"Government angry Thailand came last in ‘Land of Smiles’ poll"

Dear Government

If you are angry about coming last in the poll, look in the mirror for the reason why.

The government here is beyond toxic. They are nasty, difficult to deal with and xenophobic. Not to mention a complete failure at everything they do. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

The thing is, these people are so miserable, there is no use even debating them.............I do so because I like calling them miserable  :)

They don't care what the facts are

They whine about the dual pricing.............yet you can point to any country that gives residents discounts

They whine about masks.............yet they ignore people on the ground telling them you barely have to wear them if you don't want to

As I said above, most of them like to be negative because it makes them feel superior for once in their life

When most weren't all that special in their real life............that's why they are bitter and miserable

Yes but most of the negative posters do have a genuine connection with Thailand and despite their negative whining they do like the place when you ask them about it.In @vlad’s case he doesn’t come up with any informed comments it’s all hearsay so I don’t think he has a genuine interest in or extensive knowledge of Thailand. I think I will just ignore him or laugh at his comments. 😎

2 hours ago, Stevejm said:

You must be one of the washed Falangs as the Thai health minister classes us as dirty unwashed falangs and are not wanted in Thailand says it all in my book what were thought of. Remind us who is running the Government, a democratically voted in Prime Minister or a Military leader who seized power and inflicted pain and suffering on his people due to their stupidity and ignorance in controlling the Covid Pandemic or as I suspect you believe they controlled it well.

• Haha 1