News Forum - Government angry Thailand came last in ‘Land of Smiles’ poll

Thaiger

Thai and foreign netizens have been left stunned after seeing Thailand ranked at the bottom of a Land of Smiles poll conducted by Gallup Global Emotions 2022. The controversial poll even upset the Thai government who hit back, saying the topic wasn’t even included in the official survey report. Singaporean media platform, Southeast Asia Stats, posted a “Southeast Asian Country That Treats People With a Smile” poll on its official Facebook page last Sunday, saying Thailand was the bottom country while Indonesia was the globe’s top nation. The poll revealed that Indonesian visitors experienced smiles 90% of the time. Gallup […]

The story Government angry Thailand came last in ‘Land of Smiles’ poll as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

555 cue the “blame it on the masks” crowd. Between knife wielding taxi drivers and stern faced Immigration officials I am not surprised. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

Another example how this government has no interest to solving solutions based on data.

Rather than admit it’s people are less happy and doing something about it (one of the survey questions relating to a smile on the previous day), the government just blames the survey. No wonder people are less happy. 

Just a note on the article, the survey is based on responses from each country—not tourists. 

• Like 8

I take every poll published on this site/in Thailand with a GIANT grain of salt; if the polling methodology isn't accessible then it is a waste of electrons.

However, I do believe that the Land Of Smiles is smiling a lot less, and I blame Prayut and the Military & Co.

I started visiting Thailand at the start of the '90s or so and fell in love; on every street, in every Soi, with every shopkeeper, with every street-seller, with everyone there was a sense of fun and a sense that literally anything could happen in the next few minutes. Globally, the entire world was watching Thailand as the NEXT BIG THING on the global stage, and everyone thought great things were just over the horizon. It was a glorious time when the Thai people began learning what they wanted and how to express it. 

Then the coup in 2006.

Then again in 2014.

The world isn't watching anymore, except with sadness.

And the life began to get sucked out of Thailand, bit by bit by bit by bit. New laws/regs limiting the wildness, new laws/regs governing and limiting all aspects of life, new laws/regs giving the government the right to snoop, monitor and interfere at will, etc, etc, etc. By the way, before anyone starts whining "Thaksin was worse", let me say the Thai people elected him and his parties, and that is what matters. Moreover, while I didn't (and don't) like the guy, he was a good PM and infinitely better than the current one. Finally, it is apparent that the current lot are trying to re-create the ambiance and 'joie de vivre' of an Army base, except do it nation-wide, and sadly that have accomplished part of their goal.

"Government angry Thailand came last in ‘Land of Smiles’ poll"

Dear Government

If you are angry about coming last in the poll, look in the mirror for the reason why.

• Like 18

The problem is most Thai people are selective in their smiles. They only smile if they can make money or pull wool out of the eye. In Thailand only a people from a selective region, especially from the west always receive smiles that shows all the 32 teeth. People from the rest of the regions are normally ignored. When one bite the chili one has to feel the hot sensation.....don't be defensive. The fact is the fact. The survey was carried out with 127,000 participants. Not 1270 participants which normally happens in any survey within Thailand. 

• Like 1

Trisuree accept the fact thailand ended last, people NOT happy, instead of making excuses, do something about it, main thing is listen to the people, what is not done at all

Thailand is a land of smiles, however the smile changed angle, visitors started smiling rather than the general public.

the reasons are known to people.

'The government spokesperson added she wants all Thai people to welcome and impress visitors and help boost the Thai economy together.'

Yea, all must smile at the tourists. And make sure the governments repeated remarks about dirty farangs dont find their way to international newspapers and websites 

• Like 5

surprised that thailand tied with singapore.  i mean really? singapore?  rarely do i see anyone smile there. 

surprised vietnam scored that high.  vietnamese friends would tell me they're not all that friendly unless it's an important guest or business related.  majority of vietnamese i meet are quite neutral or just straight up rude.  the nicest vietnamese are the hard working countryside folks from personal experience.  

philippines i can understand, majority of filipinos i encountered are usually well meaning and smile often, easy going folks. 

if jakarta is taken out, then not surprised on indonesia.  pretty pleasant outside of jakarta. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

I take every poll published on this site/in Thailand with a GIANT grain of salt; if the polling methodology isn't accessible then it is a waste of electrons.

However, I do believe that the Land Of Smiles is smiling a lot less, and I blame Prayut and the Military & Co.

I started visiting Thailand at the start of the '90s or so and fell in love; on every street, in every Soi, with every shopkeeper, with every street-seller, with everyone there was a sense of fun and a sense that literally anything could happen in the next few minutes. Globally, the entire world was watching Thailand as the NEXT BIG THING on the global stage, and everyone thought great things were just over the horizon. It was a glorious time when the Thai people began learning what they wanted and how to express it. 

Then the coup in 2006.

Then again in 2014.

The world isn't watching anymore, except with sadness.

And the life began to get sucked out of Thailand, bit by bit by bit by bit. New laws/regs limiting the wildness, new laws/regs governing and limiting all aspects of life, new laws/regs giving the government the right to snoop, monitor and interfere at will, etc, etc, etc. By the way, before anyone starts whining "Thaksin was worse", let me say the Thai people elected him and his parties, and that is what matters. Moreover, while I didn't (and don't) like the guy, he was a good PM and infinitely better than the current one. Finally, it is apparent that the current lot are trying to re-create the ambiance and 'joie de vivre' of an Army base, except do it nation-wide, and sadly that have accomplished part of their goal.

"Government angry Thailand came last in ‘Land of Smiles’ poll"

Dear Government

If you are angry about coming last in the poll, look in the mirror for the reason why.

Great Post.....totally correct on all counts 👏 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

The problem is most Thai people are selective in their smiles.

Move to a small village and get out of the concrete jungle.  Concrete jungles are the same the world over Europe Uk USA Japan China Australia Joh' Burg.

Stop being assessed on your dollar value as a human being and be recognized on your character and personallity and humanity.

In village life it doesn't take long and their smile becomes one of genuine affection and respect as you get to know everyone.  It is give and take also, no free rides, you accept the village populace warts and all.  

You could write books about life in a Thai village and probaly have material for many soapies.

My second village (for sad reasons) but still missed at my old village and have always been welcome there, wife is Thai,  therefore suspicious ???, but slowly she is starting to see the other village as my friends and part of my life.  Closest I can get is she treats them like in-laws, tolerated, so not all smiles but TIT.

• Like 1

anyone who has lived here for a while knows the truth about the land of smiles, these massive drug busts, husbands bumping off ex wives over jealousy every week, thailand is a land of contrasts, good and bad like any country .. trying to push it as this mega positive place only exists in the five star hotels. . outside its a different kettle of fish

• Like 1

I mean its true, rarely do you get any sort of warm welcome anymore unless they are trying to sell you something.  As soon as you say no thank you, they immediately frown, grimace, or turn around, its plain as day for anyone to see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TiT said:

I mean its true, rarely do you get any sort of warm welcome anymore unless they are trying to sell you something.  As soon as you say no thank you, they immediately frown, grimace, or turn around, its plain as day for anyone to see.

Nah, can't agree with any of that.

Ever ventured outside the tourist areas?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

You people are so miserable...........and you want to talk about other people's smiles???  

And the truth will set you free.

Can't say I am surprised, 25 years ago when I first came to Thailand it truly was a land of smiles that has eroded year on year. Maybe it is co incidence but it seems to corelate to the loss of democracy.

• Like 2

I think it's just a case of you get what you put in to the atmosphere...........

There are so many negative people on this forum that of course that translates to people not returning any happiness back to you, why should or would they?

I also think it's a case of farang wanting to get their asses kissed and feel special, like back when farang were considered an oddity and special and now that they no longer get that treatment, they resent it................They no longer have a place to feel special for once in their life.

I have been coming to Thailand for almost 20 years and I feel there are more smiles now than before because I have changed............I am more laid back, go with the flow and don't let little things bother me

• Like 2

Not sure but the Thai are definitely not that overly happy over the years for what’s been going on for sure. The younger generation fed up with the regime’s BS and what and whom they support, and add Covid and their power iron fisting definitely soured things tons more. As for day to day life for what I experience, still all good, but the happiness has dwindled a noticeable lot. It’s not because of tourists. People on the whole are generally less happy and I would think feel sandwiched being ruled by a bunch of ugly two faced liars. Now the last Bangkok election sort brought some happiness about, so one can look at that and then understand what’s behind the scenes Polarizing national discontent. 

• Like 1

I have been coming to THAILAND since 1968 and it is remarkable to me that the younger Thai people no longer smile or engage with others... it seems to be regressive on a par with the government

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JJJ said:

Another example how this government has no interest to solving solutions based on data.

Rather than admit it’s people are less happy and doing something about it (one of the survey questions relating to a smile on the previous day), the government just blames the survey. No wonder people are less happy. 

Just a note on the article, the survey is based on responses from each country—not tourists. 

The report is based on data gathered in late 2021 and early 2022. The full rankings aren’t included and Thailand isn’t mentioned anywhere as far as I can can see. Your last point about not including tourist data is important. I wouldn’t read too much into a report containing partial data and based on last year’s viewpoints