News Forum - Poll shows nearly 2/3rds of Thais are tired of wearing masks

Thaiger

A new poll shows that Thais are tired of wearing masks and prefer to skip the inconvenience in many instances. The poll was conducted online by the Department of Health Service Support to judge people’s feelings about the relaxed Covid-19 restrictions in Thailand now. A total of 7,507 people responded to the opinion poll that was conducted between June 17 and June 30, with nearly two-thirds of respondents saying that there were certain places that they prefer to no longer wear their masks. When asked about specific places Thai people do not want to mask up, entertainment venues were the […]

The story Poll shows nearly 2/3rds of Thais are tired of wearing masks as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Well, that's good to see. Can't say I see much evidence of this, as the only places in Thailand where a significant portion of Thais don't wear masks is on the islands, such as Koh Tao, Phangan, Samui, Phi Phi and Phuket. In Bangkok, there's a very small though growing minority, especially outdoors, but if you go to a mall, perhaps 1% of Thais will be walking around unmasked, while it's around 20-40% of foreigners. Outdoors, 60-75% of foreigners are unmasked from what I've observed (in downtown Bangkok).

Then again, I think after 30 months of mask wearing, even the most obedient of Thais are starting to question how much longer will the mask wearing continue for? Right now, there is no more mandate so I'm not sure what they're waiting for.

Scared of being stared at? I think that's ridiculous...especially outdoors, no one cares anymore. Even indoors, at least in places like downtown Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket and the islands, it's no big deal anymore either.

• Like 2

I find it hilarious to think that anyone, even a Thai, would wear a mask at an entertainment venue. This is the one setting where even Thais wouldn't want to wear a mask, from the beginning of all this. Yes, there will always be some Branch Covidian sitting down at a table masked, only lowering their mask while sipping their beer then putting it back on, but I think the vast majority of bar goers, Thai as well as foreigners, won't be wearing masks at entertainment venues.

In other words, it's more likely to see a Thai wear a mask to walk down the street alone than at a bar.

• Like 1

Dunno where these 10% who say they don't mask up in shopping centres are. I put it at 1% if that.

It was great to see the masks come off at Soyouwannaboomboom the other day when I flew though. I wore mine till through immigration and that was it. I wasn't alone. By the time we got on the plane it was probably 1/4 still wearing. 

Photo below is from before takeoff. 

IMG_20220715_172038.thumb.jpg.99c4555431c4032c2f67956a8cd53fcc.jpg

And then obviously, by the time we landed in Bahrain, masks are a thing of the past, likewise landing in Saudi. 

It was quite funny to see a group of around 15 Thai women traveling to Saudi keeping their masks on the whole way and then claiming baggage they're the only ones wearing them...

Tables turned...

• Like 4

"and commonness of sharing drinks." 

So, masks can prevent you from getting covid while drinking from someone else's cup? 

I normally put off my mask first but apparently it should be done by pouring the drinks through your mask to avoid having your lips touching the cup. 

• Like 1

When asked about specific places Thai people do not want to mask up, entertainment venues were the top answer.

Can relate to this, you don't want to score and wake up with a beetle nut chewer. (or worse)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

It was quite funny to see a group of around 15 Thai women traveling to Saudi keeping their masks on the whole way and then claiming baggage they're the only ones wearing them...

yea, i have a feeling that they wont go away in Thailand until the Thai's start looking at other countries not wearing them anymore and follow suit.  

• Like 1

This survey is bizarre. Thais don’t wear masks at entertainment venues I’ve been to. How can you when you’re drinking. If I look around where I live there’s 99% of Thais still wearing them including in supermarkets. If they are tired of wearIng them then the answer is simple. 

I would be very interesting to see how tired kids in Thailand are to wear the mask. Nobody never ask their opinion nor seem to care about the damages it has done / is doing to them. No poll about them. Adults have the choice, not the kids: they do what they are told. A few months back, on an island pratically deserted where crowded places do not exist, by a river where I and my partner were the only other humans about, a kid about 10 years old was fishing there alone with a mask on. Now why is that? Was he forced to do so at all time by his parents? Was he literally scared of covid cause his parents told him so? Why did he feel the urge of wearing it with nobody around? The sight of that kid was simply not normal. But nobody seems to care...

6 minutes ago, Manu said:

I would be very interesting to see how tired kids in Thailand are to wear the mask. Nobody never ask their opinion nor seem to care about the damages it has done / is doing to them. No poll about them. Adults have the choice, not the kids: they do what they are told. A few months back, on an island pratically deserted where crowded places do not exist, by a river where I and my partner were the only other humans about, a kid about 10 years old was fishing there alone with a mask on. Now why is that? Was he forced to do so at all time by his parents? Was he literally scared of covid cause his parents told him so? Why did he feel the urge of wearing it with nobody around? The sight of that kid was simply not normal. But nobody seems to care...

I've never seen a Thai kid(any kid really) give one thought about wearing a mask, never seen them fidget around with them

It's the adults that don't like masks acting like they give a shit about kids wearing masks................

99% of all Thai are also tired of wearing a helmet when riding a motorbike. While that might actually save your life when hitting an electricity pole. Facemasks however dont really do much anymore considering that most people have had 3 vaccinations. Yet most Thai insist on wearing them.

Weird country. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Janneman said:

99% of all Thai are also tired of wearing a helmet when riding a motorbike. While that might actually save your life when hitting an electricity pole. Facemasks however dont really do much anymore considering that most people have had 3 vaccinations. Yet most Thai insist on wearing them.

Weird country. 

The mask/helmet comparison is just so childish and has been beaten to death on this forum.............

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The mask/helmet comparison is just so childish and has been beaten to death on this forum.............

I think that you mean "ironic"... the subject isn't "beaten to death" until we stop seeing a family of 5 on a 110cc motorbike with masks but no helmets.

• Like 1

As they should be. 

Thais now have the choice to go about their lives unmasked, they should be making this choice, day by day it will get more normal again.

• Like 1

A somewhat stroppy, seditious & quite rude comment, has been removed.

Keep it civil, please.

11 hours ago, Janneman said:

Weird country. 

Most helmets don’t do anything except restrict vision, impair hearing and provide an arguably false sense of security until you actually need them. The mask wearing is the result of a successful public education campaign designed to save lives. More of the same please - 10 out of 10 brain damaged ex-motorcycle riders would agree if they could.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Let's swap to mask/ seat belt comparison for a while.

We’ve been thru this already in America. Everyone fighting with each other on this subject of “mask wearing”. COVID isn’t going away. Ive come to grips with that along with millions of other people a long time ago. Do what you feel is best for you. Worry about yourself and don’t force your opinions and assumptions on others. Everyone thinks there a scientist or expert or has become one from watching the news 🤨 that cracks me up!! Than there’s the double standard hypocrite that tells people what they should do and does the complete opposite. I have not been sick or caught COVID while everyone around me has. By the way they were all wearing masks when they caught COVID!! People want to live there lives and I’m not going to tell them how they should live it…..

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Janneman said:

. Facemasks however dont really do much anymore considering that most people have had 3 vaccinations. Yet most Thai insist on wearing them.

You can still transmit the Covid virus if you have been vaccinated.  Read much real news in the last 2+ years?

1 hour ago, ExpatPattaya said:

You can still transmit the Covid virus if you have been vaccinated.  Read much real news in the last 2+ years?

Nope I spent most of the last 2+ years on the Azores. Semi tropical islands halfway Portugal and Canada. No Covid there.

But my remark about helmets and masks is not meant to compare the two. And I do know that facemasks prevent the spread of Covid if you are infected. But to me it appears that a lot of people worldwide are using facemasks to prevent them from getting Covid. Which is rather useless since the virus just as easy enters via the eyes.

And perhaps, just perhaps, maybe, now you understand why I am puzzled by a country where people en masse wear facemasks to protect themselves, and at the same time refuse to wear helmets on motorbikes.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Transam said:

Sensible Thais, I would have too....😉

More like brainwashed. Maybe a bit of time in the Holy Land will make them see the light...

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

We’ve been thru this already in America. Everyone fighting with each other on this subject of “mask wearing”. COVID isn’t going away. Ive come to grips with that along with millions of other people a long time ago. Do what you feel is best for you. Worry about yourself and don’t force your opinions and assumptions on others. Everyone thinks there a scientist or expert or has become one from watching the news 🤨 that cracks me up!! Than there’s the double standard hypocrite that tells people what they should do and does the complete opposite. I have not been sick or caught COVID while everyone around me has. By the way they were all wearing masks when they caught COVID!! People want to live there lives and I’m not going to tell them how they should live it…..

There literally are 1000's of posts over longer than a year with anit-maskers freaking about a country that is not theirs wearing masks................

• Like 1

Anyone with any actual knowledge of polling, specifically sampling, realizes that this poll's results are meanningless because the sample, those that replied, are not representative of the Thai population.  The Thaiger should really check its sources before reporting because spreading this nonsense is not 'news' and could well be dangerous.

WP Kittredge PhD