News Forum - Bangkok to open 500 more field hospitals after Covid-19 spike

Thaiger

Bangkok Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said more field hospitals and isolation centres would be reopened to curb the recent spike in Omicron sub-variants BA.4 and BA.5 if it is necessary. The 56 year old told media today that the Omicron sub-variants BA.4 and BA.5 have increased recently since the relaxation of mask-wearing raising the number of Covid-19 infected patients in Bangkok. The governor insisted that hospital beds in Bangkok are still available for patients and that the beds in Bangkok field hospitals are only 20% full. Bangkok has earmarked more field hospitals in the Nong Chok district and will open isolation […]

The story Bangkok to open 500 more field hospitals after Covid-19 spike as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What spike are they referring to? A few hundred extra cases a day, daily deaths almost the same, and nothing but alarm and panic? Will they ever let this thing go? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmacarelli said:

What spike are they referring to? A few hundred extra cases a day, daily deaths almost the same, and nothing but alarm and panic? Will they ever let this thing go? 

a couple thousand new hospitalizations a day.  They aren't usually reporting new positives, but the last I saw it was in the 10s of thousands.  That said, the critical cases and deaths have really dropped.

1 hour ago, dmacarelli said:

This news does not in itself involve renewed restrictions so why worry to comment so?  Is it not likely that many Private Hospitals are  likely to support  field hospitals rather than compromise the resumption of general services within their own premises?

Deaths 114 today but reported cases less than 2,000. 

This Govt really knows how to make itself look bad. 

500 field hospitals when less than 2000 cases.

PNUT wake up your smoke and mirrors to get Endemic status is blown big time you cannot deny reality and hope it goes away.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, palooka said:

Deaths 114 today but reported cases less than 2,000. 

This Govt really knows how to make itself look bad. 

500 field hospitals when less than 2000 cases.

PNUT wake up your smoke and mirrors to get Endemic status is blown big time you cannot deny reality and hope it goes away.

Apologise read the figures of another country for deaths.  

Mind if real figures were published I wouldn't have to.

Aaand we're back!

Dr. Bill Murray will see your masked up groundhog in just a moment...

Edited by Venusianhart
  • Haha 2

Is it case of knee jerk reaction, over cautioness or an attempt by the government to keep control of the public until after the elections? I know, I'm very synical.

In any event, it's not a good look as we move toward high season. 

• Like 1

At some point ( which should be now) the government and media has to stop treating covid as a crisis and just like another disease. 

That will be the point at which normal life resumes and things will get a lot better.

10 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

Is it case of knee jerk reaction, over cautioness or an attempt by the government to keep control of the public until after the elections? I know, I'm very synical.

Perhaps it is what happens when the govt committed to declaring Covid endemic, fudged the figures but now reality tells a different story. 

14 hours ago, KhunG said:

a couple thousand new hospitalizations a day.  They aren't usually reporting new positives, but the last I saw it was in the 10s of thousands.  That said, the critical cases and deaths have really dropped.

In a normal year, 1.3 million Thai people will die. Many will need hospitalization. 

So, how many are dying of Covid, and how many are dying of a dozen other causes? The entire narrative has gotten so jumbled. 

• Like 3

They're never going to let this go are they? At least the government has had the common sense to ONLY report hospitalizations and deaths, although it is doubtful whether all of these "cases" are entirely related to what they're calling Covid or not, but at least the numbers are predictable.

To go backwards by including all false positives and antigen test numbers would only serve as a justification for extending the emergency decree indefinitely and bringing back other restrictions.

It's sad that so few Thais seem to have any idea how they're being used by the government. It's even sadder that a majority of locals appear not to want to go back to normal.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fanta said:

Perhaps it is what happens when the govt committed to declaring Covid endemic, fudged the figures but now reality tells a different story. 

I don't know what you're suggesting, but Covid isn't what it is claimed to be. "Asymptomatic" infections are unproven. It's all about creating fear.

Many countries don't include them in their official count, ranging from neighboring Cambodia (which stopped counting them back in October 2021) to China, which counts them separately, but doesn't include them in the figures they release to global health authorities, hence why they've only registered a paltry 225,000 "cases" since January 2020, a figure lower than Vietnam registered in a single day, about 4 or 5 months ago. Or the USA in 1/5 of a day, around the same time.

1700-2300 daily hospitalizations (although I question how many of these are even necessary) and 15-25 deaths is well within the capacity of the health system to cope with.

Covid became endemic a long time ago, but the doctors who's grant money is running out and are looking like they will increasingly become irrelevant, need something to justify their research beyond the present, hence are looking at every possibility to drag this out as long as possible. This explains their alarmism and fear mongering.

The only comforting sign is that the government, so far, has not allowed itself to be bullied into adding more restrictions, which would only impede the fragile economic recovery. Any further restrictions and the country will become bankrupt and be unable to ever recover.

Fortunately, doctors don't run this country and I hope they never will, otherwise, what China is undergoing will look like a walk in the park by comparison. I mean, Chinese people aren't expected to wear masks outside of outbreak zones and public transit...look at Thailand, where masks are worn by some even at home, with no end in sight!

Edited by Highlandman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, BIGGLES said:

They probably expect tourists will be flocking to Thailand when at the end of the year, they might have reimposed some form of quarantine and mandatory mask wearing. Not saying this will happen, but nothing would surprise me any more.

46 minutes ago, Highlandman said:

I don't know what you're suggesting, but Covid isn't what it is claimed to be. "Asymptomatic" infections are unproven. It's all about creating fear

I am suggesting that the government is deliberately under reporting the number of Covid cases so they can declare Covid endemic so as to reopen the country and encourage economic growth. My brother felt very unwell when he initially caught Covid and has been tiring easily since his recovery 2 months ago. He is no whiner, is double vaxxed with boosters and if he says it is a serious illness that knocks you around then that is good enough for me.