News Forum - VIDEO: Bangkok taxi driver pulls out knife on Singaporean tourists

Thaiger

Video evidence reveals a Bangkok taxi driver pulling a knife out from the pocket of the driver’s seat door to intimidate 2 Singaporean tourists, who had accused him of not giving them enough change. Although Bangkok taxis are supposed to be metered, the tourists said they had agreed a price of 400 baht for their journey to Suvarnabhumi airport. However, once they arrived at the airport the taxi driver gave them only 25 baht in change from a 500 baht note. “What about the other 75 baht?” asked the tourists. “Highway, highway, highway,” replied the driver. “No highway!” insisted the […]

The story VIDEO: Bangkok taxi driver pulls out knife on Singaporean tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It is always good to take public transport as there is a straight line to the airport from the city. Just go to the nearest station and hop on the train....simple as that

16 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

It is always good to take public transport as there is a straight line to the airport from the city. Just go to the nearest station and hop on the train....simple as that

Yes, if you don't have luggage. But with luggage it is not so easy.

• Like 3

Just don't get in unless they agree to use meter. And give them the toll fee as you go through each toll.  I've turned away 4 or five taxis before I've found someone that will use the meter.. you don't have to wait long

• Like 3

Possibly a misunderstanding regarding tolls, if memory serves correct they are about 75 baht, but the driver should have said they pay tolls.

• Like 3

A taxi driver pulling a knife on customers to settle a disagreement. I don’t know what is worse. The taxi driver or the cops that let him go. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Fanta said:

A taxi driver pulling a knife on customers to settle a disagreement. I don’t know what is worse. The taxi driver or the cops that let him go. 

Exactly

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alavan said:

Yes, if you don't have luggage. But with luggage it is not so easy.

What's so hard about taking the BTS with luggage?

• Like 1

Personnaly, even with luggages, i find the BTS airport link a great and cheap way from or to the Airport.

Anyway what is 75 bahts ? only two euros, i would happily have given that as a tip.

Some people are really stingy, it is not an easy job to be a taxi in Bangkok.. And i don't even blame the driver having a machete, with all the weirdoos he must encounter on his job

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saunk said:

Absolutely not for me

I'm not flying around the world to save $7-8, just take a taxi

But I believe you need to transfer, that’s the negative 

If one train all the way in, I still wouldn't do it but would be a lot better 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Absolutely not for me

I'm not flying around the world to save $7-8, just take a taxi

But I believe you need to transfer, that’s the negative 

If one train all the way in, I still wouldn't do it but would be a lot better 

The trick is to cab it to the airport. Arrive fresh and cool.  

Coming in, get yourself a cold beer from the basement sewen, skull it before you leave the premises, then hop on the train nicely buzzed by booze and jet lag, and enjoy the local girl riders from behind your shades. Get off at Makkasan the the BTS or MRT or Grab car or Cabs are right there! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Video evidence reveals a Bangkok taxi driver pulling a knife out from the pocket of the driver’s seat door to intimidate 2 Singaporean tourists, who had accused him of not giving them enough change. Although Bangkok taxis are supposed to be metered, the tourists said they had agreed a price of 400 baht for their journey to Suvarnabhumi airport. However, once they arrived at the airport the taxi driver gave them only 25 baht in change from a 500 baht note. “What about the other 75 baht?” asked the tourists. “Highway, highway, highway,” replied the driver. “No highway!” insisted the […]

The story VIDEO: Bangkok taxi driver pulls out knife on Singaporean tourists as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The driver shouldn't have pulled a knife, but called the many cops that patrol the airport kerb. 

He was right, there are tolls. But of course, language is the problem, and the whole thing about hiding "bad" news (the toll extras). Or just being a bit of a dick. However B400 is the norm and Grab charged similar before they were banned from Thai Airports. 

Also Singapore cabs have ALL the major rules of carriage printed in 4 languages on the back of the seat etc. 

And if Thailand want to be more tourist friendly, they should do the same! Better still, just make a decent Cab hailing app. It's a pity Grab are banned from airports. They're a pleasure to deal with in most cases. 

Edited by Venusianhart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Venusianhart said:

The driver shouldn't have pulled a knife, but called the many cops that patrol the airport kerb. 

He was right, there are tolls. But of course, language is the problem, and the whole thing about hiding "bad" news (the toll extras). Or just being a bit of a dick. However B400 is the norm and Grab charged similar before they were banned from Thai Airports. 

Also Singapore cabs have ALL the major rules of carriage printed in 4 languages on the back of the seat etc. 

And if Thailand want to be more tourist friendly, they should do the same! Better still, just make a decent Cab hailing app. It's a pity Grab are banned from airports. They're a pleasure to deal with in most cases. 

Grab isn't banned from dropping off

I took it in June

700 baht but was super early in the morning and my hotel was way up the soi so no taxis driving by

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Venusianhart said:

Better still, just make a decent Cab hailing app. It's a pity Grab are banned from airports. They're a pleasure to deal with in most cases. 

First I heard that Grab was banned.  Myself and my wife take Grab to the airport a few times a year, as it is hard to find a taxi near our condo, but easy with the Grab app.

• Like 2

Of course in most countries just having a knife like that available in your vehicle would be instant jail time. Not in Thailand it seems (unless maybe of course you are not Thai).

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:38 PM, Saunk said:

I only have 2 arms and hands. How many do you have?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:57 PM, Ramanathan.P said:

Makes sense if you can't afford a few dollars for the taxi or have a lot of luggage.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:38 PM, Saunk said:

I had the gates close on my nuts once while trying to get through with a suitcase.   Not hard for a long time after that.

Luckily, the traffic police stood nearby and helped to deescalate the incident. After almost five minutes of back and forth, the driver gave the tourists their change back.

And the taxi driver drove off and took the next passenger, right?  Why is he still on the road and allowed, to drive people for money?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ChrisS said:

Of course in most countries just having a knife like that available in your vehicle would be instant jail time. Not in Thailand it seems (unless maybe of course you are not Thai).

You should assume most Thai males are armed with a knife of some sort and act accordingly.

• Like 1