UK weather: Schools to send pupils home early as temperatures soar

Bluesofa

Schools are to send pupils home early during the heatwave as the Met Office warned of “exceptionally” hot weather next week.

Children could also be kept at home and barred from playing outside as schools said they were struggling to concentrate in the heat.

Parents of children at three primary schools in Herefordshire have been told pupils will “not be allowed outside to play” and PE lessons will not take place.

“We are also giving parents the option to keep children at home on Monday,” said a letter to parents at Marlbrook, Little Dewchurch and St Martin’s Primary School.

Read the whole article: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/uk-weather-schools-to-send-pupils-home-early-as-temperatures-soar/ar-AAZA5up 

Going back back to the summer of 76 in the UK, the temperature reached 35 for weeks.

Not a mention about schools at all: 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4092496/uk-summer-heatwave-1976/ 
(I couldn't find a newspaper link, so had to use The Sun)

The poor snowflakes today just can't cope, they'll melt in the heat.
Back in the winter of '63 when it was really cold, we still went to school, nothing about 'stay at home, it's too hot/ too cold'.
Kids today don't know they're born....Pah!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I did a Masters Degree in the UK 25 years ago.

One day, in the summer as I was writing my dissertation, a Brit friend burst into my room and shouted...

"The sun has come out; we're having a barbeque! Hurry! Quick! Quick! We only have an hour!"

😎

• Haha 4

Just now, Shade_Wilder said:

I did a Masters Degree in the UK 25 years ago.

One day, in the summer as I was writing my dissertation, a Brit friend burst into my room and shouted...

"The sun has come out; we're having a barbeque! Hurry! Quick! Quick! We only have an hour!"

😎

Barbecues in the UK?

Waste of time, because it always starts to rain once the charcoal is eventually lit.

Spoke with my sister last night, she was bleating about it being 27°C.

Soft, she is.😅

• Haha 3

The British Army had a regulation that on the 1st of May you will dispense your wooly jumper and from then on you will go shirt sleeve order......no matter how cold it is. And that could include doing the 10 mile bash, carrying kit and personal firearms. You had two hours to complete the hike/run including doing the 12ft wall on the assault course, firing 5 rounds into a civilian of your choice then carrying him 100 yards in a fireman's carry.

• Like 2