News Forum - Tourism ‘insurance’ fee will cover ALL foreigners entering Thailand

Thaiger

3 hours ago, Viggen840 said:

You think the election is going to make a difference? The Junta will still manage to have control and bounce from crisis to crisis

One can only hope 

Oh well, most if not all tourists will have their own travel insurance. So this 300 baht fee/insurance is rather useless.

The good thing, it will be incorporated in the ticket price. 25 years ago there was an entry fee in Vietnam, 9 dollars cash I think. Or 13. Guess? They never had change if you wanted to pay with a 10 or 20 dollar note...

9 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

They're getting there slowly although how does an airline differentiate fare pricing for my Thai wife at the booking/payment stage?   Is there already an algorithm in the Airline booking systems to join the dots to a Thai passport?

I am pretty sure that passengers’ nationality is entered during the ticket booking process so it should be straightforward 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, strbl said:

Does not cover hospital expenses or medical fees so does nothing to cover unpaid medical costs. There will be very little payouts under such a structure. Another money grab with little benefits. 

We’ll have to see the details before making a conclusion but it seems better than keeping the $10k insurance coverage requirement

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Suave said:

I wonder what kicks in first, the Thai insurance or the insurance you buy on your own? I can just see the two fighting over who has to pay.

Good luck getting anything out of either.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pinetree said:

It's 300 Baht people, so US$8, or 7 Pounds Sterling, so the price of a middling bottle of wine, or one beer in London, or two latte in Starbucks. If you are getting all bent out of shape about that small amount, or using it as a reason not to come to LOS, its probably best that you don't fly at all. 

There is not a single sane person on this planet that would change their travel plans due to a paltry 300 baht charge regardless of what it’s for. 

It is simply click bait for the haters. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Benroon said:

There is not a single sane person on this planet that would change their travel plans due to a paltry 300 baht charge regardless of what it’s for. 

It is simply click bait for the haters. 

Yes how many people check the airport service charges for their potential destinations before buying a ticket? None! Ticket prices include all kinds of charges. I only ever look at the total ticket price.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, JJJ said:

Accident injury coverage for 30 days should cost no where near 300 baht. They’ve solved a problem that doesn’t exist with a new bureaucracy. Typical government  

Tell me where you can buy any kind of accident cover for 10 Baht per day

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

Not here in Thailand, according to this:

12 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Health, hospital or Covid expenses won’t be covered under the new compulsory arrival tourism fee (so passengers will still be advised to get general travel or health insurance to cover those eventualities).

The insurance coverage will up to a value of 500,000 baht, covering accidents, riots, terrorism, natural disaster or “other incidents.” There would be a 1 million baht payout in the event of death and cremation or funeral expenses up to 150,000 baht. 

But they don't expect, that it will generate enough money for :

Health, hospital or Covid expenses won’t be covered under the new compulsory arrival tourism fee (so passengers will still be advised to get general travel or health insurance to cover those eventualities).

Not really clear, if health/hospital expenses are covered, in case of an accident, huu?

Or probably only covering costs on UCP-levels?

They may make a fortune with this insurance. Foreigners think that they are covered, but ....!

15 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Not here in Thailand, according to this:

But it said “The insurance coverage will up to a value of 500,000 baht, covering accidents, riots, terrorism, natural disaster or “other incidents”. We’ll have to wait until the details are available to see what it means

26 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

A lot of accident travel insurances , single trip, are doing that for about 30 Baht/day/6weeks up to 4 month

If you get them as year/multi trip package, every trip in that year up to 30ish days, you get it even for about 300 Baht/month, equals 10 baht.

You may just have to look into it yourself. Most insurances want your data for a quote!

6 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

But it said “The insurance coverage will up to a value of 500,000 baht, covering accidents, riots, terrorism, natural disaster or “other incidents”. We’ll have to wait until the details are available to see what it means

To use a native Indian phrase, it seems 'government speak with forked tongue'

It cost me 4000 Baht for a 30 day insurance policy to get my TP approved in order to get back into Thailand in January 2022 after a Christmas trip to uk so whatever happens my trip this year will be 3700 Baht cheaper. I am going to call that a “win”😁

18 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

To use a native Indian phrase, it seems 'government speak with forked tongue'

You will have to wait until the details are available when it is gazetted before coming to any conclusions. Do native Indians come from India? 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

A lot of accident travel insurances , single trip, are doing that for about 30 Baht/day/6weeks up to 4 month

If you get them as year/multi trip package, every trip in that year up to 30ish days, you get it even for about 300 Baht/month, equals 10 baht.

You may just have to look into it yourself. Most insurances want your data for a quote!

So you have to get a multi trip year long package to get down to 10 Baht per day. I was just thinking about the 4000 Baht I paid for 30 days insurance in January 

17 minutes ago, Stevejm said:

So you have to get a multi trip year long package to get down to 10 Baht per day. I was just thinking about the 4000 Baht I paid for 30 days insurance in January 

I can tell you, a friend of mine has a multi trip package. For "ages" already, 'cause he did travel in pre covid times a lot.

Just under 10 Euros/month. But from same insurer,  he could have gotten a 6 week insurance for about 30 Euros.

And they got him the "covid is covered up to...."  confirmation. For a trip over new year.

That you paid 4000 Baht, how is that the fault of anyone else?

Did the embassy told you, you need the 4000 baht package for the Thailand pass?

Since that "story" was covered all over the web, that it is NOT needed to get the insurance, embassies linked on there webpage, or any of the Thai  insurances:  From where I am standing it seems, you did not inform yourself. 

Just out of curiosity: Did the 3k more affect your holiday badly?  

54 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

I can tell you, a friend of mine has a multi trip package. For "ages" already, 'cause he did travel in pre covid times a lot.

Just under 10 Euros/month. But from same insurer,  he could have gotten a 6 week insurance for about 30 Euros.

And they got him the "covid is covered up to...."  confirmation. For a trip over new year.

That you paid 4000 Baht, how is that the fault of anyone else?

Did the embassy told you, you need the 4000 baht package for the Thailand pass?

Since that "story" was covered all over the web, that it is NOT needed to get the insurance, embassies linked on there webpage, or any of the Thai  insurances:  From where I am standing it seems, you did not inform yourself. 

Just out of curiosity: Did the 3k more affect your holiday badly?  

I don’t doubt anything that you say. I was not on holiday. I have lived here more than 20 years. I had to buy a minimal 1 month insurance cover that met TP requirements ( $50k cover) in order to get back into the country even though my visa doesn’t require me to have insurance. I am not complaining about having to pay that as I was just happy to get home for the first time in 2 years and I am not an idiot I checked many companies for quotes both Thai and UK based before purchasing . I was merely curious as to how anyone could buy insurance for 30 Baht per day so you have answered my question thanks😄

I don't have a problem with paying 300 Baht but when I visit in October for 42 days what happens after 30 days cover?

My personal travel insurance costs me nothing as a 'sweetener' from my bank and covers me for 100,000 GBP for Covid cover in addition to the usual cover.

• Like 1

Get ready for the $h*tshow should you get sick and try to get it processed at the hospital.....also waiting for the extra fees scams

9 minutes ago, Havana said:

I don't have a problem with paying 300 Baht but when I visit in October for 42 days what happens after 30 days cover?

My personal travel insurance costs me nothing as a 'sweetener' from my bank and covers me for 100,000 GBP for Covid cover in addition to the usual cover.

You will be covered by your own insurance then. Nothing to worry about. Under Thailand Pass your period of cover had to match your length of stay but as I understand it the 300 Baht will be levied on each arrival and after 30 days it’s up to you. Confirmation will come when the new law is gazetted but as I understand it based on current information you have nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Get ready for the $h*tshow should you get sick and try to get it processed at the hospital.....also waiting for the extra fees scams

I would suggest that the only people that will get a benefit from this are the people that get treated in a hospital and do a runner on the bill. The 300 Baht levy was mentioned ages ago as a tourist tax ( I think) and has now been rebranded as a medical cover fee🤔

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pinetree said:

It's 300 Baht people, so US$8, or 7 Pounds Sterling, so the price of a middling bottle of wine, or one beer in London, or two latte in Starbucks. If you are getting all bent out of shape about that small amount, or using it as a reason not to come to LOS, its probably best that you don't fly at all. 

It's not the amount it's the principle... ask yourself when will enough be enough... and at what point is Thai face lost in the translation?

"ALL foreigners, including expats, work permit or long-term visa holders, and diplomats will be required to pay the 300 fee. The ministerial spokesperson said that, as they were going to collect the fee for air travellers via their airfare, there was no way the systems could easily differentiate between one type of visa or another."

So... Why not try to figure out a way? Noooo....ofc not, because then they wouldn't make as much money out of it. They are not even trying. 

What they also could do is just wait with this fee unless they have figured it out. 

How many feet do they have to shoot in. 

17 hours ago, Pinetree said:

The only whinge is the principle of paying for something that does nothing. If they want to call ot an 'entry tax' or whatever, fine. Saying it is 'insurance' that doesn't appear to covet anything is crap.