News Forum - Thailand moves into top 10 of best countries to live for expat

Thaiger

A new survey has seen Thailand climb into the top 10 best countries to live for expats. A survey by InterNations, in the Expat Insider 2022, revealed Thailand has climbed six places to No.8 in the top 10 countries to live for foreigners from last year’s 14th place. But it’s not all good news for the ‘farang’ community in the Land of Smiles. Thailand ranked low in administration and performed poorly in the working abroad category. Berlin-based InterNations, which has an expat community of more than 4 million members, surveyed foreigner life in 52 destinations and gathered answers from about […]

The story Thailand moves into top 10 of best countries to live for expat as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is a rare “top 10” list with transparent criteria. The source data can be found here:

https://www.internations.org/expat-insider/2022/best-and-worst-places-for-expats-40242

Useful data because the expats themselves are rating their own experiences rather than evaluating countries they might not have a full picture of. 

The resident expats in Mexico must be a happy bunch. 😂🎉🍹

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BigHewer said:

This is a rare “top 10” list with transparent criteria. The source data can be found here:

https://www.internations.org/expat-insider/2022/best-and-worst-places-for-expats-40242

Useful data because the expats themselves are rating their own experiences rather than evaluating countries they might not have a full picture of. 

The resident expats in Mexico must be a happy bunch. 😂🎉🍹

I love Mexico but to rate it #1 with so much violence is a bit ridiculous

We were there last summer...........shootings in the most popular restaurant in the most popular city in Mexico

I want to retire in Thailand and slow travel throughout the region.

I have given myself five years to prepare, any information that may assist will be received with gratitude.

• Cool 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I love Mexico but to rate it #1 with so much violence is a bit ridiculous

We were there last summer...........shootings in the most popular restaurant in the most popular city in Mexico

My first thought at seeing Mexico at #1 was crime and safety. I guess the expats living there who did the survey aren’t too bothered by it.

Japan down at #47 which is a bit harsh, but not surprising considering the number of whiners who live here. 

Indonesia at #2 and Thailand at #8 look good to me. 

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

My first thought at seeing Mexico at #1 was crime and safety. I guess the expats living there who did the survey aren’t too bothered by it.

Japan down at #47 which is a bit harsh, but not surprising considering the number of whiners who live here. 

Indonesia at #2 and Thailand at #8 look good to me. 

You would obviously know way more than me

But just having visited Tokyo twice it seems like it would he hard to integrate with the locals as an expat

But then, out of all the Asians here in Vancouver, the Japanese seem the most open to socializing with different people than Japanese 

So maybe it is not so hard in Japan?

3 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You would obviously know way more than me

But just having visited Tokyo twice it seems like it would he hard to integrate with the locals as an expat

But then, out of all the Asians here in Vancouver, the Japanese seem the most open to socializing with different people than Japanese 

So maybe it is not so hard in Japan?

You’re right in regards to integrating with the locals. I find there’s a lot regional variation in Japan, too. I’ve done stints around the country and the locals are generally more open to interaction in the south and west. 

There are always exceptions of course, but it generally holds true.