Humanity's New Understanding of the Cosmos

Shade_Wilder

18 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

I cannot even begin to imagine the level of despondency and desperation that must be accompanied by the thought that we are all alone. 

Are we really the best the universe has to offer? Very unimpressive. 

I would put everything I have in the bank on there not being any other forms of life out there even remotely comparable to ours. We have got where we are through evolution and millions of flukes and coincidences. The chances of that happening somewhere else, in my mind is well below zero (sadly)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2022 at 8:01 AM, oldschooler said:

If alone then our fate is under our exclusive control. Would be more despondent to be under awareness of say a 100,000 year old galactic civilization that would judge us a threat & obliterate us … like we did to smallpox….although they could just EMP us back to Early Industrial Age or DeNuclearize Humanity ….we are I think going to genocide / extinction ourselves anyway sometime this century.😎

Why deos humanity always assume alien life would be a threat? I think that is pure cinema drivel. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

Why deos humanity always assume alien life would be a threat? I think that is pure cinema drivel. 

WE are the threat ….to ourselves & others …such galactic civilizations would see that … and have a decision to make …. best we don’t get in that position 😎

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2022 at 9:01 AM, oldschooler said:

One  “ estimate” under some arbitrary but commonly accepted scheme ( Drake Equation) had the number of existing civilizations in our galaxy as 36. there just  can’t be “millions” when you consider the thousands of “filters” that have to be passed  in each case.

Again I’m utterly uninterested what life might exist beyond our galaxy as we’ll never see it ; especially as I’m equally fairly well convinced that no advanced life but ours exists anywhere. 😎😩

There are something like 200 billion suns just in our own Galaxy.  Probably many millions of planets in the goldilocks zone.  I would say that 36 civilizations with intelligent life in our own galaxy is very realistic as a bare minimum.  Probably many more with some sort of plant/animal life.

Edited by samiam123
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 2:24 AM, Benroon said:

I would put everything I have in the bank on there not being any other forms of life out there even remotely comparable to ours. We have got where we are through evolution and millions of flukes and coincidences. The chances of that happening somewhere else, in my mind is well below zero (sadly)

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time.

Edited by samiam123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/26/2022 at 12:44 AM, samiam123 said:

This is probably the most ridiculous thing I have read in a long time.

Cool - can you give us a few addresses on other planets where our missing cousins are currently residing ? 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 4:13 PM, dmacarelli said:

As that's how we are instinctively. We view anything different or odd as a threat. Hard wired....

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:24 PM, Benroon said:

Cool - can you give us a few addresses on other planets where our missing cousins are currently residing ? 

Can you give us the winning numbers of the lottery?  I don't know the numbers but I know someone will win.  How do I know that?  By exercise a tiny bit of critical thinking skills.

I don't think you possess the cognitive ability to understand the improbabilities of making contact over galactic measurements of space-time, so it's not worthy of a direct response. 

Edited by samiam123