News Forum - Poll: 92% don’t earn more than their expenses; oil price main factor

Thaiger

On 7/12/2022 at 3:32 AM, astro said:

"3rd world" is an inaccurate, outdated, derogatory term.

Thailand has been a N.I.C. (Newly Industrialised Country) for more than 20 years.

Well, since I don't do PC that does not matter to me. Developing nation? Is that what you prefer? 

On 7/12/2022 at 2:01 AM, Marc26 said:

How much have you travelled?

As KR pointed out, Thailand is way more developed than most of it's neighbors

It's more developed than 80% of Latin America

Only 50 countries or so. Spent alot of time in Latin America and it feels alot more advanced than Thailand. Especially in regard to rail networks, helicopter travel, yachting, a more reasonable  duty on fine wine, and many other conveniences the affluent travelers (they so desperately seem to want to attract) are looking for. 

Edited by dmacarelli

On 7/11/2022 at 10:41 PM, Prosaap said:

Well i sorry its not PC but its not wrong also 

"not PC"?

Why not use an accurate term rather than an innacurate, derogatory one - unless you intend to make a derogatory remark.

Oh, now I understand. 😜

9 hours ago, dmacarelli said:

Only 50 countries or so. Spent alot of time in Latin America and it feels alot more advanced than Thailand. Especially in regard to rail networks, helicopter travel, yachting, a more reasonable  duty on fine wine, and many other conveniences the affluent travelers (they so desperately seem to want to attract) are looking for. 

I don't know where you spent time in Latin America but most places I went to were far less developed than Thailand

All of Central America is less developed

Some parts of South America are on par with Thailand or even a bit more advanced, like Argentina and some parts of Colombia and Chile

18 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

And the majority do live hand to mouth.

Subsistence farming. You live off of what you grow with the excess allowing you some level of comfort. Usually the excess doesn't generate lot of extra income, but most get by ok. If the government has a decent program of healthcare, and services, it's not a bad life. Not a great one, but not bad either. What it is is a tough life. You see it throughout the developing world. It isn't poverty, but you can see poverty from there. 

The problem is many developed countries don't have this classification anymore. They see rural areas when they start traveling and immediately think poverty. It's their only frame of reference. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Subsistence farming. You live off of what you grow with the excess allowing you some level of comfort. Usually the excess doesn't generate lot of extra income, but most get by ok. If the government has a decent program of healthcare, and services, it's not a bad life. Not a great one, but not bad either. What it is is a tough life. You see it throughout the developing world. It isn't poverty, but you can see poverty from there. 

The problem is many developed countries don't have this classification anymore. They see rural areas when they start traveling and immediately think poverty. It's their only frame of reference. 

I only know 2 villages well and not many of the people in the village actually farm

But again, that is just the 2 villages I am connected to