News Forum - Court bans rap song for being a threat to Thailand’s national security

Thaiger

A rap song has been banned by the Court for being seditious and a threat to Thailand’s national security. The song, Patiroob (meaning reform), by Rap Against Dictatorship, was blocked on the YouTube platform as a result of a Ministry of Digital Economy and Society petition to the Court that it should be prohibited under the terms of the Computer Crime Act. The Court agreed that the song’s lyrics, which allude to the Thai king and prime minister, are a threat to national security.  The Court also ruled that the song was filled with obscene language. The music video drew unfavourable comments […]

The story Court bans rap song for being a threat to Thailand’s national security as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

The last sentence of the article doesn't make any sense, so I read the source article, which does make sense. At any rate, this news will just draw more attention to the band and their music.  Maybe this is a Thai example of the "Streisand Effect".

• Like 2

This song is view as criticism of the ruling regime, and they don’t like any criticism as this criticism hits too close to the truth. 

"The song criticises the government for prosecuting and using force against the pro-democracy protesters, condemns misuse of public revenue for personal pleasure, underlines the illegality of a government formed through a coup, and argues that taxpayer voices must be heard rather than be spent on polygamy"

If this is to be condemned then I expect tens of millions of Thailand residents must be prosecuted as well. Is it really a crime to support democracy, or the  responsible management of public funds ? Seems to me these rappers are more like middle aged suburbanites because their views reflects a conservative viewpoint.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

If this is to be condemned then I expect tens of millions of Thailand residents must be prosecuted as well.

Do they have their thoughts published on radio and youtube?

Edited by astro

Rap (so called music), has its roots in violence. I'd ban it worldwide. The worst load of rubbish I've ever heard. How they call it music, when none of these rappers, I believe that's what there referred as, all they can do is talk in riddles. They wouldn't know how to spell the word sing, let alone do it. I hope South East Asian countries stick with their cultures and don't adopt trashy Western ways 

5 hours ago, Bobbyj said:

Rap (so called music), has its roots in violence. I'd ban it worldwide. The worst load of rubbish I've ever heard. How they call it music, when none of these rappers, I believe that's what there referred as, all they can do is talk in riddles. They wouldn't know how to spell the word sing, let alone do it. I hope South East Asian countries stick with their cultures and don't adopt trashy Western ways 

I do have some agreement with that opinion!

I don’t know of it was popular before the ban—but surely made it more popular and shows how thin skinned the government is. 

I hate rap music anyway, so good move government.  Ban it all for me, its just an irritating noise made by people who can't sing. It will eventually disappear, as did that other noise, Punk  

18 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A rap song has been banned by the Court for being seditious and a threat to Thailand’s national security.

The perfect promotion.

7 hours ago, Bobbyj said:

Rap (so called music), has its roots in violence. I'd ban it worldwide. The worst load of rubbish I've ever heard.

I hope South East Asian countries stick with their cultures and don't adopt trashy Western ways 

Look I don't listen to rap at all but don't hate on something just because it's not your taste.

"Roots in violence", "Trashy Western" It could be argued it originally came from Africa and storytelling. Are you saying only like Thai music? You never have a burger and fries? Come on. We all like a bit of trashy western comfort now and again.

"So called music" but RAP stands for rhythm and poetry which, whether you like it or not, is what it is, a beat and a spoken rhyme.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Outsider said:

The "Court" ? Is there only one?

I think a more appropriate spelling would be 'caught':
"Caught for being seditious and a threat to Thailand’s national security"