News Forum - Foreigners may have to pay more for hotels than Thais

Thaiger

On 7/8/2022 at 9:21 PM, DiJoDavO said:

What's needed for it then? Last time I checked, there were 2 things for which you need to be able to speak Thai because there would either be a test in Thai, need to know the national anthem and have a conversation in Thai. Wasn't this one of them then? 

Whenever you are able to get a Thai ID card, you should pay tax here too, because you live here a long time. I live here and I pay tax here. Whoever doesn't, may not complain about double pricing. 

So, a retiree who derives all his income overseas, should be liable for paying income taxes here? What is your legal moral argument for that? 

Edited by dmacarelli

On 7/7/2022 at 1:06 PM, Giltee said:

I showed my Thai ID card at a national park to an army dressed woman recently and was told unless I had a Thai passport I had to pay tourist prices. It was 40 baht for my wife, 300 for me and 30 for my car. As a matter of principle I told her to stick it and left. 

Likely driving a car worth > million baht, Paid 200 baht per gallon fuel, and you think 300 baht is too much....

What a waste of gasoline, time, and fossil fuel burning just to turn around and miss out on a national park for a "matter of principle" 

Try fishing, it is free to fish with a rod and reel in Thailand, in Alaska USA it costs 600 baht for resident and 3000 baht if a non-resident of Alaska!  Some would say , "Hey, I am a citizen of the USA, why do I have to pay 5 times more?"  5555 

On 7/6/2022 at 9:20 PM, DoUKnowWhoIAm said:

When business is going bad, Thais increases the prices.... people keep saying don't believe this old cliche🤔

It's not just Thailand that does this.  You see a similar mindset in Vietnam and the Philippines, so it seems to be an asian thing.

Edited by samiam123

On 7/8/2022 at 4:36 PM, HolyCowCm said:

We (Men) the well established foreign folk here should have a better status easy for  fair shake. They should not keep us like tis as we are proven.Well at least I have a long history here, that is like many others. I have been here decades and have a few kids. Visa been the same for well about 16 years now back to back and only living in CM with my family. Actually more but  that is only this visa. With the other 2 entries alone is shows back to back stay for 23 solid, then before that was the other good ones on record doing runs and stuff becasue hustle and under 50 with out kids tacks on another 6 plus years with a different Thai wife, then before that several jumping and change visas. 

But you aren't anything but a visitor, per your visa, doesn't matter how long you lived there

You could have applied to be a permanent resident but you chose to keep your status as a visitor............

My wife is just a visitor in Canada at the moment and she doesn't have the same benefits she does when she is a landed immigrant(work permit)

And when she is a Permanent Resident she will have even more benefits than she gets as a work permit holder

That is how visa statuses work.............

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

But you aren't anything but a visitor, per your visa, doesn't matter how long you lived there

You could have applied to be a permanent resident but you chose to keep your status as a visitor............

My wife is just a visitor in Canada at the moment and she doesn't have the same benefits she does when she is a landed immigrant(work permit)

And when she is a Permanent Resident she will have even more benefits than she gets as a work permit holder

That is how visa statuses work.............

Easier said than done here and it is not as easy or 1,2,3 one would think. So just not going to go that way abs they should make it easy for us solid stay here eith solid family ties old time guys, but they don’t. But yes I have looked at it. I have a friend in Mexico who got it rather easily with his wife abs kids. USA isn’t all that difficult at all really. 

Just now, HolyCowCm said:

Easier said than done here and it is not as easy or 1,2,3 one would think. So just not going to go that way abs they should make it easy for us solid stay here eith solid family ties old time guys, but they don’t. But yes I have looked at it. I have a friend in Mexico who got it rather easily with his wife abs kids. USA isn’t all that difficult at all really. 

I totally understand that............Thailand does not make it easy

And yes, if you have Thai kids like yourself, there should be an easier path..........I 100% agree with you

But there isn't and you did choose that........whether that is right or wrong

And yes, for all the handwringing guys do about the process of taking their Thai wives back home..........it is not that hard of a process, relatively, to have your wife immigrate to your country

And they get the same benefits as you in a pretty quick manner.........

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I totally understand that............Thailand does not make it easy

And yes, if you have Thai kids like yourself, there should be an easier path..........I 100% agree with you

But there isn't and you did choose that........whether that is right or wrong

And yes, for all the handwringing guys do about the process of taking their Thai wives back home..........it is not that hard of a process, relatively, to have your wife immigrate to your country

And they get the same benefits as you in a pretty quick manner.........

Yeah, so I will just wiggle and waggle and jump through the moronic bureaucracy being a life long visitor here until I need a plan B. Sort of gets me that foreigner women who marry a thai man abs virtually shows in without so much of no problems here. But the other way around is not. 
yes I chose my life here and so deal with it. 2 more months and it is play the renewal game once again. Lost count how many times this is now. HAHAHAHAHA.