News Forum - Foreigners may have to pay more for hotels than Thais

Thaiger

11 hours ago, Grant said:

First they tell us in a Pandemic the tourists are dirty & don’t shower!

Something we will never forget!

And now this ?

These would have to be the dumbest people I have ever seen!

They want tourists?

Yet they keep kicking them in the guts!

I see people Boycotting Thailand in regards to the latest move!

Whoever is in charge of Tourism needs to go!

Also not transparent about Tsunamis last week!

This is total Racism & an insult!

How would Thai Government officials like going to America or England & told they have to pay more for their Hotel room because you are Thai?

And also hearing that Thai Health Minister believes Tourists are dirty and don’t shower !

what message is he sending to people coming?

If you go into Phuket and Patong you also see Police targeting foreigners for not wearing helmets ?

And mot having the right licence for a Moto cycle?

But they never fine Locals for the same thing?

How many times do you see people in the back of pickups not wearing seat belts !

Yet they will fine a tourist for not wearing a seat belt inside a car?

Just no sense to target the very people you want to visit!

A lot of words there. 

You seem disgruntled, I assume you are leaving/left Thailand.

Oh!....and those pesky policemen fining you for breaking the law; that is not on.

21 hours ago, Thaiger said:

increase hotel prices to pre-pandemic levels

That’s absurd. Are they actually trying to drive away business? How in the world is this suppose to increase tourism? You just have to shake your head. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You talk about stupid and I am not calling you stupid, but this post makes zero sense

Why would hotels be against the government subsidizing bookings? They are getting more bookings and getting paid the full rate.............

Unlike most on here, I actually travelled to Thailand recently and used the discount program

And the hotels were full with Thais using their hotel discounts. That is called increased business.

I know you guys love to get outraged without actually reading into the source.

It's a travel discount for locals, foreigners are paying the regular rate, not "more"

Yours is the post that makes zero sense. The statement from the government spokesman was for hotels themselves to voluntarily implement a dual pricing system—with full price for foreigners and discount for Thais. It makes no reference to the travel subsidy scheme.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry plans to ask hotel operators to implement a dual-tariff structure under which foreign visitors may be charged rates similar to pre-pandemic days while locals may continue to enjoy discounted rates, Traisuree Taisaranakul, a government spokeswoman said in a statement on Wednesday. 

Don’t infer I’m stupid by just changing the topic to the travel subsidy scheme  

As if proof on my position was needed, this is effectively what hoteliers told the government: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2341872/hoteliers-deride-government-proposal-for-dual-pricing

Also I didn’t say price discrimination was impossible. It happens all the time but it’s not as odious as a direct dual pricing system.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cockneyboy said:

what visa are you showing to get a Thai entry price, and at what attractions

I've used it at Erawan NP but I have also been refused it at Erawan NP so I dunno if it is a rule or not. I was told to use it at SeaLife aquarium in Siam Paragon when we got some special offer tickets. Also Safari World outside Bangkok.

Go with the expectation of not being able to use it then you can't get annoyed :)

7 minutes ago, Scribble said:

I've used it at Erawan NP but I have also been refused it at Erawan NP so I dunno if it is a rule or not. I was told to use it at SeaLife aquarium in Siam Paragon when we got some special offer tickets. Also Safari World outside Bangkok.

Go with the expectation of not being able to use it then you can't get annoyed :)

I think the first part of the question was "what visa are you showing to get a Thai entry price,"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Guest1 said:

THIS reads like the hotels should give discounts to locals, NOT filled up to 100% by the government programs. It is the way out of these discount programs, methinks,  but still giving advantage to local tourists. In case the hotel is offering 50/60/70%  prices for Thai

I think you hit the nail on the head. For a government that always cries how poor it is, there’s probably little chance they will be able to fund more travel subsidy schemes. 

So they want to keep their supporters happy  with discounts and want the hotels to fund them to show they’re doing something for Thais no matter how bad it looks to the outside world.

These are small minded, unimaginative, fixed pie kind of bureaucrats. 

21 hours ago, Giltee said:

I showed my Thai ID card at a national park to an army dressed woman recently and was told unless I had a Thai passport I had to pay tourist prices. It was 40 baht for my wife, 300 for me and 30 for my car. As a matter of principle I told her to stick it and left. 

That's sick, because it's proof that you live here and pay taxes here. That's all that is needed. A Thai passport compared to this is not much different looking at the situation. It's both for whoever stays in Thailand for a long time. 

On top of that, a Thai ID card is already proof that you live in Thailand. Otherwise it's not possible to get one. You've paid a certain amount to get it, went through many hoops (which if I'm correct include speaking Thai very well, have proof of staying here and not being a tourist) in the hope you'll be treated equally, just to be treated the same as usual. 

I was looking into getting a Thai ID card to make a long stay less of a trouble, but whatever you carry, it seems just same same. Next time you'll get a Thai passport and then they'll still find a reason. 

Maybe next time you should bring along the Thai constitution and say you decided to take steps like a Thai ID card because you thought that all citizens in Thai would be treated the same under the constitution. Now you are taking steps towards it, you should be able to be treated the same. They are the ones not following their own rules. 

2 hours ago, Chaimai said:

I think the first part of the question was "what visa are you showing to get a Thai entry price,"

Haha sorry I've been in Thailand for too long I can only answer one question at a time.

Mine is non immigrant O based on marriage but I guess any non immigrants visa can give it a try at least.

Side note, it's often less stressful to just expect to pay the tourist price and live with it. Taking your passport around with you is annoying/worrying. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scribble said:

Haha sorry I've been in Thailand for too long I can only answer one question at a time.

Mine is non immigrant O based on marriage but I guess any non immigrants visa can give it a try at least.

Side note, it's often less stressful to just expect to pay the tourist price and live with it. Taking your passport around with you is annoying/worrying. 

If a ferang books a double bed for themself and their Thai wife, would one half of the bed be charged at the Thai price and the ferang half at the more expensive rate?

Dumb decisions always !

when are they going to get someone to actually promotes Tourism?

It’s a challenge to get tourists for Hotels & you are giving negativity to tourists!

How about incentives to get tourists?

17 hours ago, Grant said:

First they tell us in a Pandemic the tourists are dirty & don’t shower!

Something we will never forget!

And now this ?

These would have to be the dumbest people I have ever seen!

They want tourists?

Yet they keep kicking them in the guts!

I see people Boycotting Thailand in regards to the latest move!

Whoever is in charge of Tourism needs to go!

Also not transparent about Tsunamis last week!

This is total Racism & an insult!

How would Thai Government officials like going to America or England & told they have to pay more for their Hotel room because you are Thai?

And also hearing that Thai Health Minister believes Tourists are dirty and don’t shower !

what message is he sending to people coming?

If you go into Phuket and Patong you also see Police targeting foreigners for not wearing helmets ?

And mot having the right licence for a Moto cycle?

But they never fine Locals for the same thing?

How many times do you see people in the back of pickups not wearing seat belts !

Yet they will fine a tourist for not wearing a seat belt inside a car?

Just no sense to target the very people you want to visit!

They cannot help it. What you are referring to is the ability to have and maintain vision. They just don't have it. Zero on the vision level. They cannot even see tomorrow. Same applies to common sense. Nobody in this administration has it. And also, fake national pride can be quite blinding. 

Edited by dmacarelli
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

That's sick, because it's proof that you live here and pay taxes here. That's all that is needed. A Thai passport compared to this is not much different looking at the situation. It's both for whoever stays in Thailand for a long time. 

On top of that, a Thai ID card is already proof that you live in Thailand. Otherwise it's not possible to get one. You've paid a certain amount to get it, went through many hoops (which if I'm correct include speaking Thai very well, have proof of staying here and not being a tourist) in the hope you'll be treated equally, just to be treated the same as usual. 

I was looking into getting a Thai ID card to make a long stay less of a trouble, but whatever you carry, it seems just same same. Next time you'll get a Thai passport and then they'll still find a reason. 

Maybe next time you should bring along the Thai constitution and say you decided to take steps like a Thai ID card because you thought that all citizens in Thai would be treated the same under the constitution. Now you are taking steps towards it, you should be able to be treated the same. They are the ones not following their own rules. 

So much of this is so wildly wrong

A Thai ID doesn't prove you pay taxes and you don't need to speak Thai to obtain one

12 hours ago, JJJ said:

Yours is the post that makes zero sense. The statement from the government spokesman was for hotels themselves to voluntarily implement a dual pricing system—with full price for foreigners and discount for Thais. It makes no reference to the travel subsidy scheme.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry plans to ask hotel operators to implement a dual-tariff structure under which foreign visitors may be charged rates similar to pre-pandemic days while locals may continue to enjoy discounted rates, Traisuree Taisaranakul, a government spokeswoman said in a statement on Wednesday. 

As if proof on my position was needed, this is effectively what hoteliers told the government: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2341872/hoteliers-deride-government-proposal-for-dual-pricing

Also I didn’t say price discrimination was impossible. It happens all the time but it’s not as odious as a direct dual pricing system.  

That is all true but instead of freaking out on the internet, like 90% of this forum does, you want to bet it does end up in an extension of the We Travel Together?

As usual, it was a hasty decision/remark and will be corrected as it goes

And regardless of any discounts that may happen, farang aren't paying any higher rates

We are going back in the high of high seasons and my great, brand new hotel is 60cad/night

And I wouldn't be shocked that I am getting discounts with my wife and son when we head down South

So while 90% of this forum freaks out on the internet, I will be on my 2nd trip............

• Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 1:27 AM, kalyan said:

not a good move, complete wrong timing !

another srilanka is coming up !

Nope. Thailand economy is  very different than Sri Lanka. A civil war destroyed the Sri Lankan economy and the country never recovered from that damage. 

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

So much of this is so wildly wrong

A Thai ID doesn't prove you pay taxes and you don't need to speak Thai to obtain one

What's needed for it then? Last time I checked, there were 2 things for which you need to be able to speak Thai because there would either be a test in Thai, need to know the national anthem and have a conversation in Thai. Wasn't this one of them then? 

Whenever you are able to get a Thai ID card, you should pay tax here too, because you live here a long time. I live here and I pay tax here. Whoever doesn't, may not complain about double pricing. 

7 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

That is all true but instead of freaking out on the internet, like 90% of this forum does, you want to bet it does end up in an extension of the We Travel Together?

As usual, it was a hasty decision/remark and will be corrected as it goes

And regardless of any discounts that may happen, farang aren't paying any higher rates

We are going back in the high of high seasons and my great, brand new hotel is 60cad/night

And I wouldn't be shocked that I am getting discounts with my wife and son when we head down South

So while 90% of this forum freaks out on the internet, I will be on my 2nd trip............

You provide a rational  and intelligent interpretation. I am starting to travel again for business and notice that the BKK Novotel which caters mostly to foreign travellers is offering rates that are 1/2 of what they were pre pandemic., like a return to the days before everything was always at full occupancy. 

The reality is that the  international branded hotels won't dual price. They may offer promotions, but that's it. Not worth the trouble and extra work to change reservation rates etc. 

3 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

What's needed for it then? Last time I checked, there were 2 things for which you need to be able to speak Thai because there would either be a test in Thai, need to know the national anthem and have a conversation in Thai. Wasn't this one of them then? 

Whenever you are able to get a Thai ID card, you should pay tax here too, because you live here a long time. I live here and I pay tax here. Whoever doesn't, may not complain about double pricing. 

Well it's mind blowing that you live there and are so wildly misinformed and post completely false information.....

You are talking about obtaining citizenship, not to get a simple Thai ID card

https://thethaiger.com/other-services/pink-id/guides/thai-pink-id-card-procedures-and-requirements/

3 minutes ago, Vigo said:

You provide a rational  and intelligent interpretation. I am starting to travel again for business and notice that the BKK Novotel which caters mostly to foreign travellers is offering rates that are 1/2 of what they were pre pandemic., like a return to the days before everything was always at full occupancy. 

The reality is that the  international branded hotels won't dual price. They may offer promotions, but that's it. Not worth the trouble and extra work to change reservation rates etc. 

Novotel is Accor and they have had some of the most aggressive offers throughout their whole chain.

The one I spoke about in Kamala Phuket was an Accor hotel

I got 40% off so a 2 bedroom suite was 2300 baht/nt

We then received 600 baht/nt credit through the travel program

AND, then got  an additional 2300 baht/nt credit(equal to our room charge)

So we basically ate/drank all we wanted for 6 nights..............

37 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Well it's mind blowing that you live there and are so wildly misinformed and post completely false information.....

You are talking about obtaining citizenship, not to get a simple Thai ID card

https://thethaiger.com/other-services/pink-id/guides/thai-pink-id-card-procedures-and-requirements/

Jesus, as if you never make a mistake or anything 🙄🤪

There's a step before getting Hai citizenship I can remember. A Thai residence permit, which you can use to get that ID card later I thought. 

You can just say it's wrong and I'll get the point. 

But let's not go away from the main point. If you have a Thai ID card, you should be charged the Thai price because not everyone is able to get one with any visa. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

Jesus, as if you never make a mistake or anything 🙄🤪

There's a step before getting Hai citizenship I can remember. A Thai residence permit, which you can use to get that ID card later I thought. 

You can just say it's wrong and I'll get the point. 

But let's not go away from the main point. If you have a Thai ID card, you should be charged the Thai price because not everyone is able to get one with any visa. 

Why should you get the Thai price?

Because you live there?

I just established a Thai ID doesn't prove you pay anything more than a simple tourist

8 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Why should you get the Thai price?

Because you live there?

I just established a Thai ID doesn't prove you pay anything more than a simple tourist

We (Men) the well established foreign folk here should have a better status easy for  fair shake. They should not keep us like tis as we are proven.Well at least I have a long history here, that is like many others. I have been here decades and have a few kids. Visa been the same for well about 16 years now back to back and only living in CM with my family. Actually more but  that is only this visa. With the other 2 entries alone is shows back to back stay for 23 solid, then before that was the other good ones on record doing runs and stuff becasue hustle and under 50 with out kids tacks on another 6 plus years with a different Thai wife, then before that several jumping and change visas. 

On 7/8/2022 at 8:14 AM, JJJ said:

The response by the Hotelier's Assc in your linked article above, is spot on, and realistic, as expected. 

The Thai Government likely had good intentions with their misguided, premature, apparently unsolicited suggestion.  Based on the solid rebuffing from the hotel mafia, appears the Gubmint was brainstorming on how to run/market hotels.....without consulting anyone in the hotel industry.  Suspect the government's focus was  grabbing higher tax revenue from the ailing hospitality/tourist trough.

5 hours ago, TWS60 said:

The response by the Hotelier's Assc in your linked article above, is spot on, and realistic, as expected. 

The Thai Government likely had good intentions with their misguided, premature, apparently unsolicited suggestion.  Based on the solid rebuffing from the hotel mafia, appears the Gubmint was brainstorming on how to run/market hotels.....without consulting anyone in the hotel industry.  Suspect the government's focus was  grabbing higher tax revenue from the ailing hospitality/tourist trough.

Exactly. But I disagree they were brainstorming as that would require a brain. 🤣

• Haha 2