News Forum - Thai taxi drivers protest against extended GrabBike deadline

Thaiger

Bangkok motorcycle Taxi riders and Taxi drivers today burned their orange safety vests in protest of the Transport Ministry’s decision to extend the licence of GrabBike riders for 2 more months. The company announced last week that every one of their Grab riders must register as a public transport operator and change their registration plates from white to yellow if they want to continue as a taxi rider. Grab informed its partners that this change was made according to the latest order from the Department of Land Transport. A white registration plate is used on a personal car, and a […]

The story Thai taxi drivers protest against extended GrabBike deadline as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Haha 1

Grab Win is an efficient and cost effective service with a plentiful number of drivers and is especially useful when you’re not near a win taxi stand. Apart from the drivers outside my condo who are great, many overcharge and can be difficult to deal with. 

And because of that the government needed to come in to find a “solution” that’s inevitably going to result in fewer drivers and higher costs . 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Grab Win is an efficient and cost effective service with a plentiful number of drivers and is especially useful when you’re not near a win taxi stand. Apart from the drivers outside my condo who are great, many overcharge and can be difficult to deal with. 

And because of that the government needed to come in to find a “solution” that’s inevitably going to result in fewer drivers and higher costs . 

I actually get great prices and great service from these Win riders and use them all the time. I love these riders.. Have for deades now. It's all about how you deal with them and how they precieve you. Don't get me wrong, I have walked away from some as well. Just did not want to deal with that idiot personality that is. But on a whole I will use them hands down. Not keen on using apps

• Like 1

A white registration plate is used on a personal car, and a private vehicle cannot be used to transport people for profit.

Cannot? There is wide proof of the opposite. In/on Phuket, as an example, are more official motorbike taxis (drivers with west and/or waiting at official motorbiketaxi spots)  "white plated", as yellow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JJJ said:

Is there a discount or much of a discount to use Grab MB? 

because it would have to be a real good discount for me to use a Grab over the convenience of jumping on a regular street MB taxi

So much easier than booking it on the APP and waiting to find your MB driver............

2 hours ago, Guest1 said:

A white registration plate is used on a personal car, and a private vehicle cannot be used to transport people for profit.

Cannot? There is wide proof of the opposite. In/on Phuket, as an example, are more official motorbike taxis (drivers with west and/or waiting at official motorbiketaxi spots)  "white plated", as yellow. 

I was in Pattaya last week and saw numerous motorcycle taxis with white plates the operators had on the orange vests 

• Like 2

If Grabbike operators have the same attitude as their Grab food delivery counterparts, no way would I use them. The most arrogant road users I have experienced in my time in Thailand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Is there a discount or much of a discount to use Grab MB? 

because it would have to be a real good discount for me to use a Grab over the convenience of jumping on a regular street MB taxi

So much easier than booking it on the APP and waiting to find your MB driver............

I find grab is cheaper for longer distances especially. Grab is more expensive for short rides. But that’s also how the win drivers prefer it. They’re mostly looking for 20-40 baht for a short connecting ride. 

But if I have to travel a moderate distance during rush hour for a moderate distance I’ll just use grab win. 

On a side note, my condo to office to 20 baht but the win drivers outside my office charge 40 baht to my condo 

24 minutes ago, JJJ said:

I find grab is cheaper for longer distances especially. Grab is more expensive for short rides. But that’s also how the win drivers prefer it. They’re mostly looking for 20-40 baht for a short connecting ride. 

But if I have to travel a moderate distance during rush hour for a moderate distance I’ll just use grab win. 

On a side note, my condo to office to 20 baht but the win drivers outside my office charge 40 baht to my condolences 

In Pattaya official Taxi's are a complete rip- off. 300 Bat for 6 km. Nobody uses Meters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Train said:

In Pattaya official Taxi's are a complete rip- off. 300 Bat for 6 km. Nobody uses Meters.

1 hour ago, Train said:

I never see many taxis in Pattaya and not many motorcycle taxis either.  I do see a lot of people riding around in songthaews though.

17 hours ago, Guest1 said:

I don't think traffic laws apply to motorcycles in Thailand. They are certainly not enforced.  I drove my motorcycle for 3 months without a plate.  No one seemed to care.  Red lights are optional.  Driving the wrong direction in traffic is ok.  No need to stop for pedestrians. Too hot to wear a helmet.  Feel free to drive on the sidewalk rather than driving 3 km to the next legal U turn. You can even bring your entire family along with you.  For Heaven's sake wear a mask though!  

• Like 1