News Forum - China key to Thailand’s tourism industry recovery

Thaiger

The Tourism Council of Thailand yesterday confessed that building up tourism to pre-Covid-19 levels is going to be a challenge to the kingdom despite encouraging signs of recovery this year. And without Chinese tourists, the task remains even harder. The last of Thailand’s Covid-related restrictions were lifted today. Tourists no longer need a Thailand Pass or insurance, and you don’t even have to be vaccinated, although it helps speed up your transit through customs to your final destination. Unvaccinated travellers passing through airport customs only need to prepare a negative result from a professional ATK test. But it’s unlikely any […]

The story China key to Thailand’s tourism industry recovery as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

In reality, Chinese New Year or the Spring Festival next year is a more realistic target for tourists from the mainland.

Until China moves from zero covid policy, next year might be wishful thinking. 

• Like 6

Since currently the CCP are discouraging people from leaving the country by refusing passport applications and permission for people to depart. And even in some reports cutting up passports of citizens trying to board flights for international destinations for their own political reasons that have nothing to do with covid. I can't see the touted resumption of flights or anything else causing a significant increase in Chinese tourism for Thailand. 

• Like 1

China is key...if you want hordes of horribly behaved, low spending and unpleasant tourists.  What was that about Thailand wanting high end tourists?

• Like 4

I seem to remember the phrase 'zero dollar tourists' being linked to Chinese tourists.

I wonder if that will change in the future?

Only a few months ago there was a report of a case in the Thai Supreme Court about this very subject.
The defends were acquitted, even though they were each fined 500,000 Baht:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/final-three-defendants-in-thailands-zero-dollar-tourism-case-acquitted/ 

If Thai tourism is relying on China for a recovery, then it's going to wait a long time. The Chinese are actively pursuing a zero covid policy and, last week stated that they were thinking  of keeping this in place for a further five years, in keeping with their five year strategic economic plans. Make of that what you will.

• Like 1

When Winnie the Flu gets "voted" back in, I doubt Chinese tourism will be anything close to the glory years of seafood buffet orgies.

Only the very connected are going to be able to travel, because everyone else would not be able to afford time off for three weeks of return quarantine! On top of the time and expense of a holiday.

Given that Covid is here forever, and mutations are constant. How in the name of Confucius do the CCP think zero Covid will ever be achieved? Until that insanity is shelved, don't hold your breath waiting to see big mobs following a little bobbing flag through Walking St. 

Further, I predict Xi will move on Taiwan if NATO get drawn into a land war in Europe, and/or to distract from the Evergrande, Bullet Train, Covid fiascos' at home, and ever increasing authoritarianism, war is the only way to justify that regime extremism at home and take angry minds off the domestic disasters of his own making.

Thailand simply cannot remain neutral if Taiwan gets occupied, because ASEAN don't have the will or cohesion to form a collective defence, And they have the China puppet Cambodia on their doorstep.

So mainland China is not coming here for a long time, unless it's via parachute and landing craft!

Edited by Venusianhart
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I seem to remember the phrase 'zero dollar tourists' being linked to Chinese tourists.

I wonder if that will change in the future?

Only a few months ago there was a report of a case in the Thai Supreme Court about this very subject.
The defends were acquitted, even though they were each fined 500,000 Baht:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/final-three-defendants-in-thailands-zero-dollar-tourism-case-acquitted/ 

555 Acquitted but fined!

Same same guilty but different. 

Only in Thailand.

• Like 1

Key to recovery? Like another new hole in the head. Who are these t-wats who repeatedly say this BS. They are the ones who are sheltered and never first hand experience them in overcrowded groups and their antics here. Granted some are A-Ok, but he ones in these large groups certainly leave a lot to be desired.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WR2 said:

China is key...if you want hordes of horribly behaved, low spending and unpleasant tourists.  What was that about Thailand wanting high end tourists?

Hate to say it but every Thai I've ever spoken to says this exact thing.

26 minutes ago, Saunk said:

Hate to say it but every Thai I've ever spoken to says this exact thing.

So say what? Object but  willing to take what can?  Real is if  no thing else  then to hell with principles !   Lesson #1 capatilis !