News Forum - Bangkok’s plan to become the Venice of the East

Thaiger

Bangkok governor Chadchart Sittipunt yesterday met with the Federation of Thai Industries president to plan a grand project to turn the Hua Lamphong Canal into the Venice of the East. The 56 year old Chadchart met with Kriengkrai Thiennukul and discussed a solution to improving the city’s water quality, creating a Bangkok Sandbox around the Chao Phraya River, and turning the capital’s polluted network of canals into a picturesque scene reminiscent of an Italian Renaissance painting. Chadchart selected Hua Lamphong Canal, in the Klong Toey district, out of Bangkok’s 1,126 canals, to kick off the project. The canal is about […]

The story Bangkok’s plan to become the Venice of the East as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Well, the last time I was in Venice, Italy, I do remember raw sewage smells all over the place, so, off to a good start 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

FUN FACT: "The “Venice of the East” description was originally from the Portuguese explorer Fernão Mendes Pinto writing about Ayutthaya in the 1540’s."

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, HansCS said:

Well, the last time I was in Venice, Italy, I do remember raw sewage smells all over the place, so, off to a good start 🤣

That smell is caused by the clay in the bottom of the canals. With salt water, and low tide it starts to oxidize. Which makes it smell like rotten eggs.

Looking at the picture in the article I kinda guess the smell in Bangkok's canals might have a different cause. The good part, they can double up facemasks and sell them as nosemasks 😇

Saucy bleeders.! #! #

Nakhon Sawan, source of the mighty Chao Phraya is famous worldwide as the Venice of the East. 

So some feller told me once, anyway. 

Remember this?

"On 22 July 2003, a car accident in which he fell into a polluted Bangkok khlong (canal) resulted in severe brain infection with multiple organisms including the Pseudallescheria boydii fungus,[2] which, despite efforts to treat him including four brain operations and medicine flown in from Australia,[3] caused extensive damage to his brain. He remained in coma for four years before finally succumbing to the illness."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apichet_Kittikorncharoen

12 hours ago, Leo said:

It seems the new BKK governor is off to a good start......in slogans.

Bangkok has too much reclamation of these canals and destroy the natural beauty. There are still few that survive the reclamation. 

Bangkok does not remotely resemble Venice other than both have water. BK should seek its own unique identity as comparing themselves to Venice will only create expectations in tourists that will create disappointment. BK has its own unique character and that should be the focus. Tourists don’t come here to feel like they are in Venice!