News Forum - Thai police given new power to arrest fine-avoiding motorists

Thaiger

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Fines in Australia are sky high - A while back, I got fined AU$257 (6,320 Baht) just for parking (in a designated roadside bay) with the front of my car facing the flow of traffic in the nearest lane, rather that the back of my car facing it. I didn't even realise it was illegal, and what on earth was the hazard anyway? It was in a deserted side street in broad daylight.

During covid, my wife and I were threatened with a $1,000 fine each (total nearly 50,000 Baht), for walking out of a supermarket together. Two coppers were lying in wait for people shopping. The fact that we lived together didn't matter. I told them that we weren't aware of the 'lone shopping only' rule (which had come out the previous day) and they grudgingly let us off, provided we walked off one at a time. Yes, really.

Australia is a total nanny state - a morass of petty rules, warning signs stating the obvious, finger wagging officials and pointless regulations.

I agree, can't do anything fun anymore😇

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Transam said:

All vehicles have rear red light reflectors, you must park in the direction of flow so that at night, in an unlit road, a parked ride with no lights on can be seen by an approaching vehicle's headlights...🤓

That makes sense. So nothing to do with driving on the wrong side of the road, just visibility at night. That's almost reasonable.