News Forum - A Cat Gave Me Covid: Vet in Thailand “first in the world” to catch Covid-19 from a cat

Thaiger

A cat sneezed in a veterinarian’s face and gave her Covid-19, according to a recent study conducted by Songkhla University in southern Thailand. Worldwide, no other cat-to-human cases have been reported. The case study reports that a father and son from Bangkok tested positive for Covid-19 back in August last year, but because there were no hospital beds available in Bangkok, they were transferred in an ambulance for 20 hours to Prince of Songkhla university for treatment, with their cat. The cat slept in their beds and was later transferred to the university veterinarian hospital for testing. The vet conducted […]

The story A Cat Gave Me Covid: Vet in Thailand “first in the world” to catch Covid-19 from a cat as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Ah...the dogs have been proven correct. There is an evil plan by the cats to take over the world, one sneeze at a time! 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

no the first case was a big cat in the Bronx zoo new York

a mask does not protect against virus

all animals can carry it

check zoonics

Another first for Thailand. Despite millions upon millions of infections around the world, Thailand is the one and only exception.   Humans infected animals, not animals infected humans. I expect it will result in the usual idiot reactions with people killing cats.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Maybe a typo? 😉

we need to paws this post subject. 

I know that comment is off topic, but if the report is true, well, it just isn't, so it deserves ridicule. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Another first for Thailand. Despite millions upon millions of infections around the world, Thailand is the one and only exception.   Humans infected animals, not animals infected humans. I expect it will result in the usual idiot reactions with people killing cats.

Which is why the vet should be not only ridiculed but actually punished in some way. Given that scientists tried to intentionally make covid jump back from cats to humans in the lab when it was first discovered that cats could catch it from us and could not make it happen even in physically swabbing an infected cat and rubbing the swab directly on human tissue and it would not infect the human tissue. It's safe to say she is wrong and that she caught it the same way everybody else does. 

This is the exact sort of thing that starts hysteria and gives animal haters the sort of excuse that they want to justify torturing and killing cats. 

Its not beyond the realms of possibility. After all Koalas can give you chlamydia. 

I do sometimes wonder what our antipodean friends were doing with the Koalas to begin with though. 😛

• Haha 1

so researchers concluded she most likely caught the virus from the cat”

so all of this is about a “Most Likely”. Surly if, as this has not happened anywhere else in the world cat to human. It would have been worth at lease gnome testing the strain. 

11 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Its not beyond the realms of possibility. After all Koalas can give you chlamydia. 

I do sometimes wonder what our antipodean friends were doing with the Koalas to begin with though. 😛

Thankfully we have been able to remove all of those inherited British behavioural genes from our system over the years. 😩

As for cats passing covid-19 to humans. Let us just wait and see if some proper scientific research proves it one way or another. Too many claims have been made during this Pandemic that lack sound scientific consensus and yet have been publicised and then used falsely.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The only comment I would like to make that this is not true. Period ,Fullstop

The vet had otehr people in her rooms/office during the previous three days or was she in isolation????

33 minutes ago, RJBT said:

The only comment I would like to make that this is not true. Period ,Fullstop

The vet had otehr people in her rooms/office during the previous three days or was she in isolation????

Fine that is your opinion. But seems you have a number of unanswered questions, despite been firm in your initial statement that it is not true. What if the answer showed the vet  had no contact with anyone else? How did the vet then catch it? That would seem important to understand and deserve more than a simple uninformed dismissal.

Perhaps the words of the immortal Arthur Conan Doyle may ring true in the end. “Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

I don't know the answer. But I do know we still make too many of our decisions based on the uninformed, unproven statements and rhetoric of others no matter the position taken. Seems some still haven't learnt much through our experiences with Covid-19.

I hope the cat is now feeling purrrrrfect! 😏