News Forum - Thai hackers target high-ranking official in 200,000 baht swindle

Thaiger

Cyber police yesterday swooped to arrest a Thai hacker group who targeted a high-ranking government official in a more than 200,000 baht swindle. The cyber punks managed to gain access to a Facebook account belonging to former government official, Suthee Pattanayongyot, who used to serve the Judiciary of Thailand. One of the hackers, Somchai Saenthilert, pretended to be Suthee, contacted another high-profile government chief and managed to access his personal information and Line ID. He used the Line account to swindle more than 200,000 baht from the official’s relatives, friends, and colleagues. The Commander of the Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau, […]

The story Thai hackers target high-ranking official in 200,000 baht swindle as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It all sounds somewhat amateuristic to me. Most likely they guessed a password or two. Not really hacking. And then they get caught? With only 200k baht profit? I almost pity them. Almost.

3 minutes ago, Janneman said:

It all sounds somewhat amateuristic to me. Most likely they guessed a password or two. Not really hacking. And then they get caught? With only 200k baht profit? I almost pity them. Almost.

Social engineering to get the unwitting to give up passwords. Less about computer code hacking than just go old fashioned con job. 

8 minutes ago, Prosaap said:

She arrested 2 time before now say a farang teach her why not we get blame for everything else also 

huh?