News Forum - Thailand’s Parliament passes Marriage Equality Bill

Thaiger

12 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Soooooooo .... why stay in Thailand then? If Australia is so much better.

Ridiculous comment - Monaco and California amongst numerous other places are better then Thailand, but that doesn't mean everyone can live there.

5 hours ago, bvbeyond said:

Congratulations to all those who can now officially tie the knot and grow old with the person they love.

You know in Afghanistan you can legally marry a goat !

You watch someone come along in a minute and tell us that's wrong ! 😉

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Monaco and California amongst numerous other places are better then Thailand

Oh really? In what way?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Benroon said:

Change the word 'divided' to 'diverse' and boom the worlds a better place !

Try it - start with smiling ....

Dilution and abolition of local culture, to make the whole world the same, is a Liberal thing. But are Liberal things necessarily good things?

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

and yet you haven't got a single shred of evidence to back that up have you.

So same sex marriage erodes respect (of what we can move onto later) - hang on aren't you disrespecting same sex couples ? and given your comments couldn't be uglier I'm guessing your boyfriend has left you correct ? 

The last statement in your post is certainly incorrect. Try to debate points raised, rather than making ad hominem attacks on the poster, if you're able to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Benroon said:

You just knew it would be a short time before the intolerant gestapo came out to play.

I'm probably going to regret asking this but what is 'wokist' about people being able to enjoy their lives with who they want to enjoy it with ?

Lefty identity wars (a facet of what's otherwise known as wokism) are a political phenomenon that uses identity and things like gender and sexuality as a pretext to demolish tradition and reconstitute society. Like revolutionaries that came before them, they want to end up in charge.

It's a form of Gramscian Marxism, replacing the old Leninist kind. It's been surprisingly effective too, focussing the revolution on the higher culture rather than the factory floor.

So clever is this technique that some people don't even realise what it is that they're supporting, instead thinking they're just being kind. Such is the intensity of their faith in this cause, they tolerate no debate or dissenting voices whatsoever. 

You appear to be one of these people. 

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

I take your point entirely. However this forum and the subsequent posts tend to look at specific issues. On such issues it can sometimes be obvious that one country is better than another. The problem however is when that debate is assumed to apply to everything about the country. 

If we take corruption as a topic, then it’s clear that Thailand ranks poor compared to many countries where members come from. You would expect negative comments about Thai corruption and claims that Western countries are less corrupt. If we take a topic of warm weather and better climate, then it’s clear that compared to Northern European countries, Thailand is “better”. 

If you are someone who holds opinions and wishes to express them, then there is plenty “wrong” with Thailand and there are equally many “wrong” things in the U.K. or U.S.

I don’t believe anyone would stay in a country they are unhappy with, unless of course there are other factors to consider. These could include family issues and financial issues. If such issues means that on balance you stay in Thailand, it doesn’t mean you can’t have a bloody good whine and moan about the things that are clearly wrong with the place. 

I love Thailand and I love the U.K.  I’m lucky that I can spend time in both places. If however I had to choose a permanent place at my age, I would choose the U.K.  In 10 years time I would most likely choose Thailand. 

I think that most of what we read about the Western world being "better" in this or that quality of life metric might not necessarily be correct. By way of example, try getting an appointment to see a doctor in Britain these days without going private, even though it's supposed to offer free healthcare. How good is our education system these days? Why have our police abandoned us? Are our governments not corrupt? Are our courts impartial. And so on.

As we all agree, quality of life is actually a highly subjective thing: one's surroundings tend to reflect one's own temperament at any given point in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

By way of example, try getting an appointment to see a doctor in Britain these days without going private, even though it's supposed to offer free healthcare. How good is our education system these days? Why have our police abandoned us? Are our governments not corrupt? Are our courts impartial. And so on.

Well I don’t have any problem where I live getting a appointment, Part of the problem is that those who have nothing wrong with them other than being old want to have a chat and feel comfortable. You simple can not beat the NHS anywhere in the world, and certainly a “little bit better” than the 30 baht scheme! 

As for the education system,  please be assured it’s still in the top 10 for sure. And it’s free until you get to university. They still teach kids to question the ruling elite and even those that in Thailand we can’t even mention !!

Police abandoned us? Really. Try reporting an everyday death in Thailand and compare the response to the U.K.  I’m not sure of your point, but please don’t tell me you are comparing Thai Police with U.K. police? First of  all the U.K. police are proper police. Secondly the Thai police are just mafia and con men in a uniform. Please!!!

And yes, the U.K. courts are impartial. Any proof to show they aren’t ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Well I don’t have any problem where I live getting a appointment, Part of the problem is that those who have nothing wrong with them other than being old want to have a chat and feel comfortable. You simple can not beat the NHS anywhere in the world, and certainly a “little bit better” than the 30 baht scheme! 

It's a fact that old people need more healthcare than young people. What you're saying here though is that old people are hypochondriacs and (in your medical view) actually have nothing wrong with them. The nhs has become something of a national religion, with people clapping into the sky and all that, but it is letting down the people who need it most, badly. You're coming across as heartless here.

But you know this already, which Is this why you say you want to live in Thailand when you yourself are old.

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

As for the education system,  please be assured it’s still in the top 10 for sure. And it’s free until you get to university. They still teach kids to question the ruling elite and even those that in Thailand we can’t even mention !!

They indeed teach kids to question the ruling elite. What kind of questions are they asking though? Most of the philosophy in our education system these day revolves around lefty fads such as Critical Theory, rather than logic and reasoning. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Police abandoned us? Really. Try reporting an everyday death in Thailand and compare the response to the U.K.  I’m not sure of your point, but please don’t tell me you are comparing Thai Police with U.K. police? First of  all the U.K. police are proper police. Secondly the Thai police are just mafia and con men in a uniform. Please!!!

And yes, the U.K. courts are impartial. Any proof to show they aren’t ? 

Try reporting a burglary and you'll be ignored. And when did you last see a police officer on foot patrol? How many police stations have closed down?

During lockdown, they were everywhere though, even using drones to film people walking alone in the moors. Why is this, and where are they all now? Show me the crime stats in your area, and how they've trended in recent years then.

Oh, and the courts that believe justice is a negotiation between a criminal and a victim. Politicised as they are. Take for example when Brexit was questioned and it got a hearing in the Supreme Court in days. Then there was that case where lockdowns were questioned. Did it get a fair hearing of equal standing? Not on your life, and we didn't even examine the highly political Assange case yer, as he gets shipped off to a modern dungeon for embarrassing the US.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Thanks 1