News Forum - Muslim students in southern Thailand protest against decriminalisation of cannabis

Thaiger

On 6/21/2022 at 12:58 AM, oldschooler said:

Cannabis a psychogenic drug causing irreparable derangement-type brain damage with strong links to violent crime

i beg you to back up this claim with something other than 1950's propaganda.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 3:57 PM, TheDirtyDurian said:

As was stated in another article on Thaiger, their concerns were based on their children's access to marijuana, and availablity in their local community. 

As a parent of teenagers I'd be concerned if they could easily buy marijuana. That's why we have age limits on tobacco, alcohol etc, because we realise the damage that they can do. 

I think the Thai government has said that the age limit for marijuana products should be 20 years old. 

Do you have a problem with this?

Problems with marijuana or Mo having sex with 9 year olds ?

3 hours ago, Benroon said:

Problems with marijuana or Mo having sex with 9 year olds ?

You didn't understand what the question referred to? 

On 6/15/2022 at 9:00 PM, Poolie said:

I know, they're just like expats moaning about everything hey? 😁

OR like you with nothing constructive to offer in any discussion...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2022 at 9:37 PM, astro said:

Smoking cannabis will still be illegal under the new laws,   

Wrong... go back and educate yourself on the law... then comment

On 6/16/2022 at 12:10 AM, DiJoDavO said:

What are they protesting? Protesting against nature from growing? 

Opium and heroin come from naturally grown poppies. Cocaine comes from naturally grown coca.

What's your point?

16 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Opium and heroin come from naturally grown poppies. Cocaine comes from naturally grown coca.

What's your point?

Heroin and cocaine don't exactly grow on trees though do they. 

Admittedly, some people have tendencies to abuse opium, it's a strong drug. 

But generally, nature knows best. People have been using opium for thousands of years. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

How about some tales from the trenches then?

https://attackersmokedcannabis.com/

Seriously?? You're just making yourself look foolish now. 😆😆😆

Edwards says he hadn’t taken cannabis or crack on the day in question, and had only drunk alcohol – he puts his level of intoxication as seven out of 10.

In response to questions from officers the defendants says he takes cannabis to make him “calmer”, and that he takes it because he is no longer given Rital for his ADHD.

Officer: “How much do you smoke?”

Edwards: “Enough.”

Officer: “How much does it cost you?”

Edwards: “No comment.”

Edwards says he was unable to get cannabis or crack in the city centre on the day in question but that friends he wouldn’t name had bought him alcohol. He denies committing crime to buy drugs, saying his use is funded through benefits and his nan.

He says he uses cannabis as “self-medication”.

The jury is now hearing details of another interview with Edwards. When the officer mentions CCTV audio from the Summerhouse Cafe in Bute Park the defendant said he has remembered being chased by undercover police officers in the early hours of the morning. He said he ran from officers because he had cannabis on him, and did not want to get caught, and that he hid in a block of flats before going home.

Asked why he had not mentioned this incident before, Edwards replied: “It’s only just coming back to me.” The defendant says cannabis affects his memory and that he is addicted to it, calling it his “medication”. Edwards describes his use of crack cocaine as a “hobby”.

so on  the day of the attack be was DRUNK. Kind of goes against what you're trying to say there!! 😂😂

• Like 2

The court heard Chevelleau – a regular cannabis user – suffers from a schizophrenic illness which has been resistant to treatment.

He was admitted to hospital in 2006 for a psychiatric illness, while his mother said he was diagnosed in prison with schizophrenia when he was 21.

A consultant forensic psychiatrist had previously told the court he thought it was “highly unlikely” Chevelleau would have committed the offences if he had not been suffering from schizophrenia.

this is too easy. I hope you don't work as a lawyer!! 😂😂😂

27 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Heroin and cocaine don't exactly grow on trees though do they. 

Admittedly, some people have tendencies to abuse opium, it's a strong drug. 

But generally, nature knows best. People have been using opium for thousands of years. 

You're saying that opium should be considered as a good thing, because it's naturally grown. You're correct that it doesn't grow on trees: it's harvested from poppies that are easy to cultivate. I remember seeing fields of poppies when I went trekking in the north of Thailand many years ago. So you believe that opium is alright....

What about deadly nightshade and death cap mushrooms then? After all, they're naturally grown so they must also be beneficial, or so your reasoning suggests. 

"Anything that comes from nature is alright" is a fallacious argument, when things like strychnine, uranium, smallpox and botulism also come from nature.

Edited by dbrenn

11 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Seriously?? You're just making yourself look foolish now. 😆😆😆

Edwards says he hadn’t taken cannabis or crack on the day in question, and had only drunk alcohol – he puts his level of intoxication as seven out of 10.

In response to questions from officers the defendants says he takes cannabis to make him “calmer”, and that he takes it because he is no longer given Rital for his ADHD.

Officer: “How much do you smoke?”

Edwards: “Enough.”

Officer: “How much does it cost you?”

Edwards: “No comment.”

Edwards says he was unable to get cannabis or crack in the city centre on the day in question but that friends he wouldn’t name had bought him alcohol. He denies committing crime to buy drugs, saying his use is funded through benefits and his nan.

He says he uses cannabis as “self-medication”.

The jury is now hearing details of another interview with Edwards. When the officer mentions CCTV audio from the Summerhouse Cafe in Bute Park the defendant said he has remembered being chased by undercover police officers in the early hours of the morning. He said he ran from officers because he had cannabis on him, and did not want to get caught, and that he hid in a block of flats before going home.

Asked why he had not mentioned this incident before, Edwards replied: “It’s only just coming back to me.” The defendant says cannabis affects his memory and that he is addicted to it, calling it his “medication”. Edwards describes his use of crack cocaine as a “hobby”.

so on  the day of the attack be was DRUNK. Kind of goes against what you're trying to say there!! 😂😂

Alcohol comes from nature - the fermentation of sugar into ethanol using yeast. You should support that.

Or are you now recanting your opinion that naturally grown things must be good things?

Edited by dbrenn

38 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

How about some tales from the trenches then?

https://attackersmokedcannabis.com/

I don't know if you really believe this stuff, of you're just being deliberately disingenuous trying to make some troll point, but having read through most of them it's obvious that most of those examples involved mentally ill people, and people with multiple addictions, and in numerous instances the use of alcohol etc, was prevalent on the day of the attack too. 

Is you worried for your safety in Thailand? 

I thought you was ex SAS? 

6 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

You're saying that opium should be considered as a good thing, because it's naturally grown. You're correct that it doesn't grow on trees: it's harvested from poppies that are easy to cultivate. I remember seeing fields of poppies when I went trekking in the north of Thailand many years ago. So opium is alright....

What about deadly nightshade and death cap mushrooms then? After all, they're naturally grown so they must also be beneficial, or so your reasoning suggests. 

"Anything that comes from nature is alright" is a fallacious argument, when things like strychnine, uranium, smallpox and botulism also come from nature.

No. Just pointing out that you're conflating substance that shouldn't be conflated . 

And again no. I said that heroin and cocaine didn't grow on trees. 

Do try to keep up.....

Maybe you need your afternoon nap..🤗🤗🤗

6 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I don't know if you really believe this stuff, of you're just being deliberately disingenuous trying to make some troll point, but having read through most of them it's obvious that most of those examples involved mentally ill people, and people with multiple addictions, and in numerous instances the use of alcohol etc, was prevalent on the day of the attack too. 

Is you worried for your safety in Thailand? 

I thought you was ex SAS? 

Whatever gave you the mistaken belief that I'm ex-SAS? Show me where I said that, or stand down.

9 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Alcohol comes from nature - the fermentation of sugar into ethanol using yeast. You should support that.

Or are you now recanting your opinion that naturally grown things must be good things?

Hang on a minute. I thought this was about cannabis making people violent and attacking others. 

1 minute ago, dbrenn said:

Whatever gave you the mistaken belief that I'm ex-SAS? Show me where I said that, or stand down.

Okay Walt ..

4 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

No. Just pointing out that you're conflating substance that shouldn't be conflated . 

And again no. I said that heroin and cocaine didn't grow on trees. 

Do try to keep up.....

Maybe you need your afternoon nap..🤗🤗🤗

Now you've descended into flippancy, which means you've run out of sensible arguments. You were the one who was using the argument that naturally grown things were good and beneficial things, not me.

2 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Now you've descended into flippancy, which means you've run out of sensible arguments. You were the one who was using the argument that naturally grown things were good and beneficial things, not me.

Again no. I pointed out that you're conflating the processed form of a naturally occurring substance, with a naturally occurring substance

Heroin is not the same as opium, and cocaine is not the same as coca leaves. 

You think they're the same?

Anyways, I suggest you reread the article you gave a link to. 

If you read it in the first place that is. 

1 minute ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

The bus will be along soon..

So what you're saying is that you were wrong in saying I was ex-SAS. Why don't you just say so?

Just now, dbrenn said:

So what you're saying is that you were wrong in saying I was ex-SAS. Why don't you just say so?

Loose lips sink ships. You should know that 😂

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Again no. I pointed out that you're conflating the processed form of a naturally occurring substance, with a naturally occurring substance

Heroin is not the same as opium, and cocaine is not the same as coca leaves. 

You think they're the same?

Opium isn't processed, so it's OK by your reasoning then? What about deadly nightshade? What about strychnine?